Cutbacks on P&O - good or bad?

Topics that are specific to cruising

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cutbacks on P&O - good or bad?

Post by Ray B »

Never been to Butlins ,but some reports I have read have suggested that they have upped their game with modern or upgraded accommodation.
Maybe if someone has stayed at a butlins they may
enlighten us.
Last edited by Ray B on 18 Oct 2023, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

By all current reports Butlins, far removed from the Hi De Hi era, now deliver very good value family holidays. I think that's exactly what P&O aspire to. It's a different market to the one they targeted 20 years ago.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Ray, it is some 15 years since we last holidayed at Butlin but as a child me and my two sisters enjoyed several Butlins holidays. On our last visit (15 years ago) you could see many changes, not least the pay extra for some of the fun activities (there was a time when all the rides were free). Looking back to our last visit you could see things were changing, not least with the introduction of the Sky Dome…. an indoor venue which was always a hive of activity… with a theme tune of…'at the Sky dome, sky-dome' blasting out whenever there was an act about to start.
On our last visit we stayed in the more expensive area… a bit like a well-equipped self-contained flat, within close proximity to parking... so worth paying considerable more as it keeps you away from the Riff Raff. There was a two-tier dining experience and having experienced both I would recommend paying that little bit extra, albeit the food was/is I believe the same in both catering facilities.
All I all I think Butlins offers a great budget holiday for families….with the proviso that you don’t mind your feet sticking to the beer soaked carpets in the cabaret venues.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

15 years OL, certainly would have changed alot since then I should imagine.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Keith would be in long trousers by now.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Unless he's a postman....

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We did the world cruise on QM2 this year and certainly didn’t see any cutbacks at all - a box of chocs on formal night in our room - good choice of pre dinner nibbles - no complaints at all

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 12:21
Unless he's a postman....
Don’t mention postman to me Sir Merv…late deliveries etc…they ruined my chocolatier business :(

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”