Airport procedure for Azura to Malta

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Linda67
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Airport procedure for Azura to Malta

Post by Linda67 »

Could someone talk me through the procedure at the airport, flying from Bristol to Malta in less than a couple of weeks. Not flown for years and although cruised multiple times, have never done a fly-cruise.
We've booked an airport transfer from home to Bristol so no need for car parking. Being picked up at at silly o'clock as a 6am flight.
It seemed a great idea when we booked it but I suffer with anxiety & some nerves have kicked in-I know once we're there I'll be fine 🙂 (and medicated to the hilt 😅)
Attempting to do the check in online this weekend but I'd be really grateful if someone could explain what happens when you get to the airport here just to try to alleviate some of the anxiety.
Thank you in advance
Linda

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Airport procedure for Azura to Malta

Post by Ray B »

Linda, no need to be anxious. Never flown from Bristol only Gatwick, so normally it's a P&O charter flight, and once arriving at check in there are PO representatives there to guide you plus lots of other passengers too.
I'm sure someone will come along with more information on Bristol.
Have a great cruise.
Don't worry, be happy

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Hi Linda
I returned from a fly cruise last month - Manchester to Valletta. Quite straightforward - P&O charter flight with Tui - reps at the airport guiding you to check in. At Valletta we had to pick up our luggage from the carousel and take it outside to a van which took it to the ship - next time we saw it was in our cabins. On return we put luggage out night before disembarking and next time we saw it was at Manchester airport. As Ray says I imagine it’s much the same at other airports - I’m sure there will be reps helping you at Bristol airport too. It’s a great cruise - really enjoyed it - I’m sure you will too.
Janis

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Our experience from Birmingham was the same as Jan's (except on return the luggage came to Birmingham !)

We were booked on the Azura cruise 7 September but have had to cancel for health reasons.
Last edited by allatc on 02 Sep 2023, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I flew from Gatwick to Malta and the procedure was just the same as Jan describes. There were lots of P&O people at Valetta to point us in the right direction to collect our luggage and then to the van outside which took it to the ship. Yes on return we just left our cases outside our cabin and then didn't see them again until we returned to Gatwick.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

and if your flight back is in the afternoon , you still have to be out of your cabin by 8, but day cabins are available ( at a price...).
You can leave your hand luggage safely onboard under guard in the theatre while you enjoy the ship/ town.
Meg
x

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Should have been sailing out of Malta about now !

In Cornwall instead. At least it is nice and sunny.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We've done exactly this Linda, Bristol to Malta , and please trust me, it goes like clockwork.

We also have a 6.00 am flight next month for the Canary repositioning cruise.
Fly Bristol to Malta out and Tenerife to Bristol on return.

We are staying at the Hilton on the airport the night before.

P&O are excellent at these things.
Clearly signed at Bristol Airport.
On arrival at Malta, collect your luggage from the carousel and there are plenty of P&O people to guide you to the coach.
You get on the bus and they deliver the luggage to your cabin.
You should be on the ship by about half eleven, all going well. (I've been monitoring the take off times and it's been very good, so far)
Dump the hand luggage and head out into Valetta !

We actually have an over night in Malta so all of the following day as well, before a very late sail to Catania, then on to Palermo.

We are actually doing another two week cruise in January, around the Canaries from Bristol Airport.
There is really nothing to concern you.
They know what they are doing.

Enjoy your holiday :D
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Linda67
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Linda67 »

Just a quick thank you for your replies - as you have said, it was very straight forward and well organised.

As for the cruise itself, good and not so good, mostly down to us being pensioners before our time! We are late 50's and found that there were few quiet places around the ship, music was piped into the MDR and buffet which we felt was a bit too much, spoilt the chance of conversation between fellow cruisers, but as I say, that is just our opinion.

Food we thought was good, I am Coeliac so I always have some restrictions, but we successfully ate in the buffet, MDR, Sindhu and Beach House, which apart from the odd bad choice, were all good.

Bar sevice we thought was lacking, definitely a lack of bar stewards around, and if we wanted a drink, more often than not would have to go to the bar itself - not a hardship but different to how it has been before, where you were constantly asked. I did find that if I went to the bar, I was ignored in favour of the men and some were gentlemen who insisted that I were there first, others were not! In the MDR, we were often asked by the waiters if we wanted bar drinks, and they did arrive promptly, however, there was a limited selection.

We only did 2 excursions, a catamaran trip in Santorini, which was excellent and a trip to the Acropolis from Piraeus - this was ok, not the best guide but something ticked off the bucket list.

The weather was good, allbeit too hot for us at between 27 and 30 odd each day, and some ports were very crowded, which didn't help - the tender queue in Santorini was pretty bad, with an hour wait in the blazing sun.

Entertainment - we saw 2 Headliner shows which were very good, and Soul Kind Of Wonderful, we left before the encore as had had enough! The rest didn't appeal, and to be honest, the heat took it's toll so we were often tucked up with a book by 10.30 (we know how to live!).

All in all, it was a good cruise, would we go back on Azura, probably not but I can see the attraction for those who are younger, or act younger than us! We did book another cruise on boad for 2025 on Arcadia, big birthday and wedding anniversary, 3 weeks to Iceland and the North Cape. We accept that we may not get into all the ports if the weather is bad, but will be keeping everything crossed.

Oh and face clothes - not in the cabin, but only had to ask the cabin steward once, and there were a plentiful supply every day :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Thanks for the review Linda
I'm off on her in less than two weeks.
We tend to pretty much do our own thing and go with the flow when on holiday.
We enjoyed Soul Kinda Wonderful when we saw them but no great desire to see them again and rarely bother with the Headliners now.
On our last cruise in January, there was some really good tribute acts including a brilliant Coldplay tribute. We'd see him again if possible.
Empty vessels .. and all that

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

flying to Tenerife in 3 weeks to join Azura. Do you get flight tickets or just the Boarding Pass.?
Mel

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

screwy wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 12:13
flying to Tenerife in 3 weeks to join Azura. Do you get flight tickets or just the Boarding Pass.?
Forget this post, found the answer.
Mel

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”