Cruising on something other than a Ship ... a Barge !

Anything to do with river cruising

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Cruising on something other than a Ship ... a Barge !

Post by Manoverboard »

In 2013 we very much enjoyed our two Riverboat cruises, one on the Seine and t'other on the Rhone, and while we were sussing out the silly prices for another one in 2014 we stumbled across a program on the telly.

Que ?

So what did we see ... well, it was ' Amazing Spaces ' by George Clarke, the restoratuion man to those who watch that particular program.

... and what did we see ?

The building of an all inclusive 5* cruising holiday on a barge :clap: like wot we have booked.

She cruises on the Kennet and Avon Canal and is called the ' Wessex Rose ',

Have any of you experienced the 200 year old historical journey of Britain on such a holiday ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Cruising on something other than a Ship ...

Post by oldbluefox »

Not exactly the luxury of the Wessex Rose but many moons ago we had a narrow boat holiday and I must say it was one of the most relaxing holidays ever. It took time to slow down the pace of life to 4mph but it became quite a surreal experience as we chugged along at a very sedate pace hwilst everyone else was dashing about. And it was a lovely experience to become part of the canal family if only for a short time. Lovely canalside pubs, tying up for the night and waking the next morning to the peace and solitude of the countryside, the wildlife and bird song, taking life at a gentle pace, interesting places off the beaten track to visit - ours wasn't 5 star travel but what a lovely holiday.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

This looks fabulous ..very impressed :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jo

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

TWO responses ... :cry:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Maybe there will be more interest when you report back Moby.
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Cheer up Mob - 105 viewings. Although they don't post a lot of people do read the threads. We will enjoy your review when you get back.

In the meantime do you want to talk football? :lol: :clap: :wave:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Moby
I did reams of reporting on my Caribbean Jolly
got all of 1 response
but hundreds of views
perhaps your report will garner more interest, I for one will be very interested in a river cruise report
Nihil Obstat

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

MoB, a few years ago, I had a share in a narrowboat with my (now deceased) father-in-law

We kept it on the Medway as our bit of the river is non-tidal.
As a family, we had many many happy hours on it. Mainly just mooching around, soaking up the sun and drinking beer.
Maidstone to Tonbridge took about six hours and passed through many locks, so that was an overnight.

The old fellah was down there come rain or shine and for most of the year.
When he passed away, it unfortunately got little use due to all of us working full time and we eventually sold it.

It passed through a few different hands in the following years and then disappeared from the river. Current whereabouts is unknown.

What lovely times and wonderful memories.

It's name was Sanctuary and was so aptly named
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We owned a narrowboat for almost twenty years. Loved it.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanx folks ... narrow boats are obviously a minority interest and to us seem(ed) more down market than 5* by some considerable margin pre ' Wessex Rose '.

Anyhowz ... we are really looking forward to it and the report from Mobiettta and I will be forthcoming and that's for sure but not for a goodly while yet :wave:

ps ... who would have thought that Merv the Swerve was an (onion) bargee in disguise ?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

It's well know Moby that in the working days all bargees wore dinner suits every third night.

Bob Arround
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Bob Arround »

New on here and new to cruising, only done and Nile cruise up until last year when we took a trip on the Wessex Rose on a Canal Cruise, so seeing thread when surfing I thought I better join and report.

Does not need many words beyond 'Brilliant'. What a week, the countryside on the Kennet & Avon is stunning, always something to see, if you feel energetic you can help with a lock or two, you can even have a go at driving if you are brave enough, or you can just sit back and enjoy what must be the ultimate in relaxation with not a care in the world.

The Wessex Rose is just beautiful, purpose built as a luxury Hotel Boat and only a couple of months old when we were on. All the cabins are en-suite, we asked for a double and they explained that all the cabins can be made as double or twin, the bedding was gorgeous as were the towels and toiletries, we even got robes & slippers. There was TV/DVD in the room and Tea & Coffee making facilities, the beds had reading lights, there was a small wardrobe, draws and a little dressing table. It was all so lovely and really really well thought out.

The saloon was amazing, all the panoramic windows opened, both sides and front and there was the biggest opening sun roof you have ever seen! There was music, TV, home cinema and its all oak paneled and has a lovely hard wood floor. Meals are served at lovely little tables which are actually inlayed with the boats crest. The food was amazing, fantastic quality as were the cookies & cakes that were served morning and afternoon.

We were lucky, the sun shone, so the top deck affair with the deckchairs was was put to good use for a beer at lunchtime and a G&T before dinner, and, all drinks are included, well it worked for me!!

Seriously, it was all fantastic from the second we got on board until the sad farewells as we really did not want it to end. The hosts were simply charming, working so hard and nothing was too much trouble, by the end of the cruise we considered them as friends. Since we were on we have heard that the Wessex Rose has been given a 5* Visit England Award, totally justified in our book, cant speak highly enough of it.

One last thing, they have a photo album on line that I follow with interest http://www.flickr.com/photos/82285738@N06/

Robert

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Many thanks Robert, can't beat first hand information :thumbup: ... and a warm welcome to the site.

Tonight for anybody who is interested in Barges there's a TV prog on ' MORE4 ' ( Freeview 14 / Freesat 124 / SKY 138 ) at 21:00 featuring in part the K&A plus a couple of very well known celebs who played a key role in the rebirth of the canal. One of them also starred in Faulty Towers.

:wave:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Cruising on something other than a Ship ... a Barge !

Post by barney »

I've already got that Sky+'d Moby but I think many will find it interesting
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Cruising on something other than a Ship ... a Barge !

Post by Manoverboard »

Have to say that we enjoyed the program and especially so the K&A stretch from Bath to Devizes ... ish.

:thumbup:

Return to “River Cruising”