Looking ahead - poss part worldie ....

Anything to do with World Cruises

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Looking ahead - poss part worldie ....

Post by Boris+ »

Fingers crossed!

I've had a look at the Masta website, I think we've got most of the jabs covered already.

Em

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I've read this thread with interest. We are booked on the Adonia Amazon cruise in 2016 and the Yellow Fever jab is a requirement for this cruise. We are both over 60 so obviously will have to investigate this. I clicked on the link to see where the nearest place is to have the injection and amazingly enough it's at our local surgery - in a small village too - and the GP registered for this is my husband's GP so hopefully we'll get some good advice as to the YF jab and any others we may need. We are only travelling a short way up the Amazon and back again but the rules say we have to have the jab or produce a certificate from the doctor to say we couldn't have the jab.

Carole

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Yes we had to have it when we did the Amazon in 2003. We were both well below the upper age limit then, so it wasn't an issue - though at any age the jab can have serious side effects, which is why they insist you remain at the surgery for a time afterwards.

Now of course the cover has expired. We are not sure what we would choose to do, should we need cover again. I think unless it was somewhere I was desperate to go, I would probably just not travel.
Gill

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

I can't see much point in having a doctors certificate saying you cannot have a yellow fever jab. This does not give you any protection if you are travelling into a yellow fever area.
For me, it's either you have the jab or don't travel.
Brian

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

BrianI wrote:
I can't see much point in having a doctors certificate saying you cannot have a yellow fever jab. This does not give you any protection if you are travelling into a yellow fever area.
I may be wrong about this but I thought that the doctor's exemption certificate was to allow you entry into countries that require you to have a YF certificate.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

david63 wrote:
BrianI wrote:
I may be wrong about this but I thought that the doctor's exemption certificate was to allow you entry into countries that require you to have a YF certificate.
That is exactly right, David. There are patients for whom the immunisation is medically inappropriate, therefore they travel at their own risk. The exemption certificate states that they shouldn't have the jab.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

BrianI wrote:
For me, it's either you have the jab or don't travel.
Brian
It is NOT saying that you cannot have one .... it formally states that you do not need one.

In the case of the UK this is the ruling as per MASTA or any other travel site that the NHS are authorised to use.

+

If the traveller is too old or opts not to have a jab then they run the risk of getting YF but also being refused entry into adjoining countries, they may also not be allowed to board the ship without certification ... this was the requirement for us in 2013 on Adonia starting in Rio.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

The point I was making was that it would be unwise to travel into a designated yellow fever area without having an actual jab.
Brian

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

BrianI wrote:
The point I was making was that it would be unwise to travel into a designated yellow fever area without having an actual jab.
Brian
Agreed

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Thanks everyone for all the kind and helpful points, posts and advice.

I personally wouldn't wish to actually 'go to' a YF location, however, I might briefly transit through to join a cruise - or that was my thought when I started this thread.

It now transpires that officially I don't actually need any YF jabs for the ports we are now booked for. I will go and double check with the GP at least 6 months before departure if I need any jabs or anything including the YF exemption paperwork, and have any jabs which are necessary - but not the YF one (won't need it anyway).

I'm not intending in any way shape or form to do any excursions anywhere into areas which have problems - and hopefully there won't be any problems at airports or ports alike.

Many thanks - Em

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote:
BrianI wrote:
Brian
Agreed
Agreed and agreed

:)

arrbee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by arrbee »

I've arrived late to this discussion and only read it this evening but would appreciate some advice. We're going round South America in January and took the advice of our GP practice on vaccinations etc. However from what I understand from this thread, if we visit Brazil we need a yellow fever vaccination to enter Uruguay even if we're only going to Yellow Fever free areas in Brazil and not the Amazon. Have I understood that correctly? I have checked the WHO website and coastal areas in Brazil are clearly shown as YF free on their map.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Uruguay immigration require ' certification ' if you intend to enter their Country via Brazil.

Cert 1 - Immunisation ( means you will not have contracted YF because you have had the jab )

