A must for everyone flying these days

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

A must for everyone flying these days

Post by Ray Scully »

How many times has your space on an aircraft been invaded by the selfish people in the seats in front?
These people in my book are akin to sunbed hoggers or even worse balcony smokers.
But fear not folks the answer to your problem lies here
http://www.gadgetduck.com/

Ray

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A must for everyone flying these days

Post by david63 »

But don't try using them on an American airline as they are banned - and possibly soon to be banned elsewhere due to the "aggro" that they are creating

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

david63 wrote:
But don't try using them on an American airline as they are banned - and possibly soon to be banned elsewhere due to the "aggro" that they are creating

Selfish people rule. OK?

NOT OK :x :x :x

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Ray - I am totally on your side about this :thumbup:

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

david63 wrote:
Ray - I am totally on your side about this :thumbup:

Wow David that must be a first ;) :thumbup:

Ray

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We had a nightmare flight back from the Maldives for 14 hours with the pig and mrs pig in front of us deciding that they wanted our space as well as their's. No amount of complaining, pleading or arguing could get them to be reasonable. It was impossible to drop our table or read a book. I only wish I'd had my camera with me so that I could have shamed them to the world.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I have to put the other side here.

My husband had a severe spinal problem that sadly surgery exacerbated. He simply CAN'T sit upright for any length of time, it causes him severe pain and worse he loses all sensation from the waist down. For that reason we always fly business, but were we not able to afford that - and we fly less often so we CAN afford it - he would HAVE to recline. After all, that is what the recline is for - surely?
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

GillD46 wrote:
I have to put the other side here.

My husband had a severe spinal problem that sadly surgery exacerbated. He simply CAN'T sit upright for any length of time, it causes him severe pain and worse he loses all sensation from the waist down. For that reason we always fly business, but were we not able to afford that - and we fly less often so we CAN afford it - he would HAVE to recline. After all, that is what the recline is for - surely?
Yours is a special circumstance but the recline takes space away from the person behind. In my opinion ion the amount of recline should be severely restricted and if somebody wants the space of two seats then they should pay to travel up front.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Well, I guess we all have our differing opinions. Thankfully, we shan't have any issue reclining/converting our seats /beds ourselves.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

On most aircraft though there are some seats where when reclined they do not impinge on other passengers - although I accept that they are few and far between.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We had the ' Recliner from Hell ;) ' in front of us on a recent short European scheduled flight, thankfully it was not long haul. The problem was that one of the couple in front of us insisted on reclining her seat as far as possible but we were in a seat that was fixed and so it could not recline to enable us, Mobietta actually, to compensate for the ###### person in front.

As an aside but related of course ... I have thought for a very long time that seats should NOT recline unless they are to be used for long haul else overnight flights.

ps ... Ray's gizmo is deffo a no-no :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

I think the airlines objection to these devices is that they lock the tray in the down position so if an "incident" occurs mid flight it would impede passengers trying to get out.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

JoanneB wrote:
I think the airlines objection to these devices is that they lock the tray in the down position so if an "incident" occurs mid flight it would impede passengers trying to get out.
But would it impede them as much as a full reclined seat?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We often use Jet2 to fly to Madeira and while their seats are not the most comfortable in the world they do not recline so we don't have that problem. I did read somewhere that non-reclining seats might become the norm on short haul flights.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We no longer fly, but when we did I only used the recliner on long haul flights, and then I would not recline fully if asked by the passenger behind. If you wanted to relax comfortably on a long flight I found that it was necessary to recline the seat otherwise you quickly developed a cricked neck and felt far too restricted. So I have sympathies with both points of view.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We require the reclining position on long haul flights only but will not fly unless we are booked into Premium Economy on a scheduled Airline like BA or Virgin Atlantic as these Airlines have that ' Class ', this way there are no issues at all about seat reclining impacting other passengers.

ps ... I hope Merv is correct as there is no reason, imo, for reclining seats on short daytime hops.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”