Britannia Norway 27 June - good and bad

Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Britannia Norway 27 June - good and bad

Post by oldtimer »

First the good things, have been on Azura, Ventura, Oceana and Arcadia, Boarding was better, on board at 1pm and was told cabin was ready. The buffet area on Britannia much better than the other ships, much more space in the food isles, so you can turn around without bumping into someone else, also more seating areas. Main dining restaurant much lighter so you can read menu without a torch unlike Azura, and more space between tables. No noisy Azura sea screen, A bigger cabin TV, three shows in the main theatre, 7pm , 8-30pm and 10-30pm. For shore excursions passengers met in the dining room and were given numbers and called when their excursion was ready, unlike recent Azura experience when queue was down the stairs around the atrium and through Whitewall gallery. Shower curtain replaced by nice door much better. The special effects for the shows were spectacular and obviously had the latest equipment.

Now the not so good. Atrium more like a posh London hotel foyer, a personal opinion but I like the glass lifts and flashy Atrium's of other ships. Only one staircase serving the 3 levels and that is boxed in and a dark brown colour. Wall paintings drab, in fact not paintings, but look like small stones on a lump of concrete. Although bigger TV, no shore excursion talks playbacks available and you can't check your on board account, cannot understand why something so useful is on Azura but missing on Britannia. Balcony small and no foot rest. Seats in cinema are not tiered enough so you can only see top of the screen over someone's head. The sound volume in the theatre shows was much too loud, we spoke to a couple who attended the first show and they said they would not be going to the theatre again. Cakes in the Market Café looked nice but disappointed when tasted and expensive. No bedside lamp and plug on kettle so large it blocks the hair dryer socket.

Would we go on Britannia again, well three of us were going on a cruise in September and considered Britannia, but as you cannot get 3 on a balcony and there is no dividing curtain for any privacy we will be on Azura. Would not choose Britannia again and felt it was too big not easy to find your way around and drab décor, a shame.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Britannia Norway 27 June - good and bad

Post by Frank Manning »

Many thanks for that report Old Timer. It made nice concise informative reading.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Good report Oldtimer and shame it wasn't quite what suited you, but it's good there are shps out there where you can enjoy your cruising. I think you are right about the balcony. Okay for two of us but with 3 would be a show stopper.

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

We are on Britannia in 2 weeks time and have been a bit worried about reports we have heard about her, good to see there were SOME good points ! !

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Jacknian wrote:
We are on Britannia in 2 weeks time and have been a bit worried about reports we have heard about her, good to see there were SOME good points ! !
There are LOTS of good points - will post my review of my trip on the 27th soon :thumbup:
Janis

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Jacknian wrote:

All new ships get bad and good reviews. The only review that counts is your own.

Having said that, on the FB pages where there have been a large number of reviews the positive are now way way ahead of the negitive.

Don't know if it is just me but I like the American Hotel look for the Atrium, but then I have known about it for a year or so.

Gan Canny

Dai

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Don't be worried about a thing Jacknian

Go with a good attitude and have a whale of a time.

A good report from oldtimer who obviously didn't let the relatively trivial ruin his holiday as some do :clap:
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks for a nice balanced review, oldtimer. Let's face it, we all have different tastes. What appeals to some may not be to someone else's liking and vice versa, but still interesting to hear different opinions.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Absolutely agree - and I hope they supply individually named luggage labels, or I won't be going !!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

You can have an individually named labels Cubie. Just not your name.

Topic author
oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

On Azura in April and individually named luggage labels but Britannia trip 2 weeks ago all labels were only in my name, suppose it doesn't matter as both in same cabin.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Last time we went we got three labels each. Since we mix our stuff between cases are we committing an offence if I put my socks in Trish's case?

For those who are so pedantic about having their own name do they religiously separate their smalls? And if they've already filled their own cases do they decline to use any spare space in their fellow traveller's?

So long as I and my stuff are on the ship am I bovvered?

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Personally and it is a personal opinion, I thought she was stunning, could not fault anything, food, service, adored the decor, very modern but welcoming and I found the whole ship had some lovely intimate areas as well as a feeling of space. Loved the large atrium, Java very good and the Blue Bar was a really nice area for a pre-dinner meeting place. Must admit did not use Market Cafe and that could be the first change as never looked busy. I thought my cabin was great (balcony with sofa on F deck) and much better without that shower curtain that sticks to your bum.. :crazy: (that is not a complaint as on Azura next year.. shower curtain and all..) , as for bedside lamp, there are lights above the bed, so lack of side lights gives more space on bedside table, which I need as that is where I keep my jewellery... again IMO. I agree that the kettle plug is rather on the large side, but I just unplugged it to use the hairdryer :moresarcasm: One of our friends thought the lack of being able to see your bill via the interactive TV was so you could not see how much you were spending and not be tempted to slow down!! That said very easy to get a copy from reception if needed. Many people were moaning about the lack of midship staircase, we are in our early sixties, but did not find it an issue as we just walked to fore or aft and used the stairs there ...kept us fit!! Buffet excellent, Beach House amazing, outside space and seating wonderful... Balcony was smaller, but big enough to sit on and watch the world and sea go by. Was on her with Janis Rosser, so company first class too.. :clap: :thumbup:
Jenni

