Lake Como, Coach Holiday. (Also included a Ship and a Boat)

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
Delboy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Lake Como, Coach Holiday. (Also included a Ship and a Boat)

Post by Delboy »

We have recently returned from a 9 day Coach holiday to Lake Como in Italy, staying at the Britannia hotel in the pretty village of Cadenabbia.

Both en route from Dover to Calais and on our return journey, we sailed on P&O's largest passenger ferry "Spirit of Britain".

Built at a cost of £157million, it has three vehicle decks instead of two, its increase in freight capacity is even more impressive. At 700 feet long and almost 100 feet wide, it is as big as a ferry can be for current port restrictions and can carry more than 1,000 cars as well as 2,000 passengers. It can take up to 180 articulated lorries at once, and judging by the number of lorries rolling on in front of us en route, it must have been at full capacity of lorries, leaving just enough room for our coach at the rear.

In fact, if the vehicles are parked bumper to bumper, the Spirit of Britain has an astonishing 2.33 miles of parking on board. It also has a number of restaurant , bars and lounges for passengers to relax in en route, although personally I prefer to be out on deck.

Mind you it did not stop us from being held up for over an hour at sea just off the coast of Dover on our return journey due to bad weather, which prevented it from docking.
The only time on holiday we had to show our passports, was at the port of Calais en route home, where we had to disembark the coach and individually pass through British immigration control.

As for our all inclusive (including drinks) holiday to Lake Como, we had a lovely time and it was one of our best coach holidays to date. We had a great driver who was very knowledgable and informative as we travelled through France, Switzerland and Italy both on en route and on our excursions. One of which included a train ride on the Bernina Express across the Swiss Alps to St Moritz, we also had excursions to Lucarno in Switzerland plus visits to Como, Bellagio and Bergamo in Italy.
There were also lake tours both by coach and boat, to relax and enjoy the views of quaint lakeside ports and villages, the villa's of the rich and famous and magnificent mountain scenery.

The weather was shirt sleeve weather all week, the locals said their summer had come late in October, as for the rest of the year the weather had been terrible. We had booked a balcony room with a Lake view, but on arrival had been upgraded to a superior balcony lake view room.

Even although it was late October, the hotel was fully booked with 3 coaches from the company we booked with in the UK and four from Germany. The food was the only let down, being buffet style it was always going to be a scramble at meal times, always managed to find something for each course which suited our palate. Thoroughly enjoyed the Italian ice cream (Gelato) of which there was a choice of approx 10 flavours to choose from, at both lunch and dinner. Packed lunches available if required when on excursions.

I am at the moment trying to sort out my photo's of which I took hundreds into albums, for those who may be interested I have posted a link to those I have sorted so far, but it is an ongoing exercise that may take me a few weeks to complete.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalb ... 237758782/

In the meantime here are a just a few.

View of hotel from Lake Como.

View of Lake Como from Hotel Room Balcony.

Typical view from Lake, this was next door to Hotel.

Villa La Casinella lies on the shores of the Punta Balbianello was once used as a retreat by Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson and is now owned by Richard Branson.

Bernina express and the Swiss Alps excursion to St Moritz Switzerland

Our Hotel Room

View of Bellagio, through rooms casement doors.

Sent from my iPad

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Lake Como, Coach Holiday. (Also included a Ship and a Bo

Post by kaymar »

Excellent photos, Delboy and glad you had a great time.

We had 10 days in the Hotel Metropole in Bellagio at the end of August/early September. Fantastic location and, like you, nice, warm weather, just occasional cloud. We did the Bernina Express trip as well - amazing scenery isn't it? I also have about 300 photos but not as good as yours.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Stunning photos - good enough to make us consider a visit to the area. Thank you.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

The hotel and the area look beautiful Delboy. We have never been there but it does look very appealing.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Fabulous photo's as always Derek, looks amazing.
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Now those places do bring back a few memories, from the late 70s / early 80s if I remember correctly.

We recently did a 22 day coaching tour of Poland plus parts of the Czech and Slovakian Republics ... only one Port though, that of Gdansk but I was too poorly to do a report :cry:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”