Balmoral Norovirus

Anything about Fred Olsen cruises

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Balmoral Norovirus

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

These stories of people defying the instruction to stay in the cabin rather make my point about the cruise companies being too quick to accept blame when their efforts are thwarted by irresponsible passengers. Even stopping a card doesn't stop someone using the buffet for example.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
What I don't understand is if someone has norovirus why all cabin occupants are not confined to the cabin, this might sound unfair but surely there is a risk that the person not confined could be unknowingly spreading it around the ship.
We went on the Oriana cruise with another couple but only myself and t'other couple's wife contracted it ... both other halves were absolutely fine throughout, and indeed beyond, the cruise ... so there seems little point in restricting everybody in the cabin if our experience was anything to go by.
That's interesting. Either it must be more difficult to catch than we thought or perhaps there was some immunity.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
These stories of people defying the instruction to stay in the cabin rather make my point about the cruise companies being too quick to accept blame when their efforts are thwarted by irresponsible passengers. Even stopping a card doesn't stop someone using the buffet for example.
Possibly but the buffet ceases to be self service during an outbreak .... but another risk has to be those bowls of nuts that people dip their fingers in and out of whilst licking their fingers etc :sick:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I see what you are saying Moby and I'm sure that the others in your party were responsible people and would have taken every precaution to ensure they were not spreading it but not everyone is as considerate, my other question would be if it takes 48 hours to develop how would someone know they were not spreading it around during that time.

I'm not saying everyone should be confined to their cabins just trying to understand why those you would think most likely to get it don't get confined if there is the risk they could be unknowingly spreading it around.
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Manoverboard wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Possibly but the buffet ceases to be self service during an outbreak .... but another risk has to be those bowls of nuts that people dip their fingers in and out of whilst licking their fingers etc :sick:
I gave up on the bowls of nuts years ago for that very reason, even the narrow neck jars they seem to favour now you still see people putting their fingers in them.
Jo

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

on our last 2 cruises, there has been no self service for the first 2 or 3 days, to ensure if anyone has it and brought it with them, then it has time to incubate and to isolate the dirty buggers who brought it on board
People bring Noro on board and spread it around coz they are dirty, unhygienic and selfish
Nihil Obstat

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Dark Knight wrote:
People bring Noro on board and spread it around coz they are dirty, unhygienic and selfish
....and then blame the cruise company !

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Onelife wrote:
OK here's the scenario....you cone down with the norovirus, throw up for two days, then start feeling better the next day... which is just as well as you and your partner have a cruise booked the following day.

Do you cancel....?

I'll tell you what I would do after you have told me what you would do. You've got till tomorrow evening to give me an honest answer.

Regards

OL

With the lack of responses to my question l think it safe to presume that most of you really don't give a dam about the wellbeing of your fellow passenger....which l may add is a very selfish and inconsiderate thing to do.

The fact that you are more than likely still contagious when stepping onto the ship...even if you're not there is a very good chance your partner could be which is why the right and proper thing to do would be to cancel your cruise.

Ok, so what would l do?......well l wouldn't give a sh*t about my fellow passengers and do as most of you will do and go with the attitude that its every man, women and child for themselves when it comes to cleaning up their own mess.

Merv.....l take my hat off to you as l wouldn't have informed them that l had been throwing up two days previously. But then l am a selfish git.

Happy cruising everyone.
Last edited by Onelife on 14 May 2015, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Dark Knight wrote:
on our last 2 cruises, there has been no self service for the first 2 or 3 days, to ensure if anyone has it and brought it with them, then it has time to incubate and to isolate the dirty buggers who brought it on board
I wouldn't go that far DK I'm sure there are people who have no idea they have it at the time of boarding and are not aware until a day or so later, I do agree with you about no self service for the first 2/3 days though, we have been on ships where this has been put into practice and the ship remained 'noro free'.
Jo

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

ey up Keefy Lard a*se

we all knew what you would do anyway, so no point responding
selfish , dirty sod......happy Noro to you ;-)
Nihil Obstat

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

DQ
we had one person on our last cruise, who coughed and sneezed over everything, didn't use the hand sanitiser etc etc

that is selfish, dirty and unhygienic in my world?
Nihil Obstat

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

:wave: :lol:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Onelife wrote:
Onelife wrote:
OK here's the scenario....you cone down with the norovirus, throw up for two days, then start feeling better the next day... which is just as well as you and your partner have a cruise booked the following day.

