Taxi - Zeebrugge to Bruge

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Taxi - Zeebrugge to Bruge

Post by Stephen »

Taxis from the cruise terminal at Zeebrugge to Bruge.

We will be a group of 4 and thinking of getting a taxi to Bruge and back Mid December which I believe costs 50 Euros each way.

Does anyone have any experience of them and can offer any useful information please such as, should we book the same taxi to take us back to the ship and can they be relied upon to turn up.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Taxi - Zeebrugge to Bruge

Post by Dancing Queen »

No problem Stephen the driver will pre arrange a time to pick you up which is convenient to you, we have done this several times without any problems.

We were there December last year so I can confirm the cost was 50 euro each way then.
Jo

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks DQ

Are there plenty to go round at the cruise terminal or is it a bit of a scrum come de-boarding time. Just so that I know if I need to pack the elbow pads or not :D

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

There were lined up last year and no scrums so you can leave the elbow pads at home, many seem to take the shuttle to Blankenberg and then take the train to Bruges which is supposedly very easy to do but there is only one train an hour in winter so if you just miss one it's a lot of hanging around, I prefer the convenience of a taxi and it drops you off right in the main square.
Jo

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

I second that. So convenient and very reliable for the return journey. Taking the train is fun, but they are less frequent on a Sunday as well.
It's a fair walk from the station to town, but if you can manage it I recommend taking a taxi to the train station and going to see the fabulous ice sculpture festival, which is situated right next to the station, walk into town and arrange your return taxi from the main square, where the Christmas market and outdoor ice rink will be.

http://www.brugesinfo.com/ice-sculpture-festival.php

I hope the link works!

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for the info DQ and AnnC :thumbup:

June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

Do we have to walk far to get to the taxis or are they visible from the ship? I've been before but cannot remember the layout and last time we used the Blankenburg shuttle and the train.

Thanks

June

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I have a sneaky suspicion that only booked taxis are allowed to enter the port area. I have seen taxis in that area, but it is a 'secure' area. We prefer to go to Blankenberg, so we've never not really looked for a taxi rank at the Port Gates - but walking inside the port is not allowed.

Em

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

There are also direct trains from Zeebrugge every two hours on a Sunday.

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ ... brugge.cfm

Or try a pre-booking
http://brugsetaxiservice.be

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi QB,

I think that just maybe the trains actually go from Blankenberg - which is where the shuttle bus goes to. It stops at the church in the town centre, next to the police station, and to walk from there to the train station is just a couple of hundred yards.

Possibly because Zeebrugge is one of those ports where the port has to be secure, the shuttle bus is free?

Em

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi QB,

I think that just maybe the trains actually go from Blankenberg - which is where the shuttle bus goes to. It stops at the church in the town centre, next to the police station, and to walk from there to the train station is just a couple of hundred yards.

Possibly because Zeebrugge is one of those ports where the port has to be secure, the shuttle bus is free?

Em
Yes Em,

The trains from Blankenberge are more frequent but you have to get there first. Bus, tram, bicycle, walk...

If the bus to the gate is compulsory then there's no charge (I'm pretty certain).

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

June1969 wrote:
Do we have to walk far to get to the taxis or are they visible from the ship? I've been before but cannot remember the layout and last time we used the Blankenburg shuttle and the train.

Thanks

June
As you disembark June they are about 20 yards away you can't miss them.

Em is incorrect we didn't pre book a taxi and we must have had a dozen at least to choose from.
Jo

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

Everyone forms an orderly queue and taxis are always coming and going. You just get into the next one that arrives when you get to the head of the queue. If a people carrier arrives and you don't have enough people to fill it, just team up with another couple or two. It's cheaper and you make new friends!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Jo,

It's just that when we go ashore in Zeebrugge I've always (and moreso nowadays) got my mind firmly fixed on visiting a couple of shops in particular in Blankenberg - I'm a joy to take shopping, I just have my mind fixed on which shops and what I'm looking for!!! (I'm a joy to take shopping if you don't like dithering in the shops, that is!).

So, I've never noticed the taxis - sorry.

However, thanks for the tip Jo.

Em

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

When we did a trip which included Zeebrugge a few years ago we ordered a taxi from www.brugsetaxiservice.com and they were waiting for us by the ship when we docked. We didn't pay anything in advance - the taxi took us right into the middle of Bruges where coaches can't go. We paid the driver for that journey and arranged what time we were to be picked up and where and the taxi was there right on time. It was a few years ago as I said and then it cost 45Euros per journey but it's probably gone up since then. It was worth it to us to be taken right into the centre of Bruges rather than wasting time having to walk from where the bus drops you.

Carole

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

CaroleF wrote:
When we did a trip which included Zeebrugge a few years ago we ordered a taxi from http://www.brugsetaxiservice.com and they were waiting for us by the ship when we docked. We didn't pay anything in advance - the taxi took us right into the middle of Bruges where coaches can't go. We paid the driver for that journey and arranged what time we were to be picked up and where and the taxi was there right on time. It was a few years ago as I said and then it cost 45Euros per journey but it's probably gone up since then. It was worth it to us to be taken right into the centre of Bruges rather than wasting time having to walk from where the bus drops you.

Carole
Unless I'm doing something wrong Carole the link only offers local UK taxi information.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi Jo,

It's just that when we go ashore in Zeebrugge I've always (and moreso nowadays) got my mind firmly fixed on visiting a couple of shops in particular in Blankenberg - I'm a joy to take shopping, I just have my mind fixed on which shops and what I'm looking for!!! (I'm a joy to take shopping if you don't like dithering in the shops, that is!).

So, I've never noticed the taxis - sorry.

However, thanks for the tip Jo.

Em
That's ok Em, I was just correcting your 'suspicion' that there were no taxi's shore side, having used them on more than one occasion I was talking from experience rather than suspicion but I guess if you only use the free shuttle you wouldn't have known.
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

ItsmeAnnC wrote:
Everyone forms an orderly queue and taxis are always coming and going. You just get into the next one that arrives when you get to the head of the queue. If a people carrier arrives and you don't have enough people to fill it, just team up with another couple or two. It's cheaper and you make new friends!
The first time we did this Ann there was a long queue of people waiting for the shuttle so I just went over and asked if anyone would be interested in sharing and said how much it would cost, it took all of 10 seconds to get 2 other couples to share, the fact that it was pouring down might have helped though :lol: I think once people realise it isn't that expensive when sharing they are more than willing and as you say you make new friends too, when we were there last year I had already pre-arranged the share via cruise critic and both couples were a delight.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Jo,

It's a 'failing' of mine - which needs correcting admittedly - when I know an area I don't go for the tourist routes, I head for places purposefully because I want to get stuff done or see people.

I know, I've got to learn to be more relaxed - or chilled out as many would say - I'm working on it!

Em

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have also just jumped into the first taxi alongside the ship. Not booked, but just there waiting for fares. A most convenient way to get to Bruges.
Gill

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

You can book your return taxi with the driver who takes you into Bruges - if they are already booked they will radio their office and arrange one for you. Don't forget to get their card. One time when we had shared a taxi with a couple of ladies, one felt ill and had to return to the ship early. Bless them, they found us and told us. We were ready to go back anyway so I rang the number on the card from my mobile and they came and fetched us there and then.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

GillD46 wrote:
We have also just jumped into the first taxi alongside the ship. Not booked, but just there waiting for fares. A most convenient way to get to Bruges.
Hope you asked the price first Gill or your first stop could be the cash point :D .........I trust no one.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Yes Stephen you're right about the link. All I can say is that is the email address that previously connected us straight with the company - things must have changed.

Carole

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”