Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Jonty S1
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: Britannia dress codes

Post by Jonty S1 »

Dark Knight wrote:
I find that the attitude of people is the same both sides of the debate :yawn:
some insist it is only right and proper to dress formally, some take great delight in dressing down on purpose
The issue I have is that,some people think they can dictate what the rules are, without knowing the rules and refuse to accept there is "wiggle room" in the dress code :roll:
these people are the ones who need to learn some manners and accept they are in no position to tell anyone , anything :thumbup:
Well Dark Knight, have just tried on my dinner suit trousers in anticipation of forthcoming cruise. Promise there's no wiggle room at all!

:oops:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Jonty, me old sprout
that is not the kind of wiggle room , I had in mind, nor is it the same for Ballroom, either :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Dark Knight wrote:
I find that the attitude of people is the same both sides of the debate :yawn:
some insist it is only right and proper to dress formally, some take great delight in dressing down on purpose
The issue I have is that,some people think they can dictate what the rules are, without knowing the rules and refuse to accept there is "wiggle room" in the dress code :roll:
these people are the ones who need to learn some manners and accept they are in no position to tell anyone , anything :thumbup:
I think "The Rules" are what this is all about. If I decide to hold a dinner in my house and invite a group of friends, specifying that dress will be as I dictate, I expect them all to comply. if they don't agree with my dress code, then they can refuse to come. If they turn up in any other mode of dress, I can refuse to admit them. it doesn't matter if it's "black tie", football shirts, or whatever - it's my rules! Same goes for on board ship when P&O specify the dress code.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

When I was a Wolf Cub I could make my own woggle :)

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Bassman
there is wiggle room in the so called "rules" and it is this ,that people can use, if they do not wish to dress up, all acceptable and above board to P&O... so any other interpretation is wrong, it is simple really
as long a speople know the rules then all is well, it is when people think they can tell other how to dress, coz that person believes they are right, is where I have a major issue
no passenger has the right to tell anyone else what to do or how to dress on a cruise and neither do they have the right to look down on people or make innacurate ,snobby assumptions about people who are acting within the dress code, even if they have not dressed up
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:
Bassman
there is wiggle room in the so called "rules" and it is this ,that people can use, if they do not wish to dress up, all acceptable and above board to P&O... so any other interpretation is wrong, it is simple really
as long a speople know the rules then all is well, it is when people think they can tell other how to dress, coz that person believes they are right, is where I have a major issue
no passenger has the right to tell anyone else what to do or how to dress on a cruise and neither do they have the right to look down on people or make innacurate ,snobby assumptions about people who are acting within the dress code, even if they have not dressed up
Agreed. Can we make every passenger sign this when they check in along with their health questionnaire?

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Dark Knight wrote:
Bassman
We are talking about peer pressure here. Even P&O apply it when they state that dressing up sets the ambience of the evening, which in translation means. 'We know you can dress evening casual on black tie nights but pretty pretty please don't as it might upset some of our traditional passengers who won't book again (profits). Plus people like having those smart photos taken as well (profits).
Of course we could enforce the code over the whole ship but then you might not book another cruise with us (profits) so please endulge us with your forbearance, thankyou'.

The red bits are mine

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Dcttr
I would agree but it is also people assuming , quite wrongly, that they have some right to judge people ,who opt out of the dress code
yes they can pout and whine, moan and carp ,all they want and bang on about dress codes etc
but the bottom line is
it is none of their bloody business, so keep your nose out, or words to that effect :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
When I was a Wolf Cub I could make my own woggle :)
Yes, but you still had to wear a green jersey and the Group scarf!

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

For woggle read bow-tie!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whatever we all think, or would like to think, at the end of the day the cruise line makes the rules.

In P&O's case those rules are that there is a "suggested" dress code for each evening (and a required dress code in some parts of the ship during the day). Also on some nights there are some areas of the ship that you are not allowed access to if not wearing the "suggested" dress code.

