Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by david63 »

Just come across this - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... e-18785703

There are just so many mistakes in that "report" and summons up the "Why spoil a good story with facts"!!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Stephen »

They can't even give the correct day it happened.

I bet the compo claims are coming in thick and fast.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Britannia

Post by Happydays »

What's happening to what used to be my favourite cruise line? first it was trouble on Ventura a couple of month's ago now on their "Flag ship"

A P&O Cruises spokesman said: “Following an incident on board Britannia on Thursday evening we can confirm that all guests have now disembarked and the matter is now in the hands of the local police.”

Hampshire police said: “Officers are in attendance after a number of people were assaulted on-board a cruise ship.

“The incident took place during the early hours of Friday, 26 July on-board P&O’s Britannia while it was enroute to Southampton from Bergen.

“Investigations are ongoing.”

I read on this report that is was sparked off about someone dressed as a clown!! :crazy: I think too much alcohol would have played apart.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I read about this in a couple of different places.

Wouldn't encourage me to book with P&O if I hadn't been with them before. If it happen which I assume it did as the police were involved when they docked. It wouldn't have been a pleasant experience to witness.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Happydays wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 14:29
I read about this in a couple of different places.

Wouldn't encourage me to book with P&O if I hadn't been with them before. If it happen which I assume it did as the police were involved when they docked. It wouldn't have been a pleasant experience to witness.
Who is going to witness this at two in the morning. Mind you according to the Daily Wail, it all happens because of an all day patriotic party. Well that sound good starts at 15.00 and still going on at 02.00

BTW there was no clown at the fight.

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

What a sad story. Surely though the company should take some blame in the promotion of drinks packages if that was a factor.

The amount required to drink for the price of the package is not only ridiculous but irresponsible.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Whatever the detail of the story we did think more alcohol was being consumed on our recent cruise by passengers keen to get value from the drinks package. There is no way anyone can consume £40 worth of booze everyday on a cruise without getting drunk.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Riff raff. Probably Northeners, a mixture of accents involved :sarcasm: :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Actually I notice those arrested were from Essex. Just saying. .......

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

If true about the clown that is a failure by P&O. No excuse for a fight but if they have a policy of no fancy dress they should enforce it. A bit like fights/rows over sunbeds. They also wouldn't happen if their own stated policy was actually applied.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 27 Jul 2019, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 15:55
Actually I notice those arrested were from Essex. Just saying. .......

They were just clowning around.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Caught the report on the BBC News re the fight on the PandO Britannia Ferry (their words). I do not want to see passengers dressed as clowns, fighting or drunkenness when on a cruise, PandO need to take strong action to get on top of this behavior or is this the crowd they are trying to attract. A$&holes, the lot of them.
Don't worry, be happy

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

The person that broke this story was a reporter who happened to be on holiday on Britannia.

He tweeted that he was work up at 2am, due to an announcement calling security to the buffet.

Being a reporter, he went too.

Apparantly it was 'large family groups' who had been brawling.

He also tweeted footage of the Great British Sailaway, and said that the brawl followed an afternoon of 'partying'.

He's tried to link the Sailaway and the brawl hours later. There's nothing to indicate that the two events were linked, but the media has picked it up, and his spurious link has become a fact.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Stephen wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 15:51
Riff raff. Probably Northeners, a mixture of accents involved :sarcasm: :D
I probably shouldn't mention this, but as the footage of flag waving at the Sailaway has been linked to this fight, Brexiters are being blamed!
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I guess if your hell bent on getting pi**ed then the two are linked. The sail-aways hardly encourage you to drink tea or coffee. On the other hand It's down to each individual, including waiters and bar staff to act responsibly and know their limits.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Personally, I can’t see how a 45 minute Sailaway party in the afternoon can be attributed to a brawl at 2am the following morning.

Due to the marvels of Twitter, I’ve been able to speak to an eye witness.

She was in the buffet at the time of the fight, with her night owl teenage sons.

Apart from them, there were a couple of other people there, and the families involved. A total of about 15 people were present.

After the Code Sierra was announced on the tannoy, people came up to have a look at what was going on, so anyone reporting on the aftermath may have thought there were more people involved.

And there were no clowns present. The clown is a complete fabrication
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Gill W wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 10:35
Personally, I can’t see how a 45 minute Sailaway party in the afternoon can be attributed to a brawl at 2am the following morning.

Due to the marvels of Twitter, I’ve been able to speak to an eye witness.

She was in the buffet at the time of the fight, with her night owl teenage sons.

Apart from them, there were a couple of other people there, and the families involved. A total of about 15 people were present.

After the Code Sierra was announced on the tannoy, people came up to have a look at what was going on, so anyone reporting on the aftermath may have thought there were more people involved.

And there were no clowns present. The clown is a complete fabrication

Probably because they didn't stop drinking apart from muster station.

As for the clowns, they probably went and changed back into they're football shirts after being told it wasn't a formal night. :D
Last edited by Stephen on 28 Jul 2019, 10:49, edited 2 times in total.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 15:58
If true about the clown that is a failure by P&O. No excuse for a fight but if they have a policy of no fancy dress they should enforce it. A bit like fights/rows over sunbeds. They also wouldn't happen if their own stated policy was actually applied.
Well perhaps the truth here would help. From what I gleaned there was no clown. There was a person dressed up in a Beetlejuice outfit. That was for the 80’s fancy dress party night. So OK by P&O rules. Someone who was there reports that the person in the fancy dress was not there at all and that the idiot reporter got that part wrong. Remember every report in every paper and on TV is just a repost of what this reporter tweeted. He embellished.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

daib GC wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 11:48
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 15:58
Well perhaps the truth here would help. From what I gleaned there was no clown. There was a person dressed up in a Beetlejuice outfit. That was for the 80’s fancy dress party night. So OK by P&O rules. Someone who was there reports that the person in the fancy dress was not there at all and that the idiot reporter got that part wrong. Remember every report in every paper and on TV is just a repost of what this reporter tweeted. He embellished.
I think you're right Daib. I foolishly assumed there might be a couple of accurate words in the story but subsequent reports by eye witnesses suggest I was over generous. Seems the only accurate word was "fight"!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 28 Jul 2019, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

Jim Bird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jim Bird »

The problem is, too many berths to fill with 'anything'.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Well to be fair now we know it's not actually a mass brawl, half a dozen drunken idiots out of more than 3000 passengers seems to be below the national average. But I do have huge reservations about drinks packages /challenges! We know that overall the companies profit or they wouldn't offer them. But there are always some who'll be willing to take up the challenge and bugger the impact on their liver!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 28 Jul 2019, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ritamary
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Ritamary »

Why mention Northerners when they were allegedly from Essex???

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Ritamary wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 22:06
Don't worry RM, we often have a bit of north/south banter. If they think we northerners are a ruff lot it saves building a border to keep them from darn sarf out!!! :thumbup: :lol:
You must remember Essex is north for some. :shock:
Last edited by oldbluefox on 28 Jul 2019, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Were they, I've seen no evidence.

We only drink lemonade down here at the civilised end of the country. Unlike the North who will take their home made grog wherever they go ;) :D
Last edited by Stephen on 29 Jul 2019, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 08:25

Were they, I've 1 no evidence.

We only drink lemonade down here at the civilised end of the country. Unlike the North who will take their home made grog wherever they go ;) :D
Keep up Essex Boy. It was in the report. Along with all the other accurate facts. :sarcasm:

Don't mind him Ritamary. His Mum didn't teach him any manners when he came in from going up the chimneys :D
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 29 Jul 2019, 08:35, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “About Britannia”