One day excursion into USA New York Custom requirements

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

One day excursion into USA New York Custom requirements

Post by Razorback »

We are on a Cunard cruise from Southampton to the Caribbean for The Christmas / New Year. We have a one day stop over in New York and would like to take a small one day excursion off the ship . What would be the Customs requirements to enter USA just for the day? Is there an express queue and what paperwork do you need? We have arranged an entry visa for a later date, when we disembark the ship in NY with our luggage and have a few days before flying home. All we'll have is ourselves, warm clothing and a camera on our excursion day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: One day excursion into USA New York Custom requirements

Post by Manoverboard »

The immigration controls vary according to your Nationality and place of domesticity ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I have no idea what type of visa is required for Australian citizens but if the one you have already is for a later date you will have to obtain another one for entry into the US when you reach New York regardless of being in transit to the Caribbean or whether you had initially intended to disembark or not on that day, if not you could find yourself on a plane straight back to Australia.

Unfortunately there is no fast track to disembark and all 'aliens' have to clear immigration ( including crew ) before anyone is allowed to disembark, it is a number of years since I have done this in NY but in the past immigration officers used to sail across with us so all the formalities were concluded prior to arrival, I don't think this happens now so it is more likely they will board when the pilot does and immigration will probably start around 5.00am, I have even read somewhere that it is/can also be done as individuals disembark so I'm afraid my information may not be accurate as I can only speak for my past experiences, maybe we have a member who has experienced it more recently who will be more informed than I am.
Jo

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Irrespective of your nationality I thought that for cruises to the Caribbean / USA waters you needed a visa (ESTA). As they are valid for 2 years actual dates are not necessary.

In our own experience immigration officers have boarded the ship to give the clearance.

The requirement is to ensure there are no problems if you are taken ill on board and need medical treatment on USA soil.

On disembarking there is still the normal queue for shore immigration. Personnaly I would be hesitant in pre booking a trip arranged by myself as it can take a while to get ashore. My usual place always seems to be at the back of the queue.

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

The requirements for Australians is the same as UK in that you need an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation). You need this before boarding the ship. It is valid for two years and costs US$14.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
Brian

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We had to clear immigration at the terminal (Red Hook) about 4 years ago. Because it was a 90 day inspection for crew, it took ages - and we had left the ship very early! I would say leave as early as possible and be prepared for a lengthy wait.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We visited New York on a cruise a few years ago and were warned about the immigration delays so I booked an early tour thing we would clear sooner. In the event we had to queue for over an hour whereas those who went ashore independently rushed off very early and went straight through.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

surely whatever visa you get for the second bit can be dated from your first landfall- covering both bits?
Meg
x

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Two years ago we went on Aurora to NY. Our daughter had flown into NY the previous day to join us & sail back. We were keen to get off as quickly as possible and had buffet breakfast and were on the streets by 7:30. Dancing Queen is correct that crew also have to clear immigration & an engineer told us that all crew had to leave the ship, be checked and then go back on board. The reason that I mention this is that no one is allowed back on board until all crew are checked. So although we were off the ship by 7:30, we would not have been allowed back on board before about 11:00am when all formalities had been completed.
As an aside, I couldn't believe the number of passengers that spent time in the CyberStudy on the journey across applying for ESTAs.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

BrianI wrote:
The requirements for Australians is the same as UK in that you need an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation). You need this before boarding the ship. It is valid for two years and costs US$14.
Brian
It's quite possible this is what Razorback already has then Brian, I've obviously read the post wrongly and thought he only had a Visa which was dated for when he actually disembarks at the end of the cruise, having just had a quick look at the esta site you can apparently only apply for one if you don't have any other sort of visa, as helpful as we would all like to be only Razorback can confirm what documentation he has already and knowing how much US immigration love 'aliens' to simply apply for an esta could be the wrong thing to do in this instance, hopefully not and he already has what he will need.
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Ranchi wrote:
Two years ago we went on Aurora to NY. Our daughter had flown into NY the previous day to join us & sail back. We were keen to get off as quickly as possible and had buffet breakfast and were on the streets by 7:30. Dancing Queen is correct that crew also have to clear immigration & an engineer told us that all crew had to leave the ship, be checked and then go back on board. The reason that I mention this is that no one is allowed back on board until all crew are checked. So although we were off the ship by 7:30, we would not have been allowed back on board before about 11:00am when all formalities had been completed.
As an aside, I couldn't believe the number of passengers that spent time in the CyberStudy on the journey across applying for ESTAs.

Obviously it is all change since we did TA's on QE2 Ranchi as immigration was always done on board but then I'm probably going back to before the esta was introduced, we have since done TA with P&O and again immigration came on board however the last time ( about 4 years ago ) it was done in Philadelphia and what a shambles that was :roll:
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

BrianI wrote:
Brian
But ..... not all Australians are, well, Australian.

The OP(s) could be Brits, Thai or have originated from one of the many Countries that the Americans have an issue with. I did not think therefore that an ESTA would apply in ALL cases.

The OP may wish to clarify this point for us.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Very true Moby now why didn't I think of that, you are so logical :clap: :clap:
Jo

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Razorback,I think you need to check with your local USA Embassy to ensure you have the right documents..
Things can change but the last thing you will want on your cruise is any hiccups.

Being a UK citizen my own visa became invalid when the ESTA was introduced. In the past I have flown in and out of Toronto then entering USA and the only documents I needed was my passport but arriving by ship or plane direct to the USA the ESTA was required.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It can obviously vary somewhat.

For us in Toronto, 2010 I think it was, we needed an ESTA to fly out of Toronto to Las Vegas even though the US had an immigration post within their airport ... we also needed it to go by boat across the lake to Bolt(?) Island in the good ol US Of A.

Contacting the Embassy is a good shout :thumbup:

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

We went into NY twice on a cruise early this year on one occasion it took 2 hours standing in line to get through Immigration as there were only 2 booths open. Next time was quicker at 30 minutes. On the first occasion all the crew also had to get off and clear immigration as it was the first time the ship had been there that season, some of them were queuing for 4 hours.

Everyone had to queue Americans and aliens alike.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Hi Razorback.

There is always a discussion on how to get the best out of New York when a transit passenger on Queen Mary 2. I have already passed you a insight into life onboard during a Christmas and New Year voyage.

Here is what we did on our December call between Southampton and the Caribbean...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... s-edition/

Enjoy your time the. New York knows how to do Christmas.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Hi again Razorback.

My best advice for majority time in New York is to head across to Manhattan under your own steam - assuming of course you are not mobility impaired.

This is how we did it on one transit visit...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... line-walk/

Its quick, efficient and if the pennies do need counting, a very cheap method as well.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I don't know if they do this for ships' pax but when we flew in a few years ago we had to present our thumbs on a scanner, which image was then linked to our passports. We were called to the security point by family group. I handed our passports over, he scanned one then got me to do the thumb scan. Then he looked at the passport and saw that he'd scanned my wife's. Which now had my thumb attached to it. Which meant that she got rejected because her thumb didn't match the one linked to her passport... It got sorted in the end but we were shunted into a side room for ages while the rest of the aircraft passengers walked past giving us funny looks.

So - make sure they look at the right passports!!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “Cunard”