Cruise Parking

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Cruise Parking

Post by Dancing Queen »

I've just booked the De Vere for our next cruise £249 B&B in a de-luxe room with 23 days parking and transport to/from the port I think that is pretty good :thumbup: for an extra £30 I could have booked an evening meal but we like to eat in the Oxford Street area as there is so much choice.
Jo

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cruise Parking

Post by david63 »

That sounds pretty good to me too. We are going to be looking for something similar for next year so will bear it in mind - even though we are not particularly keen on the Grand Harbour (I assume that is where you mean)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

..................or is this the New Place De Vere? That's a very good price DQ.

Topic author
Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

david63 wrote:
That sounds pretty good to me too. We are going to be looking for something similar for next year so will bear it in mind - even though we are not particularly keen on the Grand Harbour (I assume that is where you mean)
Sorry, yes I do mean the Grand Harbour. old habits as I've always referred to it as the DeVere but realise it is no longer part of the group.

I had looked on various sites then decided to check the cruise packages on the Grand Harbour site ( got it right that time :lol: ) the price quoted was for up to 21 days parking so a quick email asking if I could add the two extra days and by return a yes with no extra charge.

We have found the hotel to be very hit/miss over the years although our last stay there was very good so I think it's the luck of the draw as it is with most hotels for one night, it has also recently been refurbished.

Foxy, as above it is the Grand Harbour and not the New Place.
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks DQ. I looked up the de Vere hotel group and the only one there was New Place.

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

oldbluefox wrote:
Thanks DQ. I looked up the de Vere hotel group and the only one there was New Place.
We booked this package when we did the New York cruise - couldn't risk missing the ship! - and found it excellent value. We had the evening meal, 2 bottles of wine in our room, plus drinks with meal, breakfast and lunch before a free transfer to the ship and back on return and free parking. We did take our older car though as you are parked in their carpark which is not very secure.

It was extremely good value for money - only downside was no air conditioning in the rooms but, hopefully, they have put this in with the upgraded facilities.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I read somewhere about people in the Southampton area 'renting out' their driveways ... and then act as taxi service to/from the port.
No idea of costs though?

Topic author
Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

There is a website called parkonmydrive Ken and the prices look very good ranging from £5 to £10 per night, I'm just a bit apprehensive not knowing the area, I suppose the same can be said for leaving your car at a hotel but at least there does seem to be a certain level of security.

I would be much simpler if CPS charged a more reasonable rate, fine if you are only away for 7/10 days but it starts to look a bit silly when you need 20+ days then hotel accommodation / meals pre cruise ...not much change out of £500 :( :(
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've not yet done a cruise of that length and have always opted for the free parking option when booking our shorter cruises. If/when we do manage a longer one, however, I've already looked into the costs of one way car hire from home to Southampton and then back at the end, and the conclusion is that it would be a much more cost effective option. Then we'd take the OBC option when booking.

Another alternative of course would be the coach, but Trish is not a great coach traveller. Our final one would be to send most of the luggage via the baggage company and go by train, though I've not fully costed that.

Topic author
Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We did have the choice of free parking Mervyn, coach travel or $4500 OBC so it was a no brainer really ( and yes I will manage to spend all that :lol: )
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think I could have a good crack at spending that too!

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Somehow I think the $4500 OBC would win for me as well :)
Hopefully that includes your shareholder benefit :)

Topic author
Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Kendhni wrote:
Somehow I think the $4500 OBC would win for me as well :)
Hopefully that includes your shareholder benefit :)
No, we are not shareholders, it was always something we meant to do and never did ..our loss we should have done it years ago :o
Jo

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

DQ, If you had said you were taking 2 cars as you were 'good friends' travelling from different areas would you have got double OBC.

Topic author
Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

That was double OBC Andrea and it was per cabin not pp.
Jo

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

I didn't expect being cheeky would gain you more. It is certainly the icing on the cake.

Southwinds
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Southwinds »

oldbluefox wrote:
De Vere no longer own Grand Harbour....it's had a massive refit and looks far better ...

Just google Grand Harbour Southampton

We got a great deal via Trivargo....

B&b £109 for two.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We might try it again sometime. We like the position but our last visit, some years back under De Vere, was a disappointment. The restaurant service was atrocious.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
The restaurant service was atrocious.
... it was never that good :thumbdown:

Topic author
Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We tend to eat out in the Oxford Street area which is just a short walk from the hotel and restaurants to suit just about every taste in food.

Thanks for that Southwinds I should really have said the Grand Harbour as I am aware it no longer belongs to the De Vere Group, old habits as I have always referred to it as the De Vere rather than the hotel name.

Yes there are quite a few deals around for £109 not all of them are clear though if it is b&b and of course that price is a 'no cancellation' option which whilst I appreciate none of us expect to cancel it can happen, I suppose there is always the chance your insurance will pay up but who knows until it is put to the test when you have accepted certain conditions.

Not the Grand Harbour but another hotel I had booked + parking, I then had to cancel the cruise and realised I would be charged by the hotel as it was booked with no cancellation, it was never really an issue and I would have tried through insurance but as it happened I made a courtesy call to the hotel to advise them we would be a no show and why and they very kindly gave us a full refund ..now that is what I call good service !!!
Jo

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”