All Inclusive

Topics that are specific to cruising

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: All Inclusive

Post by Dark Knight »

Keefy
dining times tend to be flexible at most hotels, in so far as they are between say 7.00pm to 9.00pm
but open seating
it is true some of the house wines can be ropey, so Lady Dark tells me, but the drinks list is usually very comprehensive
Nihil Obstat

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

We've done several AI hotel stays in the Caribbean, and farther afield - at both Sandals and lesser hotels. Never found a problem with people drinking to excess "just because it's inluded". It's natural though I guess, to have the odd few more than you might if paying by the glass.

We are on Thomson Cruise AI package in just over a week's time, so will report back, to compare with Dark Knight's experiences. We also got the AI package for free, due to an early booking, so won't begrudge paying for the occasional bottle of wine if the included wine is unpaletable.

...or maybe we'll just stay on included Gordon's & tonic with the meals instead? :lol:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Onelife wrote:
Never done an AI but the ones we have looked at seem to be good value for money. That being said lm not so sure l would like to be tied down to set dining times and limited drink packages (house wines) which l believe is the norm on many of these all inclusive holidays.
Keefy, the Thomson AI package includes branded (though not all Premium) spirits etc. For eg, you can have Gordon's gin, but Sapphire is extra (it was bleeding well included this time last year too! :twisted: )

The house wine (by the glass only on AI) has been variously described as everything from "drinkable" through to "vinegar", so I'll reserve judgement until next week.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Romig
I am not a wine drinker, over priced grape juice :D , so I just stuck to beer during meals
Lady D bought a couple of bottles ;) of Zinfandel to go along with her evening meals and she said it was very palatable and a reasonable price, as is usual, if you don't drink it all in one go, then they keep it for you
Nihil Obstat

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Romig1 wrote:
We've done several AI hotel stays in the Caribbean, and farther afield - at both Sandals and lesser hotels. Never found a problem with people drinking to excess "just because it's inluded". It's natural though I guess, to have the odd few more than you might if paying by the glass.

We are on Thomson Cruise AI package in just over a week's time, so will report back, to compare with Dark Knight's experiences. We also got the AI package for free, due to an early booking, so won't begrudge paying for the occasional bottle of wine if the included wine is unpaletable.

...or maybe we'll just stay on included Gordon's & tonic with the meals instead? :lol:

Have a great time on your cruise,Rob and Wina - you're always on holiday !!! :wave:

Maureen x

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Kenmo1 wrote:
Romig1 wrote:

Have a great time on your cruise,Rob and Wina - you're always on holiday !!! :wave:

Maureen x
Thanks Maureen. :D

But, I'll have you know that we're NOT always on holiday, in fact we haven't been away since last week! I guess it just feels that way, as you obviously miss us so much! :lol:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

just booked our next cruise for 2015,with a "free" All inc upgrade, well at no extra cost at least :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

We've booked an east-bound transatlantic on the QM2 for 2015 - sadly, that'll be all-exclusive!!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

On balance I know which of the two I'd prefer! Really fancy a transatlantic on QM2 but want to do the west bound and sail into New York. But then if either of you gentlemen find you are unable to take your cruise and wish to donate it to a good cause, you know where I am.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Romig1 wrote:
Onelife wrote:
Never done an AI but the ones we have looked at seem to be good value for money. That being said lm not so sure l would like to be tied down to set dining times and limited drink packages (house wines) which l believe is the norm on many of these all inclusive holidays.
Keefy, the Thomson AI package includes branded (though not all Premium) spirits etc. For eg, you can have Gordon's gin, but Sapphire is extra (it was bleeding well included this time last year too! :twisted: )

The house wine (by the glass only on AI) has been variously described as everything from "drinkable" through to "vinegar", so I'll reserve judgement until next week.
WHAT!, and here's me thinking I might try a thomson cruise next year.

Funny thing about Thomson is you get the AI package, usually free if you book early but if you cruise on Majesty or Spirit IMO there are better offers. You can pre pay for say 35 pints of beer/lager and only be charged for 25? for a lot of people this works out cheaper than the priced AI especially as all members of the party have to have it. The 2 Louis run ships seem to be getting better reviews than the bare bone charter ones as well.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

looking at the brochure, Dave, the only cruises where the AI isn't free for early bookers are the Caribbean ones
the Thomson FB page is a much more measured place than most other forums and it is mercifully free of trolls and sycophantic followers, you get an honest unbiased opinion on all aspects of the Thomson cruises and ships, rather than the usual blinkered view you see on here and other cruise sites
Nihil Obstat

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
On balance I know which of the two I'd prefer! Really fancy a transatlantic on QM2 but want to do the west bound and sail into New York. But then if either of you gentlemen find you are unable to take your cruise and wish to donate it to a good cause, you know where I am.

The early morning sail-in under the Verazzono Narrows bridge, and seeing the sun rise over Manhattan is truly worth getting up for (even at 0400) but then you have the long flight home and the associated jet lag. It's best (IMHO) to do the east-bound crossing, so you don't get the jet-lag. In an ideal world, you'd sail there AND back again!!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I had an email yesterday from MSC, offering 7 night cruises from £499, with free car parking and unlimited house wine, beer and soft drinks at lunch and dinner.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
I had an email yesterday from MSC, offering 7 night cruises from £499, with free car parking and unlimited house wine, beer and soft drinks at lunch and dinner.
That unlimited drink won't help your diet, Alan.

Maureen

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Kenmo1 wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
That unlimited drink won't help your diet, Alan.

Maureen

I didn't say I'd booked, Maureen, but according to recent studies, it isn't the alcohol that causes the problem, it's the food you eat with the drink!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

The early morning sail-in under the Verazzono Narrows bridge, and seeing the sun rise over Manhattan is truly worth getting up for (even at 0400) but then you have the long flight home and the associated jet lag. It's best (IMHO) to do the east-bound crossing, so you don't get the jet-lag. In an ideal world, you'd sail there AND back again!!
Now there's a plan! One day we might actually do a there and back, but not consecutively. Sail out, do a bit of touring, sail back a bit later.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”