In cabin listening .still available or not?

Topics relating to cruising with children

Topic author
greenfish187
Cadet
Cadet

In cabin listening .still available or not?

Post by greenfish187 »

Whilst on a cruise at xmas on azura i was informed by reception that in cabin listening was no longer available,well as i was browsing the p/o site as you do,i noticed it states it is still available.
So i was wondering if anyone knows if it is still available or not maybe through experience.
I will be going on oceana so if anyone knows it would be great to find out
Thanks in advance

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: In cabin listening .still available or not?

Post by noddy10 »

Best thing is to hope somebody that has cruised recently can advise you because the website is notorious for being out of date with information and takes P&O a long time to update it.

Topic author
greenfish187
Cadet
Cadet

Post by greenfish187 »

noddy10 wrote:
Best thing is to hope somebody that has cruised recently can advise you because the website is notorious for being out of date with information and takes P&O a long time to update it.
Yes thanks Noddy

Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

We are only just back off Oceana (3 weeks or so) and I didn't see anything about it, but then we weren't really looking for it if that makes sense?

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Call me dumb but what's cabin listening!? Sounds like eavesdropping on other cabins. I'm guessing you mean listening to something on the 'television'? As this is only way I know of. On Oceana we would listen to the DJ while getting ready for dinner. But on Azura it takes so long to choose anything on the 'interactive' television I gave up. So I have no idea if you can listen to the DJ.

Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

melsea wrote:
Call me dumb but what's cabin listening!? Sounds like eavesdropping on other cabins. I'm guessing you mean listening to something on the 'television'? As this is only way I know of. On Oceana we would listen to the DJ while getting ready for dinner. But on Azura it takes so long to choose anything on the 'interactive' television I gave up. So I have no idea if you can listen to the DJ.
It is for children. You take the phone off the hook and then use any phone on the ship to dial into your cabin and use it as a baby monitor

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Well I never, one learns something new every day. That's the beauty of a forum you find out all sorts of things.
Thanks for that, not having children I wouldn't know about it.

Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

melsea wrote:
Well I never, one learns something new every day. That's the beauty of a forum you find out all sorts of things.
Thanks for that, not having children I wouldn't know about it.

That is what I like about forums.

It personally isn't for me, but can see how it would be useful for others :)

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

I was on Oceana earlier this year with my children and though it's not something I would use, nobody mentioned that it was available and I didn't see anything about it in the in cabin guide.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I’m racking my brains trying to think why anyone should want or think it’s OK to leave a child unattended in a cabin room... with or without a listening device....Am I missing something?

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

This post reminded me of our family holidays at butlins in the 50's, ( I know, posh ! ) us children would be put to bed and then the parents would go out for the evening. Every 15 minutes or so a nurse on a bike would come and shine a torch in the chalet window to check all was well. If there were any children crying she would let the office know and a tannoy message would go out to all the venues, saying " child crying in chalet number .." I remember waking up to,see a bright light shining on me and being very frightened ! Don't think that I would do that nowadays though, things are very different now.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Jacknian

I too remember this happening at Butlins. I do recall hearing those messages going out and asked my parents what this meant and it was to alert parents that their baby was crying. In the days when everything seemed safe, there was no thought of thinking that this was something not to do. So I can see why people may have used this on a ship but things are a whole lot different now. Our way of thinking has changed sometimes for the good and sometimes not so. I think we have been brainwashed into thinking how bad things are today but if you delve into the history of those by gone years and you will find its not a whole lot different just that we are made aware of it these days. A kid neighbour of mine where I grew up in London back in the early 70's was saved by a passer by from being abducted into a car. So not any worse than it is today!

Ian Perth
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Ian Perth »

We were on Azura in April with our grand daughter Sophie, eight months old. As far as I know their used to be a system for in cabin monitoring, not sure if this is still the case. Most babies parents make use of the baby sleeping facility in the Reef where you can take your baby after 6pm until 2am. If the child does not settle they let you know with a pager.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Greenfish, P&O's FAQ says "There is no [baby listening] service available. It is not recommended that children are left alone. "

see here
If this was once available then it appears P&O is no longer willing to accept delegation of responsibility.

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

I am glad that it has been stopped. Could never understand why people would risk leaving a child/children alone in a cabin.

Timber_01
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Timber_01 »

Nice post. I enjoyed reading this. I also have lot of such type of experience. Thanks for sharing. Keep psoting.

simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by simeon »

I ran into a loud discussion about this exact topic on a cruise ship not along ago. A mother was very animated in her discussion with a steward about that service no longer being available.

Being a great steward, he gently explained all the alternative options and even assisted her with getting their baby moved to the care center. Personally, I am glad to hear they are discouraging the practice. I understand using a baby monitor at home where you are 2 minutes away, but on a cruise ship you could be a long ways from your cabin when trouble strikes.

I volunteered to sit with their baby the next night, since they had a cabin near us and we had talked a few times, but the mother just smiled was excited about how well the care center had worked the day before. She looked very de-stressed by that revelation.

simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by simeon »

Especially considering that most people on a cruise are either enjoying themselves loudly or with spirits (I have yet to find people sitting in silence together) I think that it is a good idea to see this practice discouraged. While I appreciate you want some ‘alone’ time, I would suggest that there are better alternatives available.

Return to “Cruising with Children”