Post refit QM2.

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post refit QM2.

Post by Boris+ »

A while ago we had a bad experience with Cunard, but we heard that QM2 had undergone what they called a 'remastering', and so we decided to give QM2 a second chance - and opted for a four night short outing (not too much money and time wasted then if things weren't what we wanted).

I have an overall way of summing up our experience (and boy oh boy I was surprised) - it's lovely!

Embarkation went smoothly (and we like the new enlarged security section in Ocean Terminal). We also liked the fact that we didn't have to take our tablets out our bags at security. So, straight onto the ship, and up to our suite. New carpets and décor etc., (some of the artwork in the corridors in the accommodation section of the ship remain unchanged, but what the heck!).

Our luggage arrived so quickly, it was unbelievable; then the fruit bowl and flower display was already there, together with the standard champagne and choccies. The choccies are now better and more nicely presented - not the old strawberries dipped in choccy lark.

Well, I don't know how they did it, but the different colour scheme in the suite combined with the rearrangement of some of the furniture made the suite feel more spacious and better equipped! I liked it. I suppose overall you get an extra (better) free standing desk, an extra chair and coffee table and a large footstool thing which matches in with the armchair. I also think that maybe the settee was a bit bigger.

The balcony furniture had radically changed - two 'woven' reclining armchairs with lovely comfy cushions, and a 'locker/trunk' in the same woven stuff in which to store the recliner cushions - so they don't have to take up space in the suite.

It's true, really true - tea and coffee making in the suite. We had a kettle, and also a coffee machine (didn't use it, but it was there). There was also a wooden display case of different teas and biscuits (a bit like the wooden tea case in suites on P&O), and then the tray which included a tea pot and sugar bowl, 2 tea cups/saucers and 2 coffee cups/saucers was kept in a cupboard underneath. Nice - very nice.

The menus had been changed, our restaurant was really lovely, and it felt like there was more space between the tables to move around. We also tried the Kings Court - oh boy, what a change! Fantastic! We walked through the Carinthia a couple of times, but weren't really hungry or thirsty, so we'll have to book another cruise to try that out, but it all looked wonderful.

We also took this outing because we were worn out and needed a break, so we didn't go ashore, and we didn't attend any entertainment.

And yes - we've booked another cruise, this time to coincide with the QV refit in 2017.

Well, just one final comment - we've now got to put up with waiting for our next Cunard cruise. This one was lovely.

Well done Cunard - great changes, liked them all.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Post refit QM2.

Post by david63 »

Boris+ wrote:
We also liked the fact that we didn't have to take our tablets out our bags at security.
I am a bit surprised about that as it is, or at least has been, standard practice when going through security at airports/cruise terminals for many years. I wonder when it changed as it was still a requirement in September.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

It was required for us last Tuesday too!

While the new furnishings in the QG are very nice, I didn't like the layout. What about the bathroom, Em, what, if anything, have they done there?
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

DH asked about it whilst waiting after check-in. They said 'no problem, leave it in the hand luggage', so we did, and there was zero problem.

Hi Gill - Zero change with the bathroom. I did notice that this time the two bathrobes were different (different colour embroidery for the logo), and this was carried through with the towels etc., so it was clearly 'his and hers'.

The toiletries are in nicer little bottles than previously - I think that each little bottle is a bit bigger than before. Otherwise same level of supply etc. I suspect that the whirlpool thingy in the bath had been given a new control switch - and it worked a zillion times better.

Also we found getting online really quick and easier.

I noticed that the nice gold paper covered mints were missing after dinner for the first two nights, but they returned in time for the formal, and were on display in the usual place.

Right then - packing time!!!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
Boris+ wrote:
We also liked the fact that we didn't have to take our tablets out our bags at security.
I am a bit surprised about that as it is, or at least has been, standard practice when going through security at airports/cruise terminals for many years. I wonder when it changed as it was still a requirement in September.
We have never needed to take our medication out of our hand luggage, the only place we ever had to was visiting Australia, where we had to list them and have them available if needed.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Obviously it is the way my brain works - tablets = computer as opposed to tablets = medication

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

SORRY - tablets in this case meant small lap-top type items. Not medication. Medication is something which we keep with us in hand luggage, but which we have never taken out to be inspected, as thankfully it's not in liquid form.

vbarberini
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by vbarberini »

I found this very comprehensive review (with video tour) of one of those new (remastered) QM2 balcony staterooms.
http://www.cruiseoyster.com/ship_report ... cony-room/

Thought it might be useful.
:)

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I don't know how they've done it - but last time we were on QM2 (post refit), a stateroom which we've stayed in previously felt more spacious! Not much change in the bathroom or walk-in wardrobe, but the actual 'room' itself felt bigger. The new furniture on the balcony was a big improvement too.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Boris+ wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 15:59
don't know how they've done it - but last time we were on QM2 (post refit), a stateroom which we've stayed in previously felt more spacious!
Put smaller furniture in?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

david63 wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 16:14
Boris+ wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 15:59
don't know how they've done it - but last time we were on QM2 (post refit), a stateroom which we've stayed in previously felt more spacious!
Put smaller furniture in?

Just as they do in show homes. At least on a ship they don't remove the doors-also a ploy with show homes!!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Staterooms are always bigger at the beginning of the cruise than at the end.....................

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

It felt that there was a bit more furniture, maybe it's the different colour scheme, and the positioning of stuff? Not sure, but it will be interesting to get back on QV and see if there's a difference there post-refit. On QM2 there was definitely one particular style of armchair which had been reupholstered in the suite - I took a photo and compared it with old photos, and it's the same shape and size.
Last edited by Boris+ on 17 Mar 2017, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We are on her for 40 nights next Spring, so we'll see. And 33 nights in 2019. We didn't see all cabin grades when on last year.
Last edited by GillD46 on 17 Mar 2017, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

GillD46 wrote: 17 Mar 2017, 16:04
We are on her for 40 nights next Spring, so we'll see. And 33 nights in 2019. We didn't see all cabin grades when on last year.
Are you talking QM2 or QV Gill? Our next outing with Cunard is QV - and sort of looking forward to it.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have six booked Em. QE, QV, QV this year, QM2, QM2 next year and QM2 again in 2019.
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

GillD46 wrote: 18 Mar 2017, 09:17
We have six booked Em. QE, QV, QV this year, QM2, QM2 next year and QM2 again in 2019.
Gill that sounds brilliant! We are doing some shorter fly holidays mainly for 2017; busy doing the 'Grand Designs' thing, but our next outing is QV, and by the time we get to boarding, the cruise will be much needed (and deserved, hopefully).

2018 is mainly taken up with X at the moment.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Boris+ wrote: 19 Mar 2017, 08:23
GillD46 wrote: 18 Mar 2017, 09:17
Gill that sounds brilliant! We are doing some shorter fly holidays mainly for 2017; busy doing the 'Grand Designs' thing, but our next outing is QV, and by the time we get to boarding, the cruise will be much needed (and deserved, hopefully).

2018 is mainly taken up with X at the moment.
When are you going? We're on QV 8 June and QE 8 October.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

QE in May, QV in August and December.
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hopefully QV in December for us.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I wonder if we'll get to meet finally Em?
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

GillD46 wrote: 20 Mar 2017, 12:13
I wonder if we'll get to meet finally Em?
Well, you never know - if we're on the same outing!

Return to “Cunard”