or

Cert 2 - Exemption ( means you went to a non / low risk area in Brazil )

~~~~~

Cert 1 you get from the clinic that administers the jab and Cert 2 is privately available from your Doctor as proof positive that you went to Brazil but only into a non risk area like Rio, assuming that is the case of course. He/she gets the official info from a NHS approved site rather than anything that you may pitch up with.

These details with P&O via Rio were factually correct for travel from Brazil into Uruguay during February 2013.

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Not wanting to be nit-picky - MoB, and your post was kind and helpful, but you used the word 'went' ("as proof positive that you went to Brazil but only into a non risk area like Rio"), but might it not be "intended to visit" instead of "went"?

We are sort of in 'fingers crossed' mode for this YF lark - we've booked a world sector, but in the Far East. We've agreed between us that if we get as far as final payment and have serious (really serious) doubts about getting through to the ship and completing the itinerary without any YF documentation problems then we'll cancel and do a different cruise. At the moment, from what the cruise line say and other 'authorities' I think we're going to be ok. We have absolutely no intention of doing anything risky or going anywhere risky either.

Hope South America goes well - that's on our list too.

Em

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Boris+ wrote:
Not wanting to be nit-picky - MoB ...
My posting was actually directed at ' Arrbee ' so , in the first instance, I will, if I may, await any questions that may arise from that particular Member as this action on my part will hopefully avoid any further confusion on this Topic ;)

ps ... I will however add that the Uruguayan immigration Department are deffo only interested in those visitors who actually present themselves at Immigration rather than those who are as yet undecided.

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi MoB,

Well, thanks for that. Pardon me - I didn't read that your post was actually directed at anyone.

Em

arrbee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by arrbee »

Manoverboard wrote:
Uruguay immigration require ' certification ' if you intend to enter their Country via Brazil.

Cert 1 - Immunisation ( means you will not have contracted YF because you have had the jab )

or

~~~~~

Cert 1 you get from the clinic that administers the jab and Cert 2 is privately available from your Doctor as proof positive that you went to Brazil but only into a non risk area like Rio, assuming that is the case of course. He/she gets the official info from a NHS approved site rather than anything that you may pitch up with.

These details with P&O via Rio were factually correct for travel from Brazil into Uruguay during February 2013.
We're actually travelling with FO and they've said Yellow Fever vaccinations are "advisable" but said nothing about exemptions needed for Uruguay. We really appreciated your advice and will call in at our GP practice next week to share that with them. They've been really helpful considering we bombarded them with a long list of ports we're visiting and told us about the requirements for each one bu obviously didn't know about this exemption certificate. Thanks again.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

arrbee wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

or

~~~~~

We're actually travelling with FO and they've said Yellow Fever vaccinations are "advisable" but said nothing about exemptions needed for Uruguay. We really appreciated your advice and will call in at our GP practice next week to share that with them. They've been really helpful considering we bombarded them with a long list of ports we're visiting and told us about the requirements for each one bu obviously didn't know about this exemption certificate. Thanks again.
You are welcome, hope that you enjoy your cruise.

:wave:

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

It doesn't matter where we are going to travel, we always have found that our GP isn't completely on the ball, and that our pharmacy is a better starting point!

So for us, it's a combination of pharmacy, internet and the lovely forum members - and then we go to the GP, and more often than not, we don't ask them - we inform them.

We then feel that we have a well rounded overview of a situation - mainly because of our GP.

However, the advice and views found on this forum have been extremely helpful.

Have a great time arrbee.

Thanks to all.

Em

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi MoB,

Well, thanks for that. Pardon me - I didn't read that your post was actually directed at anyone.

Em
I should have used the ' Quote ' option of course ... sorry to confuse.

:angel:

Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

Manoverboard wrote:

or

~~~~~

Sorry but I'm totally confused now :? For Cert 2 how does your GP know you have only been to a non risk area in Brazil, or intend only going to one. I've got visions of him implanting tracker devices. :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Janet- wrote:
.... [Sorry but I'm totally confused now :? For Cert 2 how does your GP know you have only been to a non risk area in Brazil, or intend only going to one. I've got visions of him implanting tracker devices. :)
That's easy ...

You contact your Doctor before you go and explain to him/her that you are going to Rio, for example, and because he/she believes you he/she will then look up Rio on his immunisation requirements type database. He/she can then certify that you will be going to a non / low risk area in Brazil.

Money for old rope eh :lol:

The point being that the Immigration Officers in Uruguay will/would/may only let you in with a certificate of some sort but NOT just on your say so...... simples.

:wave:

Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

Thanks Manoverboard

I think I've got it now. You walk down the gangway waving a bit of paper in your hand (like Neville) and they believe you!

:crazy:

It sounds like another nice little earner for the doctor

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Yes, I agree with this 'money for old rope' thought - well said. It's a bit of a farce really, and who is to say that the certificate being flashed passed any immigration officials (or whatever they are) is bona fide? Make a mockery of it all really maybe?

However, I think I'm getting to the bottom of things now - all I really wanted to know was this: whether it's the Far East or South America, if you have the certificate saying you are exempt will the officials let you get on with the journey to the ship, whether it's at the start or in the middle of the cruise?

Sounds like the answer is 'yes' - what I was unsettled about was spending out the cost of the cruise and then coming unstuck somewhere and not being allowed to get onboard.

Huge thanks to everyone - but nevertheless, when it all happens I won't be content until I get to the top of the gangway and step into the ship; then I'll be happy and not before.

Em

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Probably a daft question, but if we sign up for a complete "worldie" which goes to YF zone, but we decide to stay onboard at that location, would we still need innoculating?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “World Cruises”