Need input about taking a trip on the MS Queen Elizabeth

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Need input about taking a trip on the MS Queen Elizabeth

Post by simeon »

The idea of taking a cruise has been something that I have wanted to do for a number of years. I have never had the resources to do it in the past, but this year is going to be very different. The fact that the cost of taking a cruise has dropped significantly compared to what it cost just a few years ago makes this the perfect idea for a holiday this year. My wife has been on a number of cruises, but I have never had the luxury.

We began our search on the internet like so many of us often do. We browsed various companies, ships, locations, and options available on different cruise lines and their ships. We still haven't decided exactly where we intend on traveling, but we did find a ton of useful information to help us make our decision. We are leaning toward doing a cruise around the Mediterranean first. However there are so many beautiful places in the world we would love to travel. It can be challenging trying to decide where to travel, what ships to travel on, and how long to travel for.

We did find a ship that we would love to take a cruise on. The MS Queen Elizabeth is an absolutely beautiful ship that we think we would like to look into. I found this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Queen_Elizabeth on Wikipedia that covers every detail one could possibly imagine about the ship.

We continued our search for more information about different options available for taking a cruise on the MS Queen Elizabeth. I found a cruise reviews website at http://cruise-reviews.co.uk/ that gives a nice run down on the ship, as well. It states that it is currently ranked as the third in the top ten luxurious cruise ships in the world. The ship appears to travel to a variety of worldwide destinations ranging from the Mediterranean to the Caribbean.

Have any of you taken a cruise on this ship before? Is it worth the investment to travel on the MS Queen Elizabeth, or can we get the same overall experience on a cheaper cruise? I am really excited about booking our cruise, but I want to try and do my research before I invest my money. As of right now we are seriously considering just doing a trip around the Mediterranean this year, and if we can afford it doing one to the Caribbean toward the end of the year or spring of next year. I am open to other ships or cruise lines, as well.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: Need input about taking a trip on the MS Queen Elizabeth

Post by JoanneB »

What you want from a cruise is very individual so it is difficult for someone else to say whetehr it is worth it for you. If this is going to be a special experience then personally I would go for the itinerary first, then the ship that you think caters best to your tastes. QE is more formal for example so if you don't like dressing for dinner try a more casual ship.

You would get a different experience on a cheaper line, but whether it would suit is down to what you are looking for. Personally we enjoyed her, very elegant good service good food, but restrained not glitzy.

there is a video on my OHs site here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hHk29y ... ture=share

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

As Joanne says a cruise is very individual to you and what you want out of it, you would not be disappointed with the QE though.

We have been on all 3 Queens and love them all, most recently we were on the QE over Xmas and New Year and can't fault it, a beautiful ship, great crew, wonderful food, lovely cabins.

There are some lovely itineraries on the QE this summer even I am tempted and usually I am not interested in a fly/cruise but I would make an exception to go back on this wonderful ship.

Ask away if you have any specific questions and I'll help if I can.
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Really enjoyed watching your video Joanne :thumbup:
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Never been on the QE ourselves but a friend who has rates her very highly.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

For us - and I don't know just what it is - not quite as nice as QV though.

Em

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Great video Joanne.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

simeon

As others have said it really is a matter of what you want from your cruise. Work out what is important and start to list in order of your needs. It varies from cruise to cruise as well.

We did our very first Cunard cruise in October on QE of which I did a report, it may help and it may not. It is in the Cunard section on here.

We were very impressed with the whole experience and would certainly do it again. Our experience has before Cunard so far has been with P&O which has amounted to quite a few sea days.

All I can say is go for it and enjoy the planning. Do let us know what you decide as it always exciting to hear from fellow travellers of their experience especially one that will be a first for you.

I am sure I 'speak' for us all on here that any questions you have feel free to ask away. I doubt there is anything that nobody on here can't help you with.

Have fun...

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Forgot to say JoanneB

Lovely video, brought back memories. I only wished I had found the Crows Nest during our cruise. As most of our cruise days were port days and so didn't really get to explore everywhere, I went for a walk around the ship on our last day and found it, by then it was too lat, never mind another time. It's a lovely ship certainly.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We think the QE a very, very lovely ship and would cruise on her again without hesitation - in fact we have a 45 night voyage on her next year.

If you've seen an itinerary on her that you like, go for it. I doubt you'll he disappointed.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

It's the jackets that put me off.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

We really enjoyed your video Joanne. So much so that we started looking at Cunard cruises for 2014 only to discover that they are all Mediterranean fly cruises. Sorry, not for us, we might as well fly to a resort.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Frank Manning wrote:
We really enjoyed your video Joanne. So much so that we started looking at Cunard cruises for 2014 only to discover that they are all Mediterranean fly cruises. Sorry, not for us, we might as well fly to a resort.
QV is doing a couple of Med cruises in 2014 Frank but as you say the QE is all fly/cruise ...very disappointing :(

Some lovely itineraries but we don't want to fly so I doubt it will be Cunard for us this summer.
Jo

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

No video but some photos of QM2 so you can sail from Southampton :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jobloor/se ... 716671704/

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Thanks Jo, we've been on QM2 but it's my least favourite of the 3 Queens, I love the Med in the summer and as I said some lovely itineraries on QE, I might change my mind and be tempted to fly although it is so long since we did I don't know how I would go on with the luggage restrictions :( :o
Jo

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Thanks Jo, we've been on QM2 but it's my least favourite of the 3 Queens, I love the Med in the summer and as I said some lovely itineraries on QE, I might change my mind and be tempted to fly although it is so long since we did I don't know how I would go on with the luggage restrictions :( :o
Easy, Mr DQ takes a lot less...simples!!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Take it easy Joanne! Mr DQ is down to his vest and underpants as it is!!! :lol:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

As Mr DQ frequently tells me he could fit everything into a carrier bag :lol: :lol:
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I have to agree - QM2 is our least favourite of the 3 queens, too. For us - and I just don't know why - it's QV first, then QE and finally QM2.

The atmosphere in QM2 just isn't the same, the layout doesn't flow - it's all disjointed.

Em

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

simeon wrote:
The idea of taking a cruise has been something that I have wanted to do for a number of years. I have never had the resources to do it in the past, but this year is going to be very different. The fact that the cost of taking a cruise has dropped significantly compared to what it cost just a few years ago makes this the perfect idea for a holiday this year.
by simeon » 13 Feb 2014 02:19 » Post Number:#4

We have been on a number of cruises to various parts of the world, but we have never gone on a river cruise of any type.

Confused :roll: just a few minutes between both posts :crazy:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Great video - what was the music?

We're going on a 4-nighter to Hamburg in January. Does anyone know how many formal nights there will be?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

There was one when we did that trip on QM2

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks, Merv. I assume it was on the first sea day?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Can't remember now. I do recall there was a bit of a stink because the original listing didn't have one at all and they got so many complaints they added it. If I remember our four day trip was the middle bit of a New York to Hamburg and return transatlantic and it was full of Yanks of Germany ancestry going back to their roots.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks for that, boss :thumbup:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “Cunard”