Prom deck?

Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Prom deck?

Post by Jacknian »

Looking at the deck plans of Britannia, there doesn't seem to be a promenade deck, am I right or is it hiding in there somewhere ? My husband will be very upset if there isn't, he loves his walks round the deck ( or backwards and forwards in the case of Azura ) I can see there's a small area on the "sports deck " but it would be a very short lap !

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Prom deck?

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Jacknian wrote:
Looking at the deck plans of Britannia, there doesn't seem to be a promenade deck, am I right or is it hiding in there somewhere ? My husband will be very upset if there isn't, he loves his walks round the deck ( or backwards and forwards in the case of Azura ) I can see there's a small area on the "sports deck " but it would be a very short lap !
There's not the traditional deck that you find on the other ships. What P&O call the promenade deck is a track running around the top level, a bit like the one on Adonia only longer. This is exposed to the elements. I discussed this with David Dingle at an AGM a few years ago and he said then that they were thinking of going back to the older ocean liners where the deck was at an upper level, but those ships were nowhere near as tall as the modern ones. From all the evidence that I have seen Britannia only has a couple of shelves at the midship sides and I bet one of these will be for the smokers and the other for Costa Coffee. There also seem to be a couple of smaller shelves nearer the stern but these are also exposed to the sun and I haven't heard what these are intended for. I was told that the areas under the lifeboats are off-limits to passengers.

I'm with your husband on this, for us the promenade deck is the most important part of the ship, but this ship is easily avoided.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

As one who likes to sit outside, and hasn't always had a balcony, the promenade deck is pretty essential to me. I am not one for sitting in the full glare of the sun and appreciate a bit of shade as opposed to having my head blown off up top and getting my cranium sizzled. Sitting in rows amongst hundreds of others doesn't appeal to me either.
I also like to people watch and stretch my legs from time to time. Consequently Arcadia, Oceana, Aurora and Oriana with proper wrap around promenade decks (without steps or having to cut through by the theatre) fit the bill. However I also realise that the promenade decks also take up space which can be used to instal more cabins. That is the real reason for Britannia not having one.
I also realise they're not going to build a ship just to suit me but hopefully Mr Dingle will bear me in mind!!!

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

apparently on Royal and Regal Princess the two 'shelves' are no smoking. there is an area for smoking right aft next to the show lounge. The shelves remind me of my local Costa with a few tables outside. Maybe they will have to reserve those outside tables for those who are buying coffee or drinks from the Glasshouse. Otherwise it will be like the sun loungers saga, only worse.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

I've posted these shots on the 'Ugky Britannia thread. These show the outside deck space.

The quarter deck:

And the midships shelf:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

perhaps the whole point is to keep you inside, where it is much easier to separate people from their money ? just saying :-)
Nihil Obstat

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Dark Knight wrote:
perhaps the whole point is to keep you inside, where it is much easier to separate people from their money ? just saying :-)
Or maybe in your case DK to avoid scaring the sealife. :sarcasm: :lol:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

For us, a walk (more of a stroll than a power walk) around the promenade deck is an important part of cruising, especially on sea days. There are a number of reasons why we will not be sailing on Britannia, but this would be high on the list. Q.B.'s photo's above show just how useless the covered areas will be. Never mind, there are lots of other cruise ships - each to their own.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

kaymar wrote:
Q.B.'s photo's above show just how useless the covered areas will be.
Oh, I don't know - looking at QBob's top photo of the outside space, it seems ideal for the stewards to have a crafty fag !!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Prom deck?

Post by Quizzical Bob »

kaymar wrote:
For us, a walk (more of a stroll than a power walk) around the promenade deck is an important part of cruising, especially on sea days. There are a number of reasons why we will not be sailing on Britannia, but this would be high on the list. Q.B.'s photo's above show just how useless the covered areas will be. Never mind, there are lots of other cruise ships - each to their own.
These useless areas are not even covered.

We too like to stroll around the prom deck, it's the highlight of the cruise.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We also enjoy walking around the Promenade deck, we do several miles a day, but it REALLY isn't a deal breaker. In our earlier cruising days, the ships we cruised on didn't even have a promenade deck, it's nice, but there are far more important features - for us.
Gill

Return to “About Britannia”