Photograph Prices

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Photograph Prices

Post by cornmillgirl »

Have I been in a bubble somewhere and the prices of onboard photos have shot up. On board Oceana a 8x10 photo was £11.80. They
must be saving money just by the fact they no longer display each photo on stands in the photo gallery and save the time of someone
actually doing so. And although the ink is expensive the prices seem very high. Maybe they are recouping the price of putting in all
the photograph terminals. There was also a cruise diary!! available at a price of £70 not sure what that is, we saw the price and left.

hidehi
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Photograph Prices

Post by hidehi »

That is cheap! (not really) I paid £13+ and £21+ for 8x10 photos on Ventura! why the formal one was so much more i really don't know. Fell into the trap of wanting a memento of our first cruise hmmm

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Not seen you here before, Hidehi, so welcome from me to the forum.

CMG, the cruise diary we've seen before is a DVD which is supposed to show the highlights of that particular cruise. The one we bought a few years ago was £17. The one my mum bought a couple of years ago was £17. They shared some of the same material. Of the actual cruise (ie, life on board) there was very little material. Mum got her money back.

They are a complete waste of money. If they are really asking £70, they must be living in cloud cuckoo land. :thumbdown:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Not seen you here before, Hidehi, so welcome from me to the forum.

CMG, the cruise diary we've seen before is a DVD which is supposed to show the highlights of that particular cruise. The one we bought a few years ago was £17. The one my mum bought a couple of years ago was £17. They shared some of the same material. Of the actual cruise (ie, life on board) there was very little material. Mum got her money back.

They are a complete waste of money. If they are really asking £70, they must be living in cloud cuckoo land. :thumbdown:
Hi Silver Shiney
The cruise DVD was about £17 or £19 (we did not buy it never have). But the cruise diary was an item listed when you checked out on the photo
terminals at £70 but I dont know what it is. Although I would imagine it would be a waste of money.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Just making a stab in the dark here but could the "cruise diary" be a collection of photos, of your choice, taken throughout the cruise? If so then depending on how many are in it, and that you actually want any/all of the photos, then it could be a saving on buying individual ones.

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

You could well be right david63, we only bought one photo on the last night (group table shot) and it was hectic so did not have time or the inclination
to investigate.

Keechy
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Keechy »

When you consider the number of photographers and cost materials, it's probably not that expensive but if the diary is just a collection of stock photos, it's way over the top. What would it cost for a family portrait on land?

We used to think, "Let them take pictures if they want to - we don't have to buy them," but then we thought I was just wasting their time and effort so now we just decline having the the photo taken in the first place. We have video and photographs of our own and we've done the formal photos before.
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Keechy wrote:
What would it cost for a family portrait on land?
A lot more than it does on a ship - however you would get a better photograph taken, probably, by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

hi silver shiney
we have bought several of the videos on different cruises and they do vary enormously the one we got for the western med was not very good at all but the last one got on Oriana in march northern lights cruise was brilliant showing bits from the kitchen and laundry drying the shirts with the arms blowing about was fun also on this cruise they put a rib out entering Alta which produced some great shots also there were some great shots of the northern lights so it was the best £17 pounds worth we have spent in a long time.
graham

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have purchased, and have on display, two on-board ship related pics after 17 years of cruising.

One with us plus the Captain on our very first P&O cruise in 2001 and the second on Aurora, 2013, as a reminder of where we were on our 50th Wedding Anniversary.

Do you think I am being too extravagant ? ;)

ps ... I don't really care how much they are, it doesn't matter as a one, or even a two, off.

:wtf:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

I was only asking if people had noticed how the prices of photos had shot up, because we certainly have, but we do always buy the
table shot (thats if our dining companions are folk we want to remember though!!! :D ). However I still think they are expensive, and
each time we board we seem to notice price hikes, like the spinning classes now £7 used to be £5. Maybe P&O think we dont notice :sarcasm:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Oh, I do agree CMG ... far too expensive for what they are and generally not of a quality that I am prepared to pay for.

We generally avoid having a table shot, mainly because Mobietta insists that she is not at her best with spinach in her teeth :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Manoverboard wrote:
We generally avoid having a table shot, mainly because Mobietta insists that she is not at her best with spinach in her teeth :lol:
With a husband called Popeye you can imagine how much spinach I eat!! So I never smile on photos :D

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

We always have a table shot - taken by the waiter with our camera. Got some super ones. never bought a photograph on board yet.

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

We used to buy some of the photos from our first few cruises , don't bother any more. For one thing we're getting older so they don't look so nice anymore ! The cruise diary is very nice our children bought us one in 2012 for our 40th wedding anniversary, you get a selection of photos printed in a book along with lots of facts about the cruise and the ports you've been to. We were also given the prints of the photos we chose, which was nice as our daughter kept those. I agree that the price of the photos is getting ridiculous now, if they halved the price they would sell twice as much ! So no loss overall.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”