Cape Verde

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Cape Verde

Post by Kendhni »

In another post Ray had said
Ray B wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 11:06
Good to hear from you again Ken, enjoy your holiday, I've never been to Cape Verde Islands, read differing reports on them. Enjoy.
So after nearly 3 weeks of sitting on a lounger I can give an update.

I can see why there could be mixed reports. We were on Sal and stayed in one of the RIU hotels. I couldn't fault the hotel and facilities available. The room was excellent, pool and pool area was clean with decent loungers; lovely sandy beach with lots of shelter; easy to get AI drink (inc coffee, soft and local alcoholic drinks). The local town was an easy 20 minute walk with a very nice paved path through the beach and some restaurants to a very scenic pier. The local vendors were friendly but nowhere near as pushy as those elsewhere.

The buffet food was some of the best we have ever had. A good choice (except for those that like to pile everything on their plate at every meal). On a couple of nights there was a mound of meat (beef, pork, turkey, veal etc.) and a chef cut off what you wanted and put it on the grill for you. I got a couple of fillet steaks, others were having sirloins that I would guess were 20-30oz. Cooked and seasoned beautifully.

The entertainment was a mixed bag. There was a neon night and a white night with a DJ blasting the dooph dooph music ... we had a fantastic time. There were a couple of circus type acts (very good) and local nights of music. The animation team was one of the best we have seen.

The downsides were that there were a lot of mosquitos and even our Jungle formula deet did not do a particularly good job (in fact it pretty much destroyed the effectiveness of the sun cream - see below). Beyond a one day island tour and walking into the nearby town there wasn't a lot else to do outside of the hotel. I believe Boa Vista (another of the Cape Verde islands) has even less.

I took ill for a couple of days ... I thought it had been something I had eaten. I went to the hotel doctor who checked me over and called a cab to take me to the clinic in the nearby town. The clinic put our NHS to shame. Lovely clean and very efficient. I had to wait for about 30 minutes then got called in for blood and a some other tests (less said the better); after a further 15 minutes the doctor called me in and gave me very detailed printed report of my results. it was not a food related issue ... thought to just have been sun stroke (so I stopped using DEET). The cost for all the tests was about £75. Lots of hydration and I was fine after a couple of days. The TUI rep was very helpful.

For guaranteed winter sun (mid to high 20's while we were there but getting hotter) it can't really be faulted and we are already looking to book again.
Last edited by Kendhni on 02 Apr 2023, 10:04, edited 2 times in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Cape Verde

Post by Onelife »

HI Ken,

I have thought about applying to be on ITV’s The Chase but would have failed miserably had they asked me where the Cape Verdi Islands were, however, with the choice of three options I may have struck lucky.

Interesting read Ken so thanks for that…not that it will be on my bucket list places to go as insects only have to look at me and they immediately think food…sensitive by nature - sensitive by skin.

Nice to see you back as I enjoy fireworks in April :thumbup: :lol:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My younger brother went to Cape Verde a few years back and said that his hotel was absolutely first class but outside that, there were miles of nothing.
He liked it but no desire to return.
I’d give it a try if Mrs B would fly that far.
Unfortunately, her limit is four hours maximum.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Sunstroke. Been there done that. Horrible

Thanks for the report Ken.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 11:14
Sunstroke. Been there done that. Horrible

Thanks for the report Ken.
Yes it is Stephen, I got sunstroke while on holiday in Turkey…good job I had a nurse on hand to sort me out, As I wasn’t feeling too good my wife went out for a few hours, when she got back she found me shivering under the bed sheets even though it was 37c outside….don’t let anyone tell you that nurses are kind…my wife made me sit in a cold shower for gawd knows how long.
Last edited by Onelife on 02 Apr 2023, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Wimp.

I had a glass of water then went back out. :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I don't fancy Cape Verde for a land holiday but would quite like a couple of calls on a cruise.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 12:29
Wimp.

I ain’t no wimp…after the shower I had to endure two hours of waterboarding :shock:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 13:08
I don't fancy Cape Verde for a land holiday but would quite like a couple of calls on a cruise.
Forget it Sir Merv, the calls will cost you more than a two-hour excursion ;) :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Well done OL ... I've never tried waterboading in a shower :clap: :clap: :clap:

As for Cape Verde not been but believe we saw them courtesy of various flights to/from Cape Town.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 13:11
Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 12:29
Wimp.

I ain’t no wimp…after the shower I had to endure two hours of waterboarding :shock:

I’m hoping assuming it was the cloth over your face while someone poured water over you version.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Thanks for your report Ken, shame you were taking ill with the sun but you seemed to enjoy your stay.
Sun stroke is one to avoid, I always say one of the most important things is to have a hat on the head that keeps the brain from frying and to try and keep hydrated. Sometimes you think it's not that hot abroad, but when you go to Dinner looking like a lobster, it's one of the signs you may need to take more care..
Not aiming this at you specifically Ken but I would say, when in the sun, don't be a pr@t, wear a hat. ☀️👒🌞
Last edited by Ray B on 02 Apr 2023, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry, be happy

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Keep in the shade and out of the sun unless you fancy skin cancer ... said Mobietta :wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 15:13
Keep in the shade and out of the sun unless you fancy skin cancer ... said Mobietta :wave:

That’s me, under the brolly these days. I like to feel the sun but not the burn. Between 20 and 25deg is plenty warm enough for me.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Manoverboard wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 15:13
Very sensible and when you do go in the sun, slap it on, especially if you are a slap head, mentioning no names. 😂
Don't worry, be happy

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I'll keep it to myself that you called Mobietta a slap head when she next puts on her factor 60 :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Let's hope Ray has a tin sun hat.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ray makes friends easily :lol:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 18:02
Ray makes friends easily :lol:
Sir Merv suggested that Ray should get a tin hat….I think a pink bonnet would suffice considering your wimpish reply, squeak! squeak! :shock: :D

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Infamy, infamy... they've all got it infamy!
Don't worry, be happy

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If you'd like to know a little more about Cape Verde then maybe tune into Chan 5 at 20:00 this evening with Jane McDonald :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks Moby. We'll give that a look.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 May 2023, 07:52
If you'd like to know a little more about Cape Verde then maybe tune into Chan 5 at 20:00 this evening with Jane McDonald :wave:

All ready to record. We enjoy her and the shows.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Well ... I finally got round to watching it :thumbdown:

Not my cup of tea at all, the only thing missing on this show was a nobbily knees competition.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Didn't look that great to me either, other than nice beaches.

Return to “Non Cruise Holiday Reports”