Cunard Dress Codes and Reality

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Cunard Dress Codes and Reality

Post by Frank Manning »

I'm sorry to raise this potentially divisive topic (Not as divisive as the referendum!), but we are planning our first Cunard cruise (QM2). I am not one for swimming against the sartorial flow, in anyone's experience what really constitutes smart casual in Cunard? If you saw my earlier post about baggage, you will know that I am trying to be economical with the bags.
:crazy:
I am imagining no tee shirts, no jeans, no cargo style walking trousers etc.

Are ties prolific on jacket only nights?

I daren't get started on the ladies apparel there isn't space on the forum, but I'm pretty safe there because Sue hardly ever does dress down in public anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cunard Dress Codes and Reality

Post by Dancing Queen »

I'm sure it isn't a question you even need to ask Frank as I imagine you are 'old school' :D

Daytime .. whatever you would wear on any ship.

Evening .. I would say 70% of men do wear a tie but of course it is no longer compulsory so it really is down to personal choice, my husband does wear one but then he's 'old school' and isn't comfortable wearing an open neck shirt with a suit, I on the other hand quite like to see an open neck shirt so would never judge anyone who makes this choice, so in answer to your question either a suit or a nice sports jacket/blazer and smart trousers, I have seen men in chino type trousers whether or not they were allowed in the dining room I don't know but I would guess they are deemed acceptable as they certainly looked ok to me.

Of course there is the buffet option too where jackets do not have to worn, I'm not actually sure if any of the bars accept people not wearing them but I have seen people in the Golden Lion without one so I guess they do.

Formal .. I would say this is 95% adhered to ( although I realise this isn't a question you asked )

Ask away if there's anything else you want to know I just love passing my Cunard experiences on, you are not going to be disappointed :thumbup:
Jo

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Well thanks Jo, and you are right, I am a bit old school; suits, ties and a jacket in the restaurant at all times. But I wear Rohan or North Face cargoes quite a bit for going ashore with P&O because they hold such a lot of stuff. I am hoping they will be OK.
Sue for example, doesn't like long dresses; cocktail dress is fine for Sue, with or without a nice jacket, or shrug, and separates is Sue's norm for casual, and sometimes Rohan walking trousers.

Sue is really looking forward to Cunard, having sworn that she would never cruise again.

We were just a bit concerned that Cunard were so up market that we might get the sort of reception that cut down jeans get on a P&O black and white night.

Strange thing is, that in the days of the old British Merchant Navy, it was P&O who had the up market reputation, and were the butt of all the jokes. Cunard were hardly mentioned.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

My husband doesn't always wear a tie on informal evenings; if wearing a suit he does, if wearing a sports jacket he doesn't. On the whole the dress code is well adhered to, but you do get the rebel who decides a football shirt and shorts is suitable for a formal evening! True, I actually saw this on QE.

Tony often wears cargo trousers ashore too.

I am sure if you are used to looking neat and tidy, you'll be fine and I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. You will tell us all about it won't you?
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I've met you and Sue, Frank. You'll be fine!!!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Cargoes will be fine, Cunard really isn't as upmarket as some like to make out, my husband wears shorts from the minute we embark and even these are acceptable in the restaurant ( obviously only breakfast and lunch :lol: ) personally I don't think the passengers are any different to those on P&O but I do think people are trying other lines because P&O are not appealing as much for whatever reason.

We have made some lovely friends over the years on both lines just ordinary folk as we are, nothing posh or upmarket about us but we do know what we like and for us Cunard tick all the boxes.

Lucky you Frank you will be joining QM2 after the refit, I don't think all the cabins are being upgraded some are scheduled to be done in 2017 but all the public rooms will be so I imagine it will be looking superb.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I can't see the harm in chinos for a non formal evening on Cunard, but I think that the jacket is required. DH always takes ties and jackets - but mainly nowadays he'd like to try and get away with chinos.

I don't know how many days you are going for, I'd like to think that DH could get away with 2 evenings wear from a pair of chinos, and then 2 shirts, 1 tie and 1 jacket. Formal - we stick to that rigidly. However, on our newly booked Cunard cruise (oooops - yes, we've decided to give them another go) we might eat in a couple of nights, so as (a) to ease the packing and (b) DH doesn't like wearing a jacket for an ordinary evening meal if he can help it - afterall, we are going to be on holiday.

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Thank you for asking this question Frank, we are on our first Cunard cruise on 30th September on Queen Elizabeth and my husband has been asking me exactly the same questions. He's ok with formal, but was unsure what evening casual consisted of on Cunard. He is happy to wear a jacket but is not keen on wearing a tie every night as he finds the restaurants on board a little warm.

Regards

Lynda

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Thank you all for your comments. I had been put off QM2 because she is so big but when I looked carefully I discovered that she carries fewer passengers than Arcadia, which we were comfortable with when virtually full. We just didn't want to look out of place.

Of course when we decided to cruise with OBF last year we knew that there would be high standards to be maintained. I think my colourful bow ties will be getting an airing OBF!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

If I remember correctly dress codes were very similar to P&O but on a 14 night cruise there were more formal nights than P&O and a jacket was required for smart casual nights (but not necessarily a tie).

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote:
I can't see the harm in chinos for a non formal evening on Cunard, but I think that the jacket is required. DH always takes ties and jackets - but mainly nowadays he'd like to try and get away with chinos.

