Queen Victoria - which deck?

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Queen Victoria - which deck?

Post by GillD46 »

Can I ask the QV afficionados - Em? - for some advice please?

We are about to book a couple of voyages on QV, as we have had to cancel a long World Cruise Sector next year for family reasons, and will be transferring our deposit and booking a Q5 on each. There is availability on decks 4, 5 and 8, which have the best balconies. I know you like the Q1s, Em, but we won't be choosing one of them - there isn't availability even if we wanted to book one - which we don't.

So which is the best deck for balconies?

Many thanks
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Queen Victoria - which deck?

Post by Dancing Queen »

As Em hasn't replied Gill I just thought I would mention we have had Q3/Q4 on both decks 7 and 8 and they have huge balconies although these have been mid ships and I believe the Q5's are aft, as I haven't seen one I wouldn't know if they are larger although looking at the deck plans 4188/89, 5189/90 and 8162/63 being corner ones look as if they have additional space to the side.

I can't be sure but I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can be overlooked from the cabins at the side of you on the wrap around balcony, that wouldn't particularly bother me but it might some.

We shall be on QV later in the year so happy to check it out for you if you wish.
Jo

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks very much, Jo. We have had Q3/Q4 on QE and while we liked them, actually wanted an aft facing cabin this time as we so loved those on Arcadia.

Having looked at various reviews on CC, I think we will probably go for 5190 which is available on both voyages. It's a great shame about San Fran-HK, but there you go :-(
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Gill,

Sorry I didn't look in before - granny duties!

We really like both decks 7 and 8, and I reckon if you are not going to opt for an aft suite then either will do. I suppose that deck 8 is maybe a bit better simply because our own personal rule when on board is that we simply do not use lifts (except for at the end of a long hard day ashore), so deck 8 is great because it's closer to the restaurants and the Grills lounge (for afternoon tea).

Then again, if we are after aft accommodation and deck 7 is booked up, then deck 8 is it for us.

Hope you get the accommodation you are after, and have a wonderful time.

Em

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks Em and Jo. After much deliberation, and after taking advice elsewhere, we opted for 5190. Both voyages all booked mow - with many thanks to our excellent TA and also Cunard for their great understanding and flexibility.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Have a truly magnificent time - every moment.

Em

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

That's great Gill.

I think Em has misunderstood your question so maybe now you have booked one of the corner aft suites she will be able to give you an idea of what to expect re the balcony.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Jo,

Apologies - I'm just plain worn out.

We prefer either deck 7 or 8 (or deck 6 at a push if there's a suitable suite), simply because it's not so far up to the restaurants. However, if it's a matter of which deck for aft balconies, my personal preference won't change.

If there are no suitable aft suites available on those decks, then we'll stick with either deck 7 or 8 and boogy along towards midships a bit.

Once again apologies. If anyone is concerned about the deck 8 balconies being overlooked - as QV is set out at the moment they aren't really, because there's always the portion of balcony which is nearest to the patio doors to provide a little privacy - but we've never had a problem.

Em

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

No need to apologise to me Em I just thought you had missed what Gill was asking about aft balconies.
Jo

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

No need for apologies, I probably wasn't very clear. Thanks for your comments.

I'm not worried about being overlooked - I shan't be doing anything I shouldn't! And I'm well used to the aft accommodation on Arcadia.

Thanks
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I tend to 'behave' when we have an aft balcony, however rumours have said that 'someone' was 'dancing in the rain with umbrellas' in one port, and busy doing various sporting antics in another!!!

Em

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

GillD46 wrote:
Thanks Em and Jo. After much deliberation, and after taking advice elsewhere, we opted for 5190. Both voyages all booked mow - with many thanks to our excellent TA and also Cunard for their great understanding and flexibility.
It would appear you have made an excellent choice with Deck 5, I asked a friend who has had one of these suites ( only just got her reply ) she has been on both 4 and 5 deck but said 5 is much better, I can also confirm that the corner ones do have a wrap around balcony.

She has also been in a Q1 and was very surprised that your question hadn't been answered .. in her words - you have a 'birds eye' view from decks 7/8 at the suites below although I hasten to add the balconies are deep so there is privacy too.

Anyway you are all sorted now but always good to have it confirmed that you've made the best choice :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Jo,

If someone is wondering whether there is a 'birdseye' view of decks below from accommodation aft on decks 7 and 8 (only really applies to QV, obviously), then the answer s a resounding 'yes'. It goes without saying that there is no view of anything really which happens on the area actually directly underneath the balcony one is standing on in order to have the view under normal circumstances. However, the portions of the lower balconies protruding - there is a clear view.

I've often seen people on the lower aft balconies in various types of nightwear (or not as the case may be) first thing in the morning.

Em

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

To go back to the original post the question asked was which deck ( 4, 5 or 8 ) had the best balconies, I couldn't answer that having never chosen aft but as you have I assumed at some point you would have looked over your balcony so would have offered a little info as to which in your opinion would be best regardless of whether they were overlooked.

As I said earlier I think you misunderstood what Gill was actually asking but no problem as she seems to have made the right choice anyway :thumbup:
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Jo,

Mostly it's never bothered us because 99% of the time we tend to look outwards and not down. However, if someone is 'having a hoot' on the exposed area of a lower balcony - well it would be rude not to, not so?

We've had some lovely times though, when we've struck up a conversation with people on the balcony below us, and people who we now look forward to seeing on board again.

Em

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

On Arcadia, the deck with the largest balconies is D - that's what I was after. Being overlooked or not isn't a problem - we are ALL overlooked on the open decks. d deck on Arcadia corresponds to deck 5 on QV so we seem to have made the right choice :thumbup:
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Have a lovely cruise - enjoy every minute.

Em

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thank you Em - though as we have swapped one for two so we'll enjoy both :thumbup:
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Way to go! Enjoy both superbly!

Em

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

I have come in a bit late on this discussion as I only returned from a med cruise on the QV today.

Just to say that we had an aft suite on deck 4 no 4191. It was lovely and the balcony very large . I would say it measured at least 20 feet wide by 10 feet deep. The suite itself was a good size with a picture window by the bed and floor to ceiling Patio doors in lounge area.
We never felt overlooked from above as sat mainly under the overhang of the deck 5 balcony. Also the sun was on our balcony daily at some time or another .
I never get tired of the view of the wake either. It is so relaxing.

Cruise was lovely with the only downside being the same shows in the theatre which we have seen many times before as they have not changed for the last four years to my knowledge.

Just one more word about the QV aft balconies ... We have heard that when she has a refit in December 2015 the aft suites are in for a change . Rumour has it that the rear of the ship may be restructured to bring it in line with the QE so the suite balconies will no longer be the lovely size they are now and more balcony cabins will be inserted.

Also a Britannia Club Class will be introduced with the restaurant situated where the Chart Room is at the moment.

Happy Sailing

Anne :thumbup:

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have heard the same rumours, Anne. A shame but understandable. Glad we will be going before then, as we' have the big wrap around balcony.

It sounds as though you had a good time. And I do know what you mean about the shows! But to be fair, I think all the ships/ cruise lines are the same.

Welcome home.
Gill

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Gill

Thought you may be interested to know that according to our butler the Grills A La Carte menu is due to be given a make over within the next few weeks. It has remained the same for the last 4 years. About time for a change I think :!:

I am glad you have the wrap round balcony. We had an almost identical one on Arcadia two years ago and it is so nice to have the side view as well as the aft.

Enjoy your cruise

Anne :)

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Interesting re the A la carte menu. Tony will enjoy the change, I tend to just order what I fancy in the morning, as being a veggie, it's easier. I LOVE the anility to go off menu, though I do really like that twice baked souffle they have on the menu.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Oh well - it will be what it will be - I'm not going to complain.

I'm just very content that I did get to thoroughly enjoy those fabulous aft balconies, and as for the menu change ...... I do try not to go A la carte very often.
Any changes though are going to make it more interesting hopefully - and hopefully we won't get stuck with this potential change for the next four years.

Em

Return to “Cunard”