Cruise Review: Queen Elizabeth to Ireland, Iceland, Faroes & Orkney July 2015

Anything about Cunard cruises

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruise Review: Queen Elizabeth to Ireland, Iceland, Faroes & Orkney July 2015

Post by GillD46 »

We have also travelled in Britannia( inside and balcony) Britannia Club and the Grills with Cunard, and insides, and balconies as well as various suites with P&O. We often eat in the buffet, occasionally at breakfast but especially at lunch time and sometimes for dinner, and find the buffets on Cunard ships infinitely better than those on P&O.

Like Jo I am a picky eater and vegetarian to boot, so often find buffets easier as I can try a taste of many things.
Gill

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Cruise Review: Queen Elizabeth to Ireland, Iceland, Faroes & Orkney July 2015

Post by Silver_Shiney »

As we're now going on her for the first time in January (plus a "ship's visit" in December), I was very keen to read your report, Bobby, which was very well written and informative. Many thanks.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Good report Bobbie :thumbup:

Out of interest how do cruise prices compare with P&O, and things such as drinks.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Excellent read - Thank you
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

Stephen, we are not big drinkers, and of course it's all priced in dollars - we didn't bother to convert it as our OBC covered all our drinks. My husband likes a Strawberry Daiquiri (cocktail) and that was $7.95, with the additional service charge that was $9.14, which I've just converted on Google and it's £5.09 (£5.97 with service charge). I had a glass of wine one night which was $6.95, total with service charge $7.99 (£4.45/£5.11). I can't remember what the prices were on P&O but doesn't seem too bad.
My daily small cappuccino was $3.75/$4.31 (£2.40/ £2.76) which is quite expensive, as last September on Adonia I paid £2.00. Hubby's diet coke was $3.50/$4.03 ( £2.24/£2.58) compared to £1.95 last September.
It's difficult to comment on the price of the cruise, because there are so many different deals available. To make a fair comparison you'd have to find an identical cruise going to the same ports. We were happy with the price we paid (we booked last October) and had a nice lot of OBC, which was easily enough to cover our drinks, hubby's spin classes, a treatment in the Spa for me and still some left over to buy a polo shirt and cruise DVD! In fact, by sheer chance (I promise I wasn't counting the pennies - or cents!) our total bill was 68 cents!!!! Yes, really!
As a matter of interest, an American couple we were friendly with told us that they pay differently. Apparently they pay port charges, so the fact that we missed two ports meant they didn't pay them and were financially better off than us! Anyone else heard of that?

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks Bobbie, a really interesting comparison, cheers. :)

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

68 cents !!! Wow, you are a cheap date Bobbie :) ;)

Return to “Cunard”