Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

The Britannia Maiden (part 8)

Post by Gill W »

Last day

We had a fantastic meal last night in Sindhu. I had exactly the same as everyone else, minus the salt. It's great to have the full dish as it appears on the menu (and no broccoli in sight!)

I'll just make a few comments about the entertainment.

I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary, but it has been very much business as usual, with nothing much extra to distinguish that this is a maiden voyage.

We don't have a Headliners group - they are known as the Britannia show cast. We have had just 4 shows from the cast, 3 full shows and one show with just the singers.

Now, I'm a musical theatre fan, so I always look forward to the big shows.

The shows on Britannia are an intense experience.

They are obviously very loud, too loud for me when I sat near the front for the first show - I sat nearer the back for subsequent shows.

These shows are very dependant on special effects, and the backdrops are all computer produced and are very bright and flashy, and quite distracting. I could put up with that - but in the first two shows they had very bright lights that flashed Into the audience. I was sitting in different seats for these performances, but was literally dazzled by the lights that were being beamed into my eyes. That's another thing I've given them feedback about.

I will give them credit for using songs that are recent chart hits, so they are trying to be more up to date - trouble is, on this cruise at least, the songs are not familiar to the audience! I noticed there were less costume changes in the shows. Maybe with the computer produced backdrop they'll be able to change to shows more often, therefore feeling that they don't want to invest in costumes.

I mentioned in an earlier report the problem about the spotlight reflecting back into the audience during the cabaret shows. I haven't seen a cabaret show since then. I'm going to see the Patriot Girls this evening, so I'll see if that Perspex screen in front of the drums is still there.

( edit - the screen was still there, but the light seems to be adjusted so that it's not reflecting back into the audience)

There are three shows a night for the production shows and two shows for the cabarets. Warning - go early for the 8.30 show!

On some nights there are also shows in the Live Lounge at the back of the ship. I caught a show by a Queen tribute band early In the cruise. The next night, I hoped to see a comedian, but the room was packed already, 40 minutes before the show, so I didn't bother after that.

To sum up Britannia is a beautiful ship, both inside and out. She looks nothing like a block of flats, and is well appointed internally, if somewhat 'dark' in some areas.

I personally don't think she's too big, but I've got nothing against the big ships. However, what I would say is that there are probably too many passengers. About 500 less people would give everybody room to enjoy everything a little more.

I suspect that some passengers have come on this cruise with the sole purpose to find fault - that always happens when a new P&O ship is launched.

Because of the amount of people onboard, queues would form for popular activities, which lead to moaning and grumbling. Maybe people need to relax a bit and not have unrealistic expectations about arriving at a venue and being able to amble straight in and find a seat, or get on the ship at a peak time.

For my own part, I have enjoyed my time on Britannia. It has been in no way a 'bad' cruise. The staff have worked hard, and the service time in the main dining room has improved greatly over the start of the cruise.

I would cruise again on Britannia if the itinerary was right. But, as we are hoping to do a couple of world cruise legs in the next few years, Britannia won't be going to the places we want to visit.

Overall, I'd rate the cruise at 7.5 out of 10. Points lost for design features ( mid ship staircase only goes to deck 7, poor Glasshouse), the disappointment over some of my special diet meals and being seriously dazzled in the theatre on 2 occasions.

Judging from the comments overheard onboard, there'll be some poor reviews. I know some people would rather believe the bad reviews - but I've described it how it was for me, and it wasn't all bad, in fact a lot of it was rather good.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: The Britannia Maiden (part 8)

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Thanks for that Gill. Excellent review. Interesting to see that on a lot of points we agree, on others we've seen different viewpoints. It's been really interesting to see things you've covered which we missed completely - as we said in our own review, there's so much to choose from you can't do everything. We'll just have to go back to do this bits we missed!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I have read all your reports with great interest and after the comments you made yesterday, was expecting more to concern me. Yes there are niggles - aren't there usually? And a real shame about your diet, though I put that down to the chefs rather than the ship - but the overall impression is that you had a good time. And I intend to do just that too. Lol

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review - and for reassuring me.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

A good, honest and balanced review, thanks for sharing Gill I've really enjoyed reading it.
Jo

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

GillW - probably once the maiden cruises are over, there may well be many a cruise where there will be 500 or more less people on board and the queues won't be so long and the space and seating issues will sort themselves out. We will wait till then to give it a try.

Thank you so much for a very in-depth and interesting review. I have spent an enjoyable afternoon reading both yours and M&T's balanced reviews.

Maureen

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Very interesting

Thanks for the time and trouble to post it

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

GillD46 wrote:
I have read all your reports with great interest and after the comments you made yesterday, was expecting more to concern me. Yes there are niggles - aren't there usually? And a real shame about your diet, though I put that down to the chefs rather than the ship - but the overall impression is that you had a good time. And I intend to do just that too. Lol

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review - and for reassuring me.

