Fred Olsen Brochure

Anything about Fred Olsen cruises

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Fred Olsen Brochure

Post by CaroleF »

Rather belatedly I realised that although we've got a Braemar cruise booked for the end of this month and I've scoured the Fred Olsen website I hadn't actually got a Fred Olsen brochure so I sent for one a couple of days ago. It certainly leaves the P&O one far behind. Apart from the few short cruises they do each cruise has a whole page with information about the ports and lots of photos. The longer cruises of course have more than one page. I would say it's at least twice the size of the P&O brochure, although of course Fred Olsen only has four ships so P&O have more to include. However, there's none of this listing all the Caribbean fly cruises one after the other. It certainly does look impressive - just a shame the ships are so old.

Carole

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Fred Olsen Brochure

Post by colin parry »

Years ago the P&O brochure was somewhat similar and a much more friendly product than the current abomination.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

CaroleF wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 16:54
- just a shame the ships are so old.
Looks alright to me.........................
20643408_10212711201548613_6649122472067808911_o.jpg
P&O's latest brochures are really quite uninspiring. I agree with you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I think that a lot of the problem is that there are only so many ways to organise a brochure (by ship, by date or by area) and there is no way that any cruise line will be able to please all the people all of the time.

Do I like P&O's brochure? - not really, but having said that if I am looking for a cruise I normally use the search/filter facility on-line.

Another thing to remember is that someone has to pay for all of the brochures that are printed and we all know who that is - yup, it is us passengers.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I do like the feel and look of a good cruise brochure, I still use the website for cabin grade pricing but nothing beats the joy of browsing through a glossy brochure; and I prefer to pay that cost rather than line Rob Brydon's pockets.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

When you look at how much it must cost to employ Rob Brydon and pay for TV advertising I would much rather the money be spent in other ways in making the brand more attractive.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The difference is the brochure is for people who know they fancy a cruise. Rob Bryden is to try to attract new customers. For my money I'm not that bothered about chopping down a few trees for a brochure that will be in the bin within 6 months

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

But how many people get a brochure and then do not go on a cruise? We have all done it, gone into the travel agents and come out with an armful of brochures that end up in the [recycle] bin.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 17:45
CaroleF wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 16:54
- just a shame the ships are so old.
Looks alright to me.........................

20643408_10212711201548613_6649122472067808911_o.jpg

P&O's latest brochures are really quite uninspiring. I agree with you.
And that's after the refit :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 10:45
When you look at how much it must cost to employ Rob Brydon and pay for TV advertising I would much rather the money be spent in other ways in making the brand more attractive.
Agree Foxy, like sending out brochure requests, if at all, before the next version comes out.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 16:21
But how many people get a brochure and then do not go on a cruise? We have all done it, gone into the travel agents and come out with an armful of brochures that end up in the [recycle] bin.
It's all built into the cost somewhere.

What annoys me is the print size. Even with the old jam jars on I struggle to see the print sometimes, especially cabin numbers on the deck plans. Celebrity are the worlds worst where you need bionic eyes to see their cabin numbers. I usually have to resort to their web site then so I can enlarge the images.

Yeah, I know. Poor old bu99er, bless him :angel:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 16:34

What annoys me is the print size. Even with the old jam jars on I struggle to see the print sometimes, especially cabin numbers on the deck plans. Celebrity are the worlds worst where you need bionic eyes to see their cabin numbers. I usually have to resort to their web site then so I can enlarge the images.

Yes, which we pay. I'd rather have a decent cabin biscuit. Just saying. .........

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

What annoys me is the print size.
It's not just the print size. Who is the muppet who decides to use a beautiful scene for background and then prints into the shaded bits so you can hardly read it. There seems to be quite a trend amongst brochure designers and magazine printers. Looks good but is totally frustrating.
And I wonder why the reliance on celebrities like Rob Brydon to advertise P&O's wares at huge expense when we have Merv. Seriously do these people think we are more tempted to buy if a celebrity recommends something?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks for the recommendation Foxy. Yes I'd do the videos much cheaper. Just bung us a free cruise.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 21:07

What annoys me is the print size.
It's not just the print size. Who is the muppet who decides to use a beautiful scene for background and then prints into the shaded bits so you can hardly read it. There seems to be quite a trend amongst brochure designers and magazine printers. Looks good but is totally frustrating.
And I wonder why the reliance on celebrities like Rob Brydon to advertise P&O's wares at huge expense when we have Merv. Seriously do these people think we are more tempted to buy if a celebrity recommends something?

Rob Brydon's fees and expenses are cheaper than Merv's

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 19:29

Yes, which we pay. I'd rather have a decent cabin biscuit. Just saying. .........

With you there Merv. Bring back the old thick crunchy biscuits. Perhaps we should organise a protest outside P&O HQ

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

The biscuits at the moment are dreadful. I don't think we've had a packet with two whole biscuits - usually just broken bits. I don't know who P&O are paying for them but they're a waste of money. Bring back proper biscuits - now what were they called - something like Priory Crumbles?

Carole

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

CaroleF wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 11:57
The biscuits at the moment are dreadful. I don't think we've had a packet with two whole biscuits - usually just broken bits. I don't know who P&O are paying for them but they're a waste of money. Bring back proper biscuits - now what were they called - something like Priory Crumbles?

Carole
The gulls at Funchal particularly like the new ginger ones !

IMG_3781.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Does one know that one can still buy Priory Crumbles ... and to then take them with one on one's cruise.

Priory Crumble biscuits for sale

Just saying.

ps ... what was the Topic ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

You have the Power.....

.....to re-name it "Biscuits" !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 13:45
Does one know that one can still buy Priory Crumbles ... and to then take them with one on one's cruise.

Priory Crumble biscuits for sale

Just saying.

ps ... what was the Topic ?
BUY :shock: Steady on Moby

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I believe it's Carole leading us off topic with talk of her Priory Crumbles. I'll have a word with the OP. Wait a minute........................it's Carole!!!

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 22:35
Thanks for the recommendation Foxy. Yes I'd do the videos much cheaper. Just bung us a free cruise.
Well you've made a start with your piccy in the Azura programme.

I think you should contact P&O publicity and get yourself a deal. You could end up a media celebrity (sorry, I mean an even more famous celebrity) like the chap who used to do the Halifax ads.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

They've been using that pic since it was taken on the maiden cruise. We're very flattered. Even more so when it appeared on the Britannia maiden! Presumably they'd not yet built up their own library of pics. It was funny when we went to chat to one of the performers in the Limelight Club and he said "I've been looking at you two all evening. Are you the couple in Horizon?"

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

... and what did you say ? :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Fred Olsen”