Formal Night Balls - dress

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Formal Night Balls - dress

Post by Bobbie »

I've just found out that on our forthcoming Cunard 12 night cruise there will be only 3 formal nights (I was hoping for 4!) and they are all themed - Cunard Ball (black and white), London Ball (red, white and blue or pearly king/queen) and 175 Ball (black, red and gold). Can someone who has been on Cunard please tell me if the majority of people stick to the suggested colours? I know on P&O that most people wear black & white to that theme night (with one or two people always wearing red, just to be different!). I have black and white so am OK for that, but also a lovely purple dress, and a green dress, will I look out of place?
Thanks.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Formal Night Balls - dress

Post by GillD46 »

The Balls are really only very obvious if you're in the Queen's Room for the dancing. I can't say I have noticed that many passengers dressing for them, apart from black&white night which does seem a bit more followed.

I think you'll be fine in your dresses - dressing formally for a formal night is more important than the colour you choose. Enjoy your cruise - we are great Cunard fans.
Gill

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

Thanks Gill. We are looking forward to it.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I agree with Gill other than the black/white ball it is usually people in the ballroom who tend to join in and dress in the 'theme' suggested the one exception I've particularly noticed is if there has been a Venetian ball and people do seem to join in more by wearing masks tbh I have seen some quite ridiculous outfits it makes you wonder where people get them from but I guess it keeps ebay in business :lol:

I think your dresses sound fine and you will not look out of place.

Enjoy .. I'm a huge Cunard fan too.
Jo

colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by colwill »

I also agree with Gill.

Once, when sitting in the Commodore Club on Queen Victoria, I spotted a chap wearing what I thought were protective glasses, the type my beloved was given after a cataract op; had we been sitting nearer, we'd probably have started a nice sympathetic little chat about eye surgery... It was some time before the penny dropped that it was Masquerade Ball night, and this was his mask. Almost never seen generally on board, though I avoid the ballroom.

Return to “Cunard”