Do you cancel....?

I'll tell you what I would do after you have told me what you would do. You've got till tomorrow evening to give me an honest answer.

Regards

OL

With the lack of responses to my question l think it safe to presume that most of you really don't give a dam about the wellbeing of your fellow passenger....which l may add is a very selfish and inconsiderate thing to do.

The fact that you are more than likely still contagious when stepping onto the ship...even if you're not there is a very good chance your partner could be which is why the right and proper thing to do would be to cancel your cruise.

Ok, so what would l do?......well l wouldn't give a sh*t about my fellow passengers and do as most of you will do and go with the attitude that its every man, women and child for themselves when it comes to cleaning up their own mess.

Merv.....l take my hat off to you as l wouldn't have informed them that l had been throwing up two days previously. But then l am a selfish git.

Happy cruising everyone.
I think the lack of response to your question Keefy is probably because none of us know what we would do unless faced with the predicament.

Perhaps it is up to the cruise line to make it clear that if you do declare it then except in extreme circumstances you would still be allowed to board, I'm sure many people who have probably waited months and looked forward to their holiday would keep quiet rather than run the risk of being prevented from boarding, another issue of course would be those who would object to having to pay for medical services.

Although I have been fortunate never having to make the decision as we have a four hour journey to Southampton I would assume if I could make that journey then I would be fit to travel and whether I declared it or not at check in I would certainly do my utmost to avoid contact with other people for a couple of days even if this meant self confinement to the cabin.
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Dark Knight wrote:
DQ
we had one person on our last cruise, who coughed and sneezed over everything, didn't use the hand sanitiser etc etc

that is selfish, dirty and unhygienic in my world?
I quite agree DK these people do walk among us and we've all seen it :o I'm really talking about the nice genuine people who are not aware beforehand or someone who through no fault of their own may have picked it up on boarding day, responsible people will act responsibly unfortunately we also have to tolerate the ones you describe.
Jo

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

There was NV on the last sector of our cruise. Many people knew this. I knew it because I was in the medical centre the day after we left San Francisco. I was having my session on the nebuliser. One of the non medical staff was continually wiping down the surfaces with a cloth and a bucket. This didn’t usually happen when I was there. I saw a woman being hurried into the ward opposite, heard the toilet flushing then 5 minutes later she left. I then heard the nurse say ‘That’s the 9th injection I’ve done, do we do anything else?’. I don’t think they were giving vaccinations for mumps or measles. :sarcasm: No announcements were made and no precautions taken for the entire sector. So first of all how many people have to be infected before precautions are taken? Secondly I thought people were supposed to stay in their cabins and not go down to the medical centre?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You do indeed stay in your cabin. Myself, I felt so ill and looked so dreadful I know I wouldn't have made it to the medical centre. Had I got NV on the way down to Southampton there is no way I could have driven down.
I was talking to a chap who had helped an old chap out of a steamer on the prom deck. The old fella told him how ill he felt, had been throwing up all night and thought he might feel better if he came out on deck for a bit of fresh air!!! That's what you're putting up with. Some people must have stronger constitutions than I if they can walk around with it. And how far had that virus been spread?

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Too true Foxy. When we had it we had neither the strength nor the inclination to move more than 30 seconds away from the loo!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Far too much info, thanks, Merv ! It's lunch time

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I do recall a few years back we were due to fly out to Cyprus. Unfortunately my wife must have caught some kind of stomach bug and as a result was throwing up right up to 3 hours before we were due to board the plane....Don't ask me how she did it but she was tucking into a bacon and sausage breakfast an hour into the flight.

Btw... I did ask my wife if she wanted to cancel but she said she wanted to come with me :lol:

Tough as nails are those Brummie girls

Return to “Fred Olsen”