I don't know how many days you are going for, I'd like to think that DH could get away with 2 evenings wear from a pair of chinos, and then 2 shirts, 1 tie and 1 jacket. Formal - we stick to that rigidly. However, on our newly booked Cunard cruise (oooops - yes, we've decided to give them another go) we might eat in a couple of nights, so as (a) to ease the packing and (b) DH doesn't like wearing a jacket for an ordinary evening meal if he can help it - afterall, we are going to be on holiday.
Well done Boris, you mentioned the 'Festive Season' the other day, might see you on board :D
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Lynda and David wrote:
Thank you for asking this question Frank, we are on our first Cunard cruise on 30th September on Queen Elizabeth and my husband has been asking me exactly the same questions. He's ok with formal, but was unsure what evening casual consisted of on Cunard. He is happy to wear a jacket but is not keen on wearing a tie every night as he finds the restaurants on board a little warm.

Regards

Lynda
We always thought that the restaurants on Cunard were well organised in terms of controlling the temperature - and any strong sunlight too.

Moving on to responding another post - somebody 'didn't want to look out of place' - over the years we've seen a couple wearing a dj and a cocktail dress at embarkation, passengers trying to get in to restaurants in baggy shorts, loud patterned shirts and cowboy hats festooned with corks - what a combination! So no, I think you won't look out of place - and have a great time.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Jo,

Maybe - but more likely than not it will be maybe not. We don't go out and about much on the ship, and as I think you mentioned you enjoy the shows and the evening life it's not all that likely. Nevermind. Have a good time.

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

It may be our last cruise if Brexit wins and the bottom falls out of my share portfolio!!! Also the price will go up if sterling crashes!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Everything said so far is spot on in our recent experience on QM2. We had three formals in seven nights which were well observed. I did see the odd rebel but not in the main dining areas or bars. Cunard specify the dress code applies in the select dining venues too. Plenty of people were tie-less on the informal evenings so no one was out of place with or without a tie. And during the day was no different from P&O. Have a great trip.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Not just the odd rebel Merv, I love the TA's because you seem to get your fair share of 'eccentrics' on them too ( usually Americans :crazy: )

Years ago on QE2 on our first sail in to New York we were up very early to experience it ( no balcony viewing in those days they were very few and far between ) the deck was crowded but one man stood out in particular because of his dress I kid you not he looked like something out of a Dickens novel, morning suit with tails, top hat etc he obviously liked to dress for the occasion whatever that was :roll:

Then there was the lady who used to join the Xmas cruise in Miami every year, as you disembarked you couldn't miss her waiting to embark, dressed from head to toe in bright red with luggage to match and carrying her 'pet dog' ( also attired in Xmas dress ) it wasn't a real dog but I think she thought it was, totally bonkers but no harm in her.

Oh and not forgetting Miss Bloomingdale ( yes she was part of the famous family ) a very very attractive lady who always looked stunning when she was dancing the night away in the Queens room however you wouldn't think that if you saw her waiting to embark in New York she would be huddled in a wheelchair wearing dark glasses ( this is in December ) a scarf draped over her head and looking about 90 .. what a transformation a few hours later but she obviously knew how she could fast track boarding.

Sorry, I've gone way off topic but there are so many stories I could tell especially about QE2.
Jo

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Not too far off topic, DQ. If you find you need help and advice on that - Merv and me are always happy to help !!

This talk of dress codes on Cunard seems right up my street - I think I'd fit in well! On P&O I tend to wear either a waistcoat and tie or jacket and tie most casual nights. Mrs C and I still have our own "semi-formal" nights even though the official code has been dropped.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Naughty Boys :lolno:

I'm sure you would fit in as the majority do :thumbup: I don't do casual either, I haven't accumulated all the dressy clothes I have not to wear them besides which we rarely have an occasion at home to dress up these days so for me it's nice to do something different for a couple of weeks, others can do what they want just as I will :clap:
Jo

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Naughty Boys :lolno:

I'm sure you would fit in as the majority do :thumbup: I don't do casual either, I haven't accumulated all the dressy clothes I have not to wear them besides which we rarely have an occasion at home to dress up these days so for me it's nice to do something different for a couple of weeks, others can do what they want just as I will :clap:
Hmmmm! :shifty:

The screens, Nurse !

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

On our first TA on QM2, we saw, one formal night, a chap come into the Kings Court around midnight wearing a Cunard dressing gown and hobnail boots....

For the non-formal nights, Frank, I wear smart trousers and a blazer, always with a tie (I don't feel right wearing any sort or jacket without a tie).
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

I agree about the tie with a jacket or blazer. I really like bow ties, but haven't always got the nerve to wear them. I suppose if I did it every day and people were used to it I wouldn't mind. Thanks for the advice anyway, we are looking forward to seeing QM2 close up, we may go down to Hythe to watch her sail out before our cruise.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Frank Manning wrote:
I agree about the tie with a jacket or blazer. I really like bow ties, but haven't always got the nerve to wear them. I suppose if I did it every day and people were used to it I wouldn't mind. Thanks for the advice anyway, we are looking forward to seeing QM2 close up, we may go down to Hythe to watch her sail out before our cruise.
Stick with me Frank - I wear a bow tie every night regardless of dress code (sadly I won't be on QM2 though) !

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

qbman1 wrote:
Stick with me Frank - I wear a bow tie every night regardless of dress code
Is that the one that rotates like a propeller and squirts water in your face?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

You're confusing me with CoCo the Clown !

I do have one with red flashing lights for Christmas, though !! Goes down well at the Christmas Eve deck party.

Return to “Cunard”