Christmas on board QM2

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Christmas on board QM2

Post by Razorback »

Hi, my wife and I are boarding QM2 Southampton December 15th 2015 for a Christmas / New Year cruise. Has anyone ever experienced a Christmas on board QM2? Do we have any other Aussies travelling at the same time? Love some feedback back.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Christmas on board QM2

Post by Boris+ »

When you board the ship, which is usually on deck 2 in the Grand Lobby you'll find all the staircase with festive garlands, and usually a huge festive tree and a little grotto which In recent years has been the characters from Wind in the Willows. The main walk through to the Britannia restaurant has a festive grotto along it for children. Most of the bars etc have different coloured festive decorations.

Otherwise it's much like other ships.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hi Razorback and welcome to the forum, I can’t help you with QM2 at Xmas as the one Xmas cruise we had booked on her we had to cancel but I have spent many Xmas’s on QE2 in the Caribbean and the last four on QV and QE sadly not in the Caribbean but equally as enjoyable.

The ship will be elegantly decorated throughout and your first sight of this will be the huge Xmas tree which will be situated in the Grand Lobby where you will board.

Being a Xmas and New Year cruise there will be many seasonal themed events, there will also be the traditional Gingerbread Village which the ships chefs create and shouldn’t be missed as it is truly a work of art, this is normally situated in the Grand Lobby it might not be complete when you board but will certainly appear within a few days.

Christmas day is traditionally spent at sea you can expect to see crew wandering around offering complimentary Eggnog and of course a visit from ‘Santa’ for the children, I actually love this part of Christmas morning especially with the younger children who still believe in Father Christmas, you will find he’ll leave a gift for you too on Christmas Eve

New Year’s Eve is also a very grand affair with various activities around the ship, my favourite place tends to be the Queens Room pre Midnight and being in the Caribbean there will more than likely be an outdoor deck party into the wee small hours.

Have a wonderful time, if there is anything specific you want to know please ask.
Jo

Topic author
Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Razorback »

Thank you Boris+ & Dancing girl, we appreciate the information. With just 15 weeks to go before we leave, excitement is mounting. Do they have a passenger choir? And is it a typical roast dinner on Christmas day? How do most passengers spend New Years eve? We love the thought of dancing and Grand balls. We will have to get used to the cold as we live in the sub- tropics. Thanks again.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

They certainly do have a passenger choir, Christmas day dinner ( evening ) is the typical Christmas fare however other choices are available as you would expect.

Most passengers spend New Years Eve partying, I prefer the Queens Room, although I'm not a dancer I do like to watch others and that is usually where the Captain will make the New Year Count Down from which is also relayed into other bars and venues, I haven't been in the Caribbean on a Cunard ship for a number of years but on QE2 once New Year was seen in the partying went outside and it was quite normal for that to go on for several more hours.

We have done many TA at this time of year and it will be very cold, very different to Australia where we spent Xmas one year and it was unbelievably hot but very enjoyable, QM2 has so much to offer you certainly won't be bored with all the activities even if you are restricted to being inside for a few days the North Atlantic can be fierce but then again we have crossed and it has been like a millpond one thing for sure though QM2 rides the waves very well, if you haven't been to New York before you are in for a real treat the atmosphere at Xmas is wonderful, I don't know if Cunard still do it but they used to do a free tour for those passengers in transit so it might be worth enquiring about.
Jo

Topic author
Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Razorback »

Thank you. Can't wait! Packing bags in
anticipation

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

This is one of many videos on YouTube of Christmas on QM2

https://youtu.be/no7G2sDiqlw

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

At the very least you'll need to take santa hats with you for the carol singing.

Topic author
Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Razorback »

Thank you Joanne, Boris and Dancing Queen. It's great to know you all speak so highly of your experience with QM2. Loved the video Joanne.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Razorback wrote:
Hi, my wife and I are boarding QM2 Southampton December 15th 2015 for a Christmas / New Year cruise. Has anyone ever experienced a Christmas on board QM2? Do we have any other Aussies travelling at the same time? Love some feedback back.
Good afternoon Razorback.

Could be your lucky day as I have just popped in and spotted your question.

I have cruised the full Christmas and New Year on Queen Mary 2 and rather than relate it all here i can offer you the link to the blog I wrote of that very cruise...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... christmas/

Christmas is always something special on a cruise ship, even more so on Cunard's Flagship.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

One thing you must do is get up at the crack of sparrows to watch the sail in to New York squeezing under the Verazzona Narrow Straights Bridge and see dawn break over Manhattan. Even on a cold, drizzly morning on the open deck, it was an amazing sight.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Razorback »

Thank you for your blog on your very 'special' cruise on QM2.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Not been on here for a while and saw your question with interest. We will be partly joining you on the QM2 on 15th Dec. We sail to NY where we get off for one night and then sail on NCL for our Christmas New Year Cruise on the Norwegian Gem around the Caribbean we return to NY for another one night and re embark on the QM2 on 2 Jan to rejoin you. I am looking forward to seeing the ship decked out for the Christmas/New Year even though we will not be doing that part of the cruise.
I have taken note SilverShiny about getting up early for the sail in as the last time was later in the morning on Aurora 2013.

Topic author
Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Razorback »

Thank you melsea, you never know we may cross each others path. It's not that far away now. Is the Norwegian Gem calling on the same Caribbean ports as the QM2?

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Razorback

Funny you should mention that. On the 29th Dec both ships will be in Phillipsburg, St.Maarten. It's the only time both they will meet.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Razorback.
Welcome on board. We have had a great time on the QM2 sailing the Canaries. We continue our cruise today on her going to NY. The Christmas decorations have been on here since 3rd Dec, it's all looking very nice in deed.
You never know we might bump into each other going across the pond.
If not see you when we get back on board in January.
Melsea

Return to “Cunard”