I think the main thing that I had a rant about was my dietary issues, which won't affect most people, fortunately.

I did enjoy my cruise, and, as Maureen says, things will settle down.

One rumour I heard was that, at the next refit, they'll change the mid ships staircase so that it goes to all floors. They'd have to get rid of some cabins to do that, so that'd cut the number of passengers slightly.

I would cruise on Britannia again, but in a few years time, when she's found her personality, if you know what I mean.

Thank you for reading, everyone :D
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thank you for your very enjoyable reviews,Gill and for sharing them with us.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Great report, Gill :clap: :clap:

Thanks for taking so much time to do it ... it was, for me also, a fair and balanced report of the ' non ' block of flats.

There were many aspects you have highlighted that would encourage rather than discourage us to book a cruise on this particular ship, subject to a suitable itinerary of course.

Have to go and read Merv' rendition now, bet yours is less biased towards P&O ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Just before l dash off to soggy Wales just wanted to say what a throughly good read both yours and Merv reviews were.....in fact they are the best reviews l have ever read :thumbup: :angel: I thought both gave a very balanced insight into what Britannia has to offer and indeed were things could be improved.

Thank you

Regards

Keith

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks you all for your lovely comments

I started doing cruise diaries in 2007, as, when you read them at a later date, it brings back all the little things that would otherwise be forgotten.

But it's great that other people can get some enjoyment from it as well :D

Have a good time in Wales, Keefy
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Thanks Gill for a very impressive report - so detailed and so useful for my trip on Britannia in June. I think you have to go with an open mind and perhaps some of the issues that you and Merv highlighted may be resolved but whether they are not I aim to enjoy myself - get those Kir Royales lined up ready bartender ;)
Janis

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

What a great review. It really gave a clear impression as to what it's like to be on board. Thank you so much for taking all that time to write it. Not sure if Britannia is for us - maybe if she's going somewhere we really want to go. It was lovely to read such a balanced review.

Carole

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks Gill, a really interesting and thorough review.

Re the dietary issues/dishes, Mandy has found that the variety (she was once given peas and carrots, and the same tomato based sauce, on 6 consecutive nights before we mentioned it), and flexibility of what you get served depends on two main factors:

1) the quality of the assistant head waiter/head waiter that takes your order the previous night - it's surprising how their approach can vary so much but some, we find, stick rigidly to the broccoli-type alternative every night, whilst others cant do enough and often mix and match existing menu choices or even suggest totally new food selections to ensure the variety is as it should be on a cruise.

2) where it's the former (I.e. more restrictive) assistant head waiters/head waiters, we have found that what Mandy gets served can depend on just how "assertive" we are prepared to be. The British way is to say nowt, and we're no different (no one wants to feel like they are being a pain), but as you did, we find we sometimes do have to say something, or question if Mandy gets palmed off with the same bland foods every night.

Obviously, as you say, we are extremely lucky to have the special-diet chefs on p&o. However, even in the few years Mandy has been dairy free, it's clear the special diet dining experience can vary massively, so I hope the above is of some use. Another tip is to have a chat with Cornmillgirl (if she still comes on here) as she's been using the special diet chefs on p&o for years and offered us some very useful advice some years back.

Right, It's Mervyn's report tomorrow :)

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Onelife wrote:
Just before l dash off to soggy Wales just wanted to say what a throughly good read both yours and Merv reviews were.....in fact they are the best reviews l have ever read :thumbup: :angel: I thought both gave a very balanced insight into what Britannia has to offer and indeed were things could be improved.

Thank you

Regards

Keith
100% agree, thank you both for taking the time to post such objective reviews. I am so looking forward to our trip on 27 June, especially now our shipmate - Janis Rosser - has booked too... :thumbup:
Jenni

Patchworker
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Patchworker »

Thank you for very I formative reviews, will no doubt read & digest again before we go on Britannia in June!

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Dennis The Menace wrote:

Re the dietary issues/dishes, Mandy has found that the variety (she was once given peas and carrots, and the same tomato based sauce, on 6 consecutive nights before we mentioned it), and flexibility of what you get served depends on two main factors:

1) the quality of the assistant head waiter/head waiter that takes your order the previous night - it's surprising how their approach can vary so much but some, we find, stick rigidly to the broccoli-type alternative every night, whilst others cant do enough and often mix and match existing menu choices or even suggest totally new food selections to ensure the variety is as it should be on a cruise.

2) where it's the former (I.e. more restrictive) assistant head waiters/head waiters, we have found that what Mandy gets served can depend on just how "assertive" we are prepared to be. The British way is to say nowt, and we're no different (no one wants to feel like they are being a pain), but as you did, we find we sometimes do have to say something, or question if Mandy gets palmed off with the same bland foods every night.

Obviously, as you say, we are extremely lucky to have the special-diet chefs on p&o. However, even in the few years Mandy has been dairy free, it's clear the special diet dining experience can vary massively, so I hope the above is of some use. Another tip is to have a chat with Cornmillgirl (if she still comes on here) as she's been using the special diet chefs on p&o for years and offered us some very useful advice some years back.

Thank you Dennis, that's an interesting perspective on the special diet front.

As you say, it looks as if the head waiter is a key element. On Arcadia at Christmas, our head waiter was lovely, and he said that, if I wanted, I could have something off the lunch menu for dinner, or he could arrange for something that wasn't on the menu at all. However, I didn't need to take him up on this, as everything that I ordered was excellent, and as shown on the menu, just minus the salt.

This time, our head waiter was a young lady, and right from the start I didn't feel as engaged with her, and she didn't offer any additional selections. I put up with it for about 4 nights, and then had a word to say that I didn't have to have totally plain food, and it did improve a bit, but it was patchy, and some nights it did slip back to plain food again. Although the vegetable selection was always the same, with a few peas if I was very lucky! The tomato based sauce that you mentioned made an appearance on a few nights as well!

Next year, when I'm on Oceana, I'll speak to the waiter on the first night, and make it very clear about what I like to eat, and what I can eat - i.e. EVERYTHING except salt!

I'll also see if I can get in touch with Cornmillgirl.

Thank you again, it's so helpful to get input from people who've been in the same situation :D
Gill

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

Really enjoyed reading your reports from Britannia, thank you for taking the time to write them, I really hope to sail on her sometime, she sounds like a wonderful ship.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Gill W wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:

Thank you Dennis, that's an interesting perspective on the special diet front.

As you say, it looks as if the head waiter is a key element. On Arcadia at Christmas, our head waiter was lovely, and he said that, if I wanted, I could have something off the lunch menu for dinner, or he could arrange for something that wasn't on the menu at all. However, I didn't need to take him up on this, as everything that I ordered was excellent, and as shown on the menu, just minus the salt.

This time, our head waiter was a young lady, and right from the start I didn't feel as engaged with her, and she didn't offer any additional selections. I put up with it for about 4 nights, and then had a word to say that I didn't have to have totally plain food, and it did improve a bit, but it was patchy, and some nights it did slip back to plain food again. Although the vegetable selection was always the same, with a few peas if I was very lucky! The tomato based sauce that you mentioned made an appearance on a few nights as well!

Next year, when I'm on Oceana, I'll speak to the waiter on the first night, and make it very clear about what I like to eat, and what I can eat - i.e. EVERYTHING except salt!

I'll also see if I can get in touch with Cornmillgirl.

Thank you again, it's so helpful to get input from people who've been in the same situation :D
Us weirdo's have to stick together Gill :crazy: ;)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Excellent Review Gill. We do not have anything booked yet for Britannia but will probably cruise on it this year at some point.

The mid ships staircase has also been a problem on the Princess ships of the design so I was surprised that P & O had not addressed this before the build started.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Given how long it takes to build one of these and that Royal Princess has only been in service for two years it may be Britannia was too far into construction before they realised. Seems a daft design though. In fact there is an emergency and staff only staircase midships, so it may not be impossible to open it up at a future major refit.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Does anyone know if the crew stairs above deck 7 are in fact the continuation of the lower deck staircase, and does the Grand class not have a crew only midships staircase?
If not it sort of negates the view that Carnival designed this to fit in more passenger cabins, and as Merv says could be changed in the future, in fact it will be very interesting to see if the 3rd Royal class for Princess, due in 2017, is modified to change this back to a passenger staircase.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

The stairs which go up as far as Deck 7 for the public continue upwards above that deck but terminate at a crew only door. Plus the location of the "emergency exit" on the decks above is in the right place, so I'd say it is more than likely yes Towny. They may, however, be narrower above this level.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Not being an expert on naval architecture I would suspect that it would be a bit more complicated than just opening up the crew staircase. I would guess that cutting a hole in the middle of the ship could have repercussions with stability/safety.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I will check the walls around the staircase next week and report back if they appear to be plasterboard or similar, which could be the case because I imagine the lift foyers are blocked off at the point where you go through to the stairway and crew lifts on Grand class; similarly the access points to the stairways on both port & starboard are only double door width, and probably are the emergency exits Merv commented upon. So 3 double doorways none of which are likely to be load bearing is all that stands in the way of changing the stairs from crew to passenger. That and of course several hundred thousand pounds worth of carpet, walling, paint and stairway artwork.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”