Our Trip to Guatemala (visiting our Daughter) part 2

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Our Trip to Guatemala (visiting our Daughter) part 2

Post by Happydays »

Well surprise the first part worked so here's the rest:)
Day 6
Took the shuttle to Semuc Champey which is a nature park with lots of clear pools for swimming and waterfalls also caves that you can explore but you have to go under water to reach the different caverns which are linked but I'm not a good swimmer so didn't do the cave part! we stayed for a few hours it was very nice. When we returned to the hostel it was nap time;) Met for dinner and drinks (see the theme?)
Day 7
private hire again to Flores 165miles goodness the road for the first 3.5hrs was a nightmare it's not the distance that's the problem but the condition of the roads. I thought I'd traveled on some bad roads in India and Kenya etc but this one wins!! When we arrived we stayed at another hostel as our Daughter knows the owners so we had a good welcome. Again we had private accommodation and bathroom with air-con.
Day8
We didn't get up to early as we had decided to go on the sunset tour of Tikkal. Got the shuttle at 12noon returned 8pm was a fantastic experience not rushed "climbed" some of the temples and reached the main site in time to go up for the views at sunset. Returning to the bus was a bit rough but luckily plenty of people had torches on their phones. Had dinner in Flores by the lake and people watched while having you guessed it a drink!
Day 9
We were checking out as we had an evening flight to Guatemala City. Leisurely shower and repacked everything and left the luggage in our Daughters room (she was staying an other night) before breakfast. We went for a stroll around Flores and down to the lake we were going to go on a boat trip but decide against it all the traveling was catching up on us.
Then it was time to say goodbye to our Daughter:( It was a short flight only 1hr. We checked into the same hotel for overnight before the trek home and they gave us an upgrade to a suite.
Day 10
Long haul back to Heathrow. USA immigration was quieter but NOT faster even fewer desks open. Our flights were all with "United" and the food was inedible worst we've experienced. The overnight flight home was on a Dreamliner economy plus that was comfortable.
Day 11
Got back to Edinburgh 3pm we were exhausted , unfortunately we couldn't collect our dog as we were to late for the pickup time so had to go back the next day.

All in all we're very pleased we went as it was good to see where our Daughter lives and works and to put faces to names we've previously heard, it also has given me peace of mind about where she is living. Our hostel experience was comfortable and everyone was friendly lots of people from Australia, New Zealand,Canada & USA. It's now her turn to come for a visit to the UK :thumbup:

This type of holiday certainly makes you realize the value and ease that cruising represents so with that in mind bring on the next cruise in January :clap:
To everyone who has managed to finish reading my rambles you deserve a GOLD star! I hope it didn't bore you to much:)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Our Trip to Guatemala (visiting our Daughter) part 2

Post by qbman1 »

Thanks HappyD - haven't earned a gold star for ages !!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I enjoyed reading about your holiday, especially as it is about a place most of us will never get to visit. Thank you for taking the time to do a review.

Maureen.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

:thumbup: Interesting read thank you :wave:
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer