Never Give Up on.....

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Never Give Up on.....

Post by JenniC »

... getting family members, resisting cruising, on a cruise ship.....

Janis Rossers's report about cruising with her son, DIL and grandchildren and Sue's subsequent comment about her son and DIL refusing to cruise has promoted me to write this.

We started cruising in 2004, firstly alone and on occasions we have taken Kai who those of you who have got to know me on here, will know is my grandson who has Aspergers and is fascinated by travel, in particular cruise ships and loves nothing better that not be on one. We have taken him on three short cruises before and he still talks about them now. Our other grandson (Liam), same age as Kai has come with us and he too loves it.

So in 2011 my daughter was 40 and wanted to try cruising, her OH was not at all keen, but we offered to pay for Becky as her present, which cut down the cost if he did not like it. Even though it was his sister's 40th, we still could not talk my son and DIL into coming and so, without them, we embarked on a 4 days cruise on Azura, and took Kai with us, as well as Liam. Did my SIL enjoy it..........he absolutely loved it and they are now hoping to come to the Caribbean with us next Jan. One down :thumbup: Two to go

Of course Kai being Kai he talked about Azura, his three cruises and how much he wanted to go again, and maybe Mum And Dad would take him for his 18th birthday. Most boys reaching that age would go to the pub, but for Kai that was never going to be an option. My son and DIL were still resisting, "too many old people", "too closed in ", "will be sick" ..... all the same old excuses came out..... Kai was still relentless. In 2014 Steve, my OH was going to be 65, the two boys were going to be 18, so what better time to do something together. We were all up for it, but still son and DIL were digging their heels in. We could have taken Kai again, with my daughter and her family, but it was a special trip and so both my OH and my daughter called Stu, told him this was about Kai, not him, and he should go.. it was not as though they could not afford it. Next day they agreed, we booked 6 cabins, as my other granddaughter, who is at uni, her boyfriend and our friends wanted to come. That was in April 2013, we had a year to wait and we could not tell Kai, as he would be jut too excited ... But we also never spoke about it as neither son or DIL we really bought into it. It was not until 3 days before we told him and still DIL was not overly happy

At the check-in in the Ocean terminal, I thought DIL was going to be sick, she so did not want to go. Checking in was quick, we hustled her on the ship, her face was a picture when she saw the size and enormity of the atrium and Azura, they went off round the ship like excited kids. Sailaway was delayed until 8pm, so by then we were in Brodies. Around 9am DIL asked when we would be leaving and I told her we have been sailing for an hour!!!! They loved the formal night, my son who does not do restaurants loved the Pennisular and the food, they loved Breakers, the decks, the swimming.. In fact fair to say there was nothing they did not like. I asked them on the last day, will you go again, it was a resounding yes, we want to do the Fjords on Britannia...... Two more down :thumbup: :clap:

So Sue, the moral of this long story is never say never........

PS.. Granddaughter who is 7 loved it., wants to go on a longer one so she can do more swimming! Other granddaughter and boyfriend,who are serious clubbers, loved it so much they want to make it an annual event, despite, leaving passports and money in safe and enduring a three day hangover - so all family converted - job done ;)
Jenni

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Never Give Up on.....

Post by Dancing Queen »

Brilliant Jenni, I have been trying for years to get my brother to do a cruise and he just isn't having it my SIL would love to do one, I'm not giving up I'll get him on a ship one of these days .. I know he would love it !!!
Jo

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Of course it does not always work like your experience Jenni.
We eventually persuaded our eldest Son and DIL to join us on a family cruise with our other son and family ,to celebrate our 70th birthdays, making a party of 9 in total. Whilst we had a great time and the grandchildren enjoyed the experience it did not convince the parents that cruising was for them, too much hassle both before and during the cruise seemed to put them off. And when asking the granddaughters what they enjoyed most they said the swimming pool, which of course would be available on any Med package holiday.
So I doubt we will be seeing them cruising again in the near future.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

I have the opposite problem ... Both my children love cruising (especially 20 year old daughter), so I feel a bit guilty if we go without them!
However after hearing me rave, my Mum & Step dad went last year on a Fred Olsen cruise (not the line I would have recommended for them if they had consulted me), and they hated it. One of my mum's complaints was that she didn't like being completely surrounded by water [emoji33]
Angela

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

I was one of those people who said they would never go on a cruise after doing a P & O ferry to france. I was sick all the way there and back. My husband went into a wheelchair 13 years ago and many friends and family who are regular cruises kept telling us that it would be ideal for him. After 10 years of him being manhandled on to aeroplanes I finally relented and booked a cruise. How glad am I that we did. Now he actually looks forward to his holiday instead of dreading the airport check in. We have had two fantastic cruises so far and met some lovely people (hello Holiday Planner :D ) and will be going on Azura at the end of August and Britannia in June 2015, You could say we are hooked. :clap:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

My daughter would easily go on another cruise with us, but her husband is not too keen. That's a shame, and I can only hope that in years to come we get to take our granddaughter with us one day.

We would have also loved to take my mother in law with us, but I can't see it happening.

I don't really think life can be complete without going on a cruise.

Em

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

I do wish people would stop feeling the need to promote and espouse the benefits of cruising to all and sundry. If too many people are cruising all the offers will dry up and prices will skyrocket.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ray

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We persuaded our friends to try a cruise after many years of waxing lyrical, and eventually they relented and came with us. They hated every minute of it, poor quality food, small cabin, far too many passengers on board etc so it is definitely not for everyone. And for us, after many years of thinking it was the be all and end all of holidays, we have come to realise yes it is a great holiday, but by no means the best. And we probably enjoy other holidays as much and often more.
Gill

Southwinds
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Southwinds »

Back when we started to cruise land holidays were very poor quality...suddenly cruising looked amazing...now land holidays have improved greatly even B&Bs here are boutiques hotels now...so we have found a land holiday as good as cruising and possibly better....one such place is the Alexandra the Great hotel in Pathos...

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Southwinds wrote:
Back when we started to cruise land holidays were very poor quality...suddenly cruising looked amazing...now land holidays have improved greatly even B&Bs here are boutiques hotels now...so we have found a land holiday as good as cruising and possibly better....one such place is the Alexandra the Great hotel in Pathos...

I always read that as "Alexander", the great hotel in Paphos, not "Alexander the Great" hotel..... We use the Pioneer Beach hotel, a bit further down the road.

My mum kept trying to get my sister to go on a cruise with her, but my sister is so against the idea she won't even watch our holiday videos!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Southwinds
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Southwinds »

http://www.kanikahotels.com/hotel_info. ... nu_id=1149

Anyone interested her it is..popular with many cruisers .

Return to “New to Cruising”