Ship Visit – Marco Polo - 14th December 2013

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Ship Visit – Marco Polo - 14th December 2013

Post by Gill W »

We did a short visit to the Marco Polo, berthed at Tilbury.

A local tour company was offering this as a day trip, so we thought it’d be a good idea to have a look round this smaller vessel.

We got our first sight of the ship at Gravesend, when the coach picked up some people from the town. Unfortunately there was no quick route to the opposite bank of the Thames at this point. We had to go the long way round, via the Dartford Crossing.

We arrived at the Tilbury dock area around 10.45, and entered the terminal building. The terminal is an attractive 1930’s brick built building. Nothing like the size of Southampton’s terminals, but certainly very presentable.

There was seating inside the building, and a counter where you could buy tea or coffee. We were called to embark at around 11am. We weren’t done in batches, we were all called at the same time, and had to get into a long queue that snaked around the building. There were five check in agents. We had to show photo ID, and we were ticked off on the guest list and handed a credit card sized piece of plastic with a number on. We then advanced through security. Neither we or our handbags were scanned – to be honest I thought this was a bit lax.

At the gangway we were hand gelled, and then made our way on board. We didn’t have to show our numbered cards at this point, and the cards weren’t wiped or scanned.

We entered the ship at deck 6 which is adjacent to the main dining room, The Waldorf Restaurant. We were issued with a map of the ship, which also gave the location of the show cabins.

The main passenger area is on deck 8, so we followed the crowd up the stairs to that level.

The main bar on the ship is The Captains Club, were we were served with a complimentary wine or soft drink. We arrived here at around 11.45am. This was seemed to be a nice bright room with lots of seating, and a white grand piano. After our drink, we did bit of exploring.

Deck 8, as I mentioned is the main passenger area. Starting at the ‘pointy end’ and working aft, the rooms are as follows. The Marco Polo Lounge, which is the main entertainment venue. Then comes The Captains Club. Exiting that bar, you come to Reception and the Tours Desk. After this, you encounter the small shop area and The Palm Garden. I liked the Palm Garden very much, with lots of greenery and it seemed as if it’d be a nice place to sit. Moving further aft, there’s the Columbus Lounge, the library and the card room. Then Marcos Restaurant, which is the self service buffet. You are then able to step outside on to the open decks. There is quite a large open area with tables and chairs around the pool – I thought this part looked very pleasant.

We then went up a deck looked into Scott’s Bar on the aft of deck 9, and then continued on the outside of the ship, working our way forward. I thought we had got to midships – but we were actually at the front of the ship already!

After this we went to look at the show cabins. These were for the most part quite small, not wildly luxurious, no balconies and no tea making facilities. But there was a lot of drawer and wardrobe space. All the cabins were ensuite of course, but some of them had a VERY big step up to the bathroom.

At 12.30 it was time for lunch in the MDR. (Hand gelled again at the entrance) The meal was very good, and with complimentary wine. The meals were plated, so no silver service. I felt the overall presentation of the meals is better with P&O, but the quality of the meal was fine. There was a bit of a delay between the main course and the desert, as we had the ‘baked Alaska parade’ with all the waiters parading the large Alaska’s around the dining room, and then we had the chef’s parade.

As we were drinking coffee, there was an announcement over the PA that our afternoon show would start in 5 minutes in the Marco Polo Lounge. So we nipped up to the Lounge, didn’t take long to get there, being a small ship! We then saw an excerpt from the show team’s repertoire, being songs from Grease, Oklahoma and Sister Act. Maybe not quite as slick as The Headliners, but the group had talent, and, as I’m into musicals, I thoroughly enjoyed this little interlude.

By the time the show ended it was 3.15pm, and time to go home. Upon disembarkation, we gave up our little ID cards.

This was obviously a very quick look. The public areas of the ship were very nicely done. The ship carries around 800 passengers and 350 crew. I understand the ship was originally built in 1961 for the Soviets. There have obviously been upgrades since then, but there were raised steps and ledges all over the place – trip hazards for those who aren’t steady on their pins!

The big question – would I cruise on the Marco Polo. I liked what I saw, and I feel I’d be ok for a short port intensive cruise. But I do like to walk around a lot when I’m on board, and I think on a longer cruise, I’d end up feeling as if I was going round in small circles. Also, I do like to have choices with dining and entertainment – on a smaller ship like this I wouldn’t get those sorts of options.

But, overall, a thumbs up from me.

On a side note, I grew up in Grays, a stone’s throw from Tilbury, and I was thrilled that the terminal ‘shed’ for the Tilbury Ferry and the Ferry walkway were still in evidence!
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Ship Visit – Marco Polo - 14th December 2013

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanks for that :thumbup:

You either like small ships or you don't, my advice is to do a Port intensive fly cruise rather than a trip out of Tilbury.

We did 24 days, albeit not on the MP, out of Istanbul to Alexandria via the Turkish coastal Ports, the Black Sea and the Greek Islands ... the size of the ship was an absolute bonus in our experience.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Fascinating insight into Marco Polo. There are pluses and minuses with smaller ships, the big plus being the fact they can get into the smaller ports. Nice for a change from the large ships. They are well worth looking at if itinerary is important to you.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My old Mum has been on this ship numerous times over the years, even when it was Russian owned, due to the fact that she lives in Gravesend and could just get the Tilbury ferry across.
30 mins after leaving home, she was on board.
I don't know if that still runs.

She always spoke very highly of it and they always had a lovely time.

Since being widowed (again), she's given up cruising due to the extortionate surcharges. I'm trying to encourage her back into it. I think it's great for folks on their own.
Nice and safe and the opportunity to meet some lovely people.
Empty vessels .. and all that

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Gill

Thank you for your MP experience, very interesting

Graham x
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

barney wrote:
My old Mum has been on this ship numerous times over the years, even when it was Russian owned, due to the fact that she lives in Gravesend and could just get the Tilbury ferry across.
30 mins after leaving home, she was on board.
I don't know if that still runs.

I understand there is still a ferry, subsidised by Thurrock Council and KCC - Not like the good old days when it was run by British Rail.

For an Essex child, it always seemed very exotic to get the ferry over to Gravesend. I now realise that, as the crow flies the towns are very close. As a child it seemed like I was going to another country ..... actually, I was probably right! :lol:
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

If you are referring to the huge Sikh community in Gravesend Gill, then you are definately correct.

I grew up with it so considered it totally normal.

We used to get the ferry across to explore the Tilbury Fort. That was a good day out as a kid.

By the way, have you seen the new Sikh Temple in Gravesend? It's the biggest in the world outside India. A very impressive building by any standards .
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

:lol: what I had in mind was that Kent was more civilised than Essex! And before any Essex people get upset, I am allowed to say things like that being an old Essex Girl :lol:

Love that Sikh temple - it's an amazing building
Gill

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”