Two wheelchair/scooter users

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
Loublou66
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Two wheelchair/scooter users

Post by Loublou66 »

Hi. I'm taking a cruise with my Mum over Xmas and new year with HollandAmerica Line (HAL). I use a powered wheelchair, non folding, and my Mum is hiring a scooter as she can walk around for a couple of hours but does tire easily. My issue is about shore excursions and the availability of wheelchair accessible transport or tour companies. Our ports are Funchal, Santa Cruz Tenerife, Las Palmas Grand Canaria, Aricife Lanzarote, Casablanca, Cadiz, Lisbon and Rotterdam.
I have to use my chair but on a tour my Mum could probably walk but if there aren't any tours we'll have to head out in our chairs from the port and I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas or reassuring thoughts! We are both cruise virgins!

bronte30
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Two wheelchair/scooter users

Post by bronte30 »

I use a mobility scooter. I can only answer your question for the port of Lisbon. I did not do any tours, but I got off and went along the port. There is a walking path into the town. I must admit I only went about a mile and turned back, as the skies went very dark. As I got back to the ship, it poured. There was a little stall/ shop in the terminal. If you just want to get off for a change of scenery, it's easy. The crew help you down and up the gang plank. I'm sorry I can't help with other ports, but someone will have visited the other ports.

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldfella76
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by oldfella76 »

Cadiz is very accessible. my wife uses a wheelchair but we had a very pleasant walk along the sea front and then back thro the shops. On the way back came across a parade including the horse and carriage pictured

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Good Evening

A very warm welcome to our friendly boards

. . . and what a grand picture you have posted

Tapatalk new to me, perhaps you can post some info

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave: