Anything about Thomson cruises

Topic author
BadHairBill
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Thomson generally and Dream in particular

Post by BadHairBill »

hope someone can enlighten me/us.

My sons have said they fancy going on Thomson Dream (I knew I shouldn't have left the brochure lying around). We've never sailed with this cruise line so it's uncharted waters for us.

Can anyone give us some idea of how suitable the Thomson ships are for teenage boys (aged 14) who just want a good time, and their aging parents who prefer a quiet and relaxing time. The boys seem to want non-stop discos and partying these days, while Callie and I just want to relax, read, eat and sunbathe!

Many thanks

BHB

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Thomson generally and Dream in particular

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Batty is our resident Thomson salesman expert. I'm sure he'll be able to give you an intelligent answer.

However, one tip from me.

Book separate two cruises. One for you. One for the teenagers. Seemples.

Deefitz
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Deefitz »

Sorry can't help you, we've done Thomson and we are doing them again next year but always choose adults only cruises.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

There are far more similarities between the various cruise lines than there are differences. Friends had booked a Thomson cruise and asked us to join them earlier this year.

All the elements of a cruise were there but what we found is that, while everything was 'good', there was nothing that really stood out for us .. there wasn't anything that pushed it into the 'excellent' box. The food was good and very much on a par with other lines, the entertainment was good but has been bettered on other lines, the cabin was fine, the steward and waiters were very good. As far as discos are concerned they did have quite a vibrant night life but for those of us that wanted to relax, eat and sunbathe then there was plenty of opportunity for that as well ... all the elements are there.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great time but neither of us are fans of the smaller ships (personal preference). While it would not be our first choice, we would have no hesitation in doing another Thomson cruise but we would probably consider 1 week rather than 2 ... maybe a stay/cruise type of vacation. On the other hand our friends, who were cruising for the first time, were totally blown away by the experience ... so we are hoping they might be able to join us on our next P&O cruise so that they can experience a bigger ship.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

We have only done one Thompson cruise (Red Sea, as part of a 2 week cruise and stay) I agree with much of what Kendhni says. We actually loved our cruise and would be more than happy to take another with Thompson (perhaps their Black Sea, flying to Turkey) All in all, especially if you don't book early enough to nab a free 'all inclusive' package, we find the costs seem to be higher than eg P&O ex Southampton, so that would be a factor. We thought the excursions were quite pricey too - though that is a criticism which could be levelled at the majority of the cruise lines

Our crise was adults only, so I can't comment on facilities for younger people. Probably, if it was me with teenagers needing their facilities and friends to allow me to have a great holiday, I would go for a larger ship with more facilities and more teenagers

I will post a review of Thompson, if I can find it. It was Jan 2012, so before the worst of the current Egyptian political/social problems. I wouldn't go now and I doubt whether all of the trips we took are available currently

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Bill
we were on then Dream in January this year jollying off round the Carribean.
The ship is an older ship and has less facilities then the larger more modern ships, it holds about 1500 passengers, cabins are clean comfortable and we found them to be larger than the comparable grades on Azura or Ventura
I would say it is a more traditional ship then many of the new super lines and this is reflected in the décor, the amenities and the facilities available.
the cruise we did was 99% adults due to the time of year but there is a kids club available.
the food was good with plenty of choice each night and there is an excellent speciality restaurant for a modest cover fee, the food from the buffets and deck stations was also very good.
the drinks are UK pub prices but as said before, if you book early enough on certain cruises you do get the AI package for free.
The entertainment was of a similar standard to Pando as was the daytime activities, which were both varied and plentiful
the one difference we noticed was that we spent more time in port than many other ships by up to 4 hours, arriving earlier and leaving later
The ship was spotlessly clean, the crew were much friendlier than we found on Pando and made areal effort every day and nothing was too much trouble
it was also worth noting that we didn't hear of any complaints/moans or gripes from fellow passengers and many were returning for the 8th, 9th , 10th time etc

is it for you? and teenage children....probably not , as the ships do not have the facilities for teenagers either during the day or at night, there are no wave riders, climbing walls, cyber cafe's etc
For us it was a very good relaxing holiday but more adult focused, but this may be the time of year and the itinerary we chose rather than the ship
I would have a look on Facebook at the Thomson groups and ask for advice from people with children, as I can't really help with that bit of your question

One thing I would say, is that whilst the ships they may be older and smaller, we found the atmosphere to be far livelier and more friendly than PandO and the average age to be at least 10-15 years younger.
we enjoyed Thomson's so much we have booked 2 further cruises with them
if you need anything else ,send me a message and I will try to help
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

See I said he'd know. :clap:

Return to “Thomson”