Rail and sail?

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
BadHairBill
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Rail and sail?

Post by BadHairBill »

a couple of years back there was talk in the travel press of cruise lines introducing 'rail and sail' trips. I think the Orient Express or similar would have been part of it.
Did this happen? And if so, who is doing it?

Thank you

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Rail and sail?

Post by CaroleF »

I have seen adverts for rail/cruise trips which have the rail journey on the Orient Express (usually on the return journey) and the cruise on Cunard and Silverseas. Some of these are advertised by "Imagine Cruising" and "Readers Offers". There's one in the Daily Telegraph today. Its a 14 night trip - London Eurostar and then rail to Nice - a two night stay at the 5* Hyatt Regency (can fly if preferred) then transfer to Silversea Silver Cloud in Monte Carlo for 11 night journey to Venice. Then overnight stay on board in Venice and transfer to Orient Express to London. They are advertising a Veranda Suite for £7,499 or a Vista Suite for £5,999. This is a Readers Offers advertisement.

Carole

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Hi Bill - if you look under Cunard on this site you will see a report from Melsea who has done a cruise and rail trip - she gives a very full account of her experiences on both the QE2 and the Orient Express. She booked with Imagine Cruising - they seem to do a lot of this type of trip combining a cruise with a train ride or a few days in the Lakes - are you tempted? By the way Mel flew out to the ship.
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

CaroleF wrote:
I have seen adverts for rail/cruise trips which have the rail journey on the Orient Express (usually on the return journey) and the cruise on Cunard and Silverseas. Some of these are advertised by "Imagine Cruising" and "Readers Offers". There's one in the Daily Telegraph today. Its a 14 night trip - London Eurostar and then rail to Nice - a two night stay at the 5* Hyatt Regency (can fly if preferred) then transfer to Silversea Silver Cloud in Monte Carlo for 11 night journey to Venice. Then overnight stay on board in Venice and transfer to Orient Express to London. They are advertising a Veranda Suite for £7,499 or a Vista Suite for £5,999. This is a Readers Offers advertisement.

Carole
Wow, those aren't bad prices, I might take a look.
Gill

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Merv has just done one to Alaska
Nihil Obstat

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

GillD46 wrote:
CaroleF wrote:

Carole
Wow, those aren't bad prices, I might take a look.
Gill my sentiments exactly. I have always wanted a SS cruise.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have tried Regent and found them very good - though we do dislike the port intensive aspect. It was more the VSOE that appealed and the timing works for us in September. Still hate the fact there's no shower on board and a shared loo though and Tony may well veto it on that basis.
Gill

Topic author
BadHairBill
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by BadHairBill »

thank you all very much for your replies. Yes, we are tempted, not for this year or 2015, but will certainly take a look. Wife is very keen!

Marie Lloyd
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Marie Lloyd »

We did an 'Imagine Cruising' trip last year: Flight to Durban, 3 day Rovos Rail trip to Jo'burg, flight to Cape Town for 3 day stay then cruise back on Aurora. Rail trip was excellent. It included several stops for tours including a mini safari and a trip to Spion Cop where we had an excellent lecture. The train was very luxurious and stopped in a siding at night so as not to disturb our sleep. Hotels in Durban, Jo'burg and Cape Town were also good. Transport arrangements between airports and hotels were a bit chaotic but, in the end, it all added to the fun.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Dark Knight wrote:
Merv has just done one to Alaska
We certainly did. Flew to Calgary. Rocky Mountaineer train to Vancouver. Cruise to Anchorage. All in all 16 nights including some two night city stopovers. Excellent trip.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”