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote:
Absolutely agree - and I hope they supply individually named luggage labels, or I won't be going !!
:sarcasm: :lol:

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Thanks jenni, that has cheered me up no end, hopefully we will have a great cruise to the canaries in 2 weeks . Although the luggage labels are not in my name ! :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

JenniC wrote:
Personally and it is a personal opinion, I thought she was stunning, could not fault anything, food, service, adored the decor, very modern but welcoming and I found the whole ship had some lovely intimate areas as well as a feeling of space. Loved the large atrium, Java very good and the Blue Bar was a really nice area for a pre-dinner meeting place. Must admit did not use Market Cafe and that could be the first change as never looked busy. I thought my cabin was great (balcony with sofa on F deck) and much better without that shower curtain that sticks to your bum.. :crazy: (that is not a complaint as on Azura next year.. shower curtain and all..) , as for bedside lamp, there are lights above the bed, so lack of side lights gives more space on bedside table, which I need as that is where I keep my jewellery... again IMO. I agree that the kettle plug is rather on the large side, but I just unplugged it to use the hairdryer :moresarcasm: One of our friends thought the lack of being able to see your bill via the interactive TV was so you could not see how much you were spending and not be tempted to slow down!! That said very easy to get a copy from reception if needed. Many people were moaning about the lack of midship staircase, we are in our early sixties, but did not find it an issue as we just walked to fore or aft and used the stairs there ...kept us fit!! Buffet excellent, Beach House amazing, outside space and seating wonderful... Balcony was smaller, but big enough to sit on and watch the world and sea go by. Was on her with Janis Rosser, so company first class too.. :clap: :thumbup:
Agree wholeheartedly Jenni - though not about Blod, she wasn't on our cruise. One of the few she's missed! Funny about the account on the tv thing. We asked about that on the Maiden and they said it would be available "shortly". Must look up shortly and see what it means! :thumbup:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well folks I’ve tried to keep my review short and sweet so here goes.

Embarkation:
Travelled down to Southampton with Intercruises - longer journey than normal - we had to kill time in the services for almost an hour and a half because the driver was under instructions to arrive no earlier than 2 pm - bit of a pain! We had passengers for the Caribbean Princess cruise to the Baltic on our coach so we dropped them off first and then made our way to the terminal. Because so many coaches arrived at the same time there was a queue into the terminal and a wait at the bottom of the escalator but once at the top there was only a short queue for the priority embarkation and no queue for the security check so through very quickly.

I travelled on this trip with my friends from home and had arranged to meet up with JenniC (my Modplod mate) and husband Steve who I hadn’t seen since our cruise to the Caribbean in January - a lot of catching up to do!!

First impressions:
Wow !! Stunning - I liked everything about the atrium - the central hanging sculpture was amazing especially in the evening when different coloured lights were projected onto it - the furnishings and decor are subdued and personally I liked the artwork although it’s a very personal thing and I can understand people not liking it. It was very spacious and open and I found this throughout the ship with one or two exceptions which I will come to later. First experience of the infamous mid ship lifts which were manned by crew members - didn’t have to wait too long and only had to go up to deck 8 anyway. During the cruise I usually walked to the aft or forward lifts and used the stairs to get to the lower floors - no problem at all.

Cabin:
I booked an obstructed view balcony cabin on G deck (G520) and was very happy with it although a little bit disappointed with the size of the balcony but having been spoilt with a C deck balcony cabin in January on the Azura in the Caribbean that was understandable - it was however perfectly adequate for me on my own. The obstruction was a sort of arm thing holding one end of a lifeboat but there was a clear view either side of it. There was a settee next to the balcony door on one side and a dressing table on the other with a kettle and tea/coffee making facilities. Hairdryer in the drawer with a continental plug which was next to the kettle point and I had to take this out to get the plug in to use the hairdryer but not a problem - there were several extra points in the cabin - useful for plugging in hair straighteners and charging phone etc. Bathroom was compact - nice touch the glass door on the shower - open wardrobe as on Azura - tall cupboard housing safe and shelves but the area was narrower. Although single cabins are available for people on their own like me I do prefer the space of a double cabin. I liked the colour scheme and the furnishings - loved the big tv but why they haven’t programmed it yet with account details is a mystery.