These are the rules which are clearly stated in advance and if anyone does not like them or agree with them then do not book a cruise with that cruise line - simples.

Where the issue arises is that there are some who are intent on deliberately flouting the rules for whatever reason they have and that the cruise line (or more specifically the cruise line's staff) are reluctant/unable/incapable of imposing the rules.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

bassman67 wrote:
Now I know where my lifelong struggle against conformism began.

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
bassman67 wrote:
.....and where has it got you? Stuck on this forum with the rest of us failures to make a mark in the history books( so far!)

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

bassman67 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
bassman67 wrote:
.....and where has it got you? Stuck on this forum with the rest of us failures to make a mark in the history books( so far!)
When I first saw that I read the exclamation mark as a 't'.

There's still time for us lowlifes to achieve something, to make a difference, to change the world for the better. Come the revolution I've got a little list here of those who'll be first up against the wall! :twisted:

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
bassman67 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
bassman67 wrote:
When I first saw that I read the exclamation mark as a 't'.

There's still time for us lowlifes to achieve something, to make a difference, to change the world for the better. Come the revolution I've got a little list here of those who'll be first up against the wall! :twisted:
"failures" was substituted for "old far!s" just before I posted, but...............

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

bassman67 wrote:
"failures" was substituted for "old far!s" just before I posted, but...............
Yeah, this auto-correct has a lot to answer for :roll:

rikncaz
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by rikncaz »

P & O are stating 1 formal Black & White night on the cruise personaliser, they dont mention how many formal nights in total, but it has always been 4 formal, 1 being Black & White. Just read the new brochure and it does state a two weeks cruise have 4 black tie (formal) evenings.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The reference to Black and White is the theme night, this being one of the formals, and the "theme" requires little further explanation.

BTW, while we're banging on again about dress codes, let me congratulate P&O customers on the high level of conformity to the suggested dress.

We're just back from a Princess cruise and 80% of their customers ignore the guidance completely. Of the handful who do dress up for formal nights most only keep it up till the end of dinner and are then back in their jeans. Or in one case dungarees style overalls.

As for "smart casual". Well I thought Princess had a really good summary of it in "what you might wear to go to a nice restaurant at home".

Well a fair number interpreted that as "what you might wear to weed a nice garden" or "clean a nice toilet" or "paint a nice ceiling". I have no problem with casual, but an awful lot were downright scruffy. I don't even mind that too much but do object to sitting next to people whose clothes look like they've been washed less recently than our local tramp!

lovemybalcomy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by lovemybalcomy »

I honestly cannot see what the problem is of putting on a jacket and bow tie just for a few hours on a few nights, or for the ladies to wear a long or cocktail dress..

Would those casual dressers approve if their waiter turned up in a vest type top or shorts to serve them their evening meal.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

It isn't a problem, on P&O you don't have to do it if you don't want to and are happy with the restrictions this imposes.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I had much the same issue on RCI Mervyn. I'm convinced some thought formal meant a clean(ish) tee shirt but the dress code was not enforced in the dining room or the bars. I didn't see the point of having a formal night because there was no formality to it. Never again! I will stick to those ships which embrace formality. As Dave says, you don't have to do it if you don't want to and, after all it's only 4 nights in a 14 night cruise so I don't see the issue as a big deal.

I do think some dress down as much as they can just to be different and to make a point. It takes all sorts I suppose.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

lovemybalcomy wrote:
I honestly cannot see what the problem is of putting on a jacket and bow tie just for a few hours on a few nights, or for the ladies to wear a long or cocktail dress..

Would those casual dressers approve if their waiter turned up in a vest type top or shorts to serve them their evening meal.
Personally I don't want to have to dress like a waiter in order to eat my evening meal.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I do think some dress down as much as they can just to be different and to make a point. It takes all sorts I suppose.[/quote]

and some dress up to do exactly the same :yawn:
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Dark Knight wrote:
and some dress up to do exactly the same :yawn:
:roll: :yawn:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain