The Cruise Ship on ITV

Anything about Princess cruises

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: The Cruise Ship on ITV

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Gill W wrote:
I didn't get all this driving round in the buggy.

Everyone else managed to get where they needed to quite easily it would appear. Why did those two blokes have to 'get lost' in the buggy. It made them look ridiculous!

surely everyone featured must be regretting it by now

There seemed to be a few people wandering around - couldn't this hapless pair have stopped and asked for directions? A group of over 2,000 people on a half-mile beach surely isn't THAT hard to find?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
A group of over 2,000 people on a half-mile beach surely isn't THAT hard to find?
It isn't - but then again it does not make for [good] television :lol:

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

After last night's episode we were trying to work out exactly what Princess were trying to do - who were they hoping the programme would appeal to? Or was it just Princess putting faith in the TV company - faith which was completely misplaced? If you take the stupid commentary away and the stupid comedian hamming it up would that be any better - with a different commentary? I assume Princess are hoping to attract new business - from whom? We have friends who have cruised with Princess for several years and they would never go with a company who are like Princess is portraying themselves. I'd like to know the reasoning behind it - assuming there is a reason.

Carole

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I think John Thomsons voice over makes the programme more cringeworthy than it need be. A better voice over and improved editing would improve it no end.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Well that's the end of that :thumbup:

Interesting that they gave the impression that the ship only does a six month season and then everyone goes home until next season.

One thing that I did notice tonight was the sea screen - it looks far better than the one on Azura

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Well that's the end of that :thumbup:

Interesting that they gave the impression that the ship only does a six month season and then everyone goes home until next season.

One thing that I did notice tonight was the sea screen - it looks far better than the one on Azura
Every sea screen is better than Azura. I didn't know they could make them that cheap.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

As a comedy sketch on cruise ship life I guess the programme worked, but it really did nothing to encourage anyone to want to cruise with such crass British characters as they managed to find. I just wonder how many normal interviews with passengers ended up on the cutting room floor.
In the end I thought that deputy Dan, in his more rational moments, was perhaps reasonable cruise director material, after all they do need to have an extrovert personality to do their job.
Final score 5.5 out of ten, report comment could have done better.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Just watched all four episodes on Catch-up - it was more entertaining than anything else on TV tonight.

O.K,. it was presumably intended to be cruising as seen by the crew and if Princess were hoping to attract a few more Mushroom Mandys they may have succeeded but if they were hoping for more than that, probably not - I suspect that they will have turned off more potential cruisers than they have attracted. Wasn't George an excellent "crooner"? :sarcasm:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

kaymar wrote:
Wasn't George an excellent "crooner"? :sarcasm:

Not bad at all, reminded me of Jimmy Rivers, who used to do the cruise ship circuit before he retired a few years ago.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Just watched a re-run of Mighty Ships on the Quest channel, featuring a Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Epic. If Princess and Fred had done their documentaries in a similar fashion, it would have given a far better impression of cruising.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “Princess”