Restaurants:
We were on Freedom dining in the Meridian restaurant on deck 5 - actually dined in there only three times because we used some of the other venues - the Beach House, the Glasshouse and the Limelight Club. I liked the way the Meridian was divided into smaller sections - more like a lot of small restaurants in a big one - the food and service were good - menus very similar to those on other ships. Very little queueing especially if prepared to share a table - it is pretty special sitting near a window and sailing through the Fjords - the scenery is so spectacular.

We dined in the Beach House twice - they have taken up a much larger space in the Horizon restaurant and it is so open with amazing views from the top of the ship and the food was scrumptious especially the fillet steak and the dessert of a trio of donuts and the hot fruit platter with ice-cream - yummy!! The Glass House was a bit of a disappointment simply because of the room we ate in at the side of the main bar area - rather dark and a bit claustrophobic with little atmosphere - had we eaten in the main area I’m sure it would have been a much better experience. However the food and wine were both great - no complaints about that. The Horizon buffet area is a vast improvement - well spaced out - both the food areas and the seating areas. Only ate in there for breakfast and lunch a couple of times but plenty of choice.

Didn’t use the Market Cafe except for a coffee and it was generally very quiet in there unlike Java which was always full - it will be lovely in warm weather to sit outside Java on the deck area outside - the Glass House has a similar outside space to sit and have a drink.

Bars:
The Blue Bar on deck 5 in the atrium was a lovely area to sit and have a drink before dinner - the Kir Royales went down a treat!! This area was ideal for the Captain’s welcome on board party - decks 6 and 7 overlook the atrium and it wasn’t so crowded. Brodie’s too had plenty of seating and had a good atmosphere.

There were several bars on the Sun and Lido decks - I’ll be trying them out in December in the Caribbean. The area around the pools on Lido deck was very spacious with lots of beds although I did notice people reserving beds with towels and books - silly really in Norway where the weather can change within an hour from strong sunshine to flippin freezing :crazy: There was a nice "quiet" area on the Sun deck next to the Retreat called the Serenity pool - I believe it is for the over 16s only.

The Crows Nest was a lovely area to have a drink and chat and there was a very good pianist playing in there most nights.

The Crystal Room had a resident band and singer and the dance instructors held classes in there and hosted the dancing in the evening.

We had booked to see Kiki Dee and the guitarist who accompanied her in the Limelight Club and I have to confess she didn’t rock my boat although she obviously had fans in the audience. I did like the Club itself - the food was good - nice atmosphere but it would have to be somebody special to tempt me in there again.

Entertainment:
The Headliners were probably the best group I have seen in a while - the shows were new too and the theatre had been fitted with all sorts of fantastic lighting and special effects systems which enhanced the performances.

Cookery Club:
Had a peep in the room but didn't participate in any of the classes - found it funny that it is right next to the gym - somewhere to work off the calories ;)

Disembarking:
We had to wait in the Meridian restaurant for an 8.15 a.m. departure - barely had time to sit down before we were called and off the ship - found the cases, got on the bus and we were leaving the docks by 8.55 a.m. - I was home by 1.30 p.m. so no complaints there.

Final thoughts:
So did I like Britannia - yes - would I sail on her again - definitely (well having booked for Christmas this year I don’t have much choice :lol:). Although she is a big ship I didn’t find her too big - the layout is similar to Azura and Ventura and venues are arranged in a similar way. I liked the choice of dining venues - not obligatory to use but I enjoy the change. I realise some people will simply not entertain trying her out but as Merv often says there are plenty of other ships out there and wouldn’t it be a boring old world if we all liked the same things. Having only been on her for 7 days there wasn't time to try everything out so looking forward to Christmas.

So overall a lovely week on P&O's new ship - good food, entertainment and company - once again really enjoyed spending time with Jenni and Steve - roll on Christmas :thumbup:
Janis

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Thanks Janis, great review of Britannia and makes me look forward even more to my cruise on her in 2 weeks.

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Did I say it's only 2'weeks till our cruise !! ( as you can tell I'm a bit excited )

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:

For those who are so pedantic about having their own name do they religiously separate their smalls? And if they've already filled their own cases do they decline to use any spare space in their fellow traveller's?

?
We've always split our clothes between the cases, just in case one goes astray en route.

When we flew to Germany last year for our river cruise, one of our cases didn't arrive with us. Fortunately it was on the next plane and got to the ship after dinner, but at least we had to reassurance that we at least had SOME clothes each, even if the case had been later

So I'm not bovvered about what the name is on the tag...although it's more likely to be mine as I make the bookings!
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Same packing philosophy as us, especially on any trip where we're going to lose sight of the cases at any time.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I do all the packing for holidays and always mix our clothes (even when we took the children) between our 2 cases so don't care which label is used. We've had a delayed case before although not on a cruise it was when we went to Cambodia so we were very glad of the mixed case!! It did turn up the next day :clap:

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”