Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Now we Know

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:
Qbob
all anyone has seen is a few mock ups and some PR spin
if that's enough for you ,then well done you
Me I prefer informed real world reviews and people's experience to give me a sense of the boat nd will wait till the bugs have been ironed out
who knows what the boat will be like based on a few photo shopped images?
I get your gist DK but I can at the least see that there is very little outside space and most importantly of all no promenade deck of the type that we prefer. We go cruising for what is outside the ship and not what is inside. Suffice to say that we definitely won't be amongst the first to sail on her but shall nevertheless read with interest the views of those that do.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Qbob
totally agree, we will not be rushing to book, but will wait till it has some cruises under it's belt and then tke a view
my biggest issue is that the itineraries are the same as every other boat in the fleet, I was hoping they would have made an effort to do something special and that is one of the main reasons I am not desperate to board
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I suppose I must be a traditionalist at heart and am not too bothered whether it is a large ship I am on or a smaller ship. All have their own advantages and disadvantages. However I am not keen on the current trend of doing away with the teak wrap-around promenade deck as a place to sit in sun or in shade as the mood (and temperature) takes me. QM2 at 140,000 tonnes managed to retain its promenade deck so it's a pity P&O declined this option.

It doesn't mean no Britannia for me but whilst she looks a beautiful ship I will not be rushing to join her.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I could be wrong but I suspect the trend away from wide Promenade Decks to lounge on might be related to the large proportion of passengers who now have their own balconies to sit on. We'd certainly much prefer our own space to being tripped over by the power walkers each time they come around!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I could be wrong but I suspect the trend away from wide Promenade Decks to lounge on might be related to the large proportion of passengers who now have their own balconies to sit on. We'd certainly much prefer our own space to being tripped over by the power walkers each time they come around!
Not necessarily.

If I were a cynical person (heaven forbid) I would say it is more to do with keeping passengers in areas where they are able to part with their cash. Walking around decks does not generate any income - unless you start charging by the lap :thumbdown:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I had a quick chat with David Dingle about this at the AGM three years ago. He said it was something to do with where to put the lifeboats and that they were considering putting the promenade deck up at the top "where it used to be on the traditional Atlantic liners". I let him have my views on that and also on the use of artificial decks instead of teak. He reckoned that they were almost indistinguishable these days, but they aren't.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Artificial decks vs teak? Lino vs parquet flooring? There is a big difference. The cynic in me agrees with David. It's more to do with revenue generation either by enticing us towards the inner attractions or the addition of more balconies.

I think P&O should be mindful that those who have inside cabins will need somewhere to sit during the day and not everybody wants to sit in the full glare of the sun. The lack of a promenade deck is a retrograde step for me.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
Artificial decks vs teak? Lino vs parquet flooring? There is a big difference. The cynic in me agrees with David. It's more to do with revenue generation either by enticing us towards the inner attractions or the addition of more balconies.

I think P&O should be mindful that those who have inside cabins will need somewhere to sit during the day and not everybody wants to sit in the full glare of the sun. The lack of a promenade deck is a retrograde step for me.
My thoughts exactly.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Oh... and Azura has a plastic deck.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Qbob
didn't have you down for doing laps of the ship in green and pink lycra, with a sweat band on your head and a tachometer on your shoes
just go to show, you think you know someone
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Pink perhaps, green never :eek:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quizzical Bob wrote:
I had a quick chat with David Dingle about this at the AGM three years ago. He said it was something to do with where to put the lifeboats and that they were considering putting the promenade deck up at the top "where it used to be on the traditional Atlantic liners".

It used to be a regulation that lifeboat's had to be a certain height above the waterline to minimise the risk of them being damaged when the going got rough, which was why they were at the top. Of course as ships have got taller they can meet that need on a lower deck.

While, unlike you apparently, it's not a show-stopper for me to not have a wrap round Promenade Deck, because I'm happy to a) open doors, b) change direction when I get to a blockage or c) walk on a higher deck, I do agree than teak is a lot nicer than vinyl.

But I suspect that has nothing to do with cruise lines preference and everything to do with cost. But it comes back to what are our priorities. If we want teak, wider decks and less revenue earning space, we have to be prepared to pay for it in higher fares. Oh and not complain that the inside is pokey if they take ten to fifteen feet off it to make the decks wider.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Not necessarily.

If I were a cynical person (heaven forbid) I would say it is more to do with keeping passengers in areas where they are able to part with their cash. Walking around decks does not generate any income - unless you start charging by the lap :thumbdown:
Yes but it is more likely to build up a thirst than lounging indoors, especially when the aircon is on high and you need a fleece to keep you warm.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I notice that some of the balcony cabins are shown as obstructed view ???

I wonder if that is just because the top of the lifeboats as on Celebrity ships or a genuine obstruction
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

barney wrote:

I wonder if that is just because the top of the lifeboats as on Celebrity ships or a genuine obstruction
If they do the same as they have for the other ships they'll eventually put pictures of those cabins on the website to show the extent of the obstructions. But I imagine they won't be able to do that until it's finished. The only obstruction at the moment is probably an 18 stone Italian welder fixing the widgets on!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

There was a feature on our local BBC news this evening showing the floating out and including a few words with Captain David Pembridge strolling around the interior. The funnels are blue but the flag's not been painted yet, perhaps they're waiting for Scotland to decide ;). Blinking flip, it really does look like an enormous prison, sorry, block of flats.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote:

There are some pictures of Royal Princess obstructed view balconies on the CC Princess forum, and yes it is the lifeboats that protrude above the balcony, mainly on E deck I believe.
They do seem to make more of an obstruction than on the Celebrity Solstice ships, some of them are quite a way above the balcony rail.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

towny44 wrote:
barney wrote:

There are some pictures of Royal Princess obstructed view balconies on the CC Princess forum, and yes it is the lifeboats that protrude above the balcony, mainly on E deck I believe.
They do seem to make more of an obstruction than on the Celebrity Solstice ships, some of them are quite a way above the balcony rail.
Ideal for a quick getaway though :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Thanks guys, I checked that out will will definately not be booking an obstructed view balcony.

a view of the ocean is good
a view of a life boat , no ta!

Tiny balconies aren't they? But better than none I suppose.

We absolutely love the interior decor. Very classy in my opinion.
Empty vessels .. and all that

cruiseclues
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by cruiseclues »

It seemed classy to me. :):):):)
Happy Cruising, Buil
http://Cruiseclues.com

Return to “Britannia Cruises 2015”