Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Cunard Room Service

Post by Lynda and David »

Hello everyone

We're off on our first Cunard cruise on Friday on Queen Elizabeth. Does anyone know if we have to tip the room service steward everytime we order a tray of tea in our cabin? We always tip when if we have room service on P&O but if we order 2 or 3 trays of tea each day on Cunard we need to make sure we have enough change with us.

Many thanks

Lynda

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cunard Room Service

Post by GillD46 »

A tip is not expected but always welcome. We don't tend to order beverages so I can't speak from experience I'm afraid, but if you wanted to tip, for just a tea tray I would think any tip would only need to be very minimal.

Enjoy QE, she's a beautiful, classy ship, as are all the Cunard ships.
Gill

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

During our one experience on QM we did not tip room service, and I did not see any sign that it was expected. I cant speak for QE, but we had tea and coffee making facilities in the room on QM.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Since the introduction of auto tips, which the bumph says reward everyone who looks after you, we don't tip anyone. Seemples.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Tip tip tip tip tip tip. It drives me mad.
Here's a tip, do the job you are being paid for. If you don't like it do something else.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Frank Manning wrote:
During our one experience on QM we did not tip room service, and I did not see any sign that it was expected. I cant speak for QE, but we had tea and coffee making facilities in the room on QM.
No in-cabin tea/coffee facilities on QE yet Frank

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

QE and QV will have beverage trays after their next refits.
Gill

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

I have not yet worked out how you tip for the delivery of morning tea. Someone brings the tray in, puts it down on the table and leaves the cabin immediately. Apart from your standing in front of the door in your night clothes, tipping is impossible! In all the cruises I have done, no tea tray bringer has ever stayed long enough in the cabin to receive a tip whatever time of day.
Jay

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

And in that case what would you tip? Price of a cup of tea, say, £1.80.

10% tip = 18p

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:

10% tip = 18p
Thanks Mervyn, we're going to do what you do and leave the autotips in place and not tip any extra unless someone goes out of their way to help us with something.

Regards

Lynda

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Lynda and David wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

10% tip = 18p
Thanks Mervyn, we're going to do what you do and leave the autotips in place and not tip any extra unless someone goes out of their way to help us with something.

Regards

Lynda
:thumbup:

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Interestingly, every time we bought a drink on QM there was an additional service charge, AND a space labelled Gratuity. I think OBF will vouch that I am not mean, but I object to them having a third bite at the cherry. We paid £368 in auto service deductions and I think that is enough for service which was OK but not outstanding.

Yesterday I took an old friend out for lunch in nice hotel in Poole. It has a superb view, but the food was no better than OK. We waited nearly 40 minutes between placing our order and receiving two soup of the day starters. When they presented the bill it had a 10% service charge....they are off my list of meal venues, view or no view.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We used to always go with the auto-tip option, and then when and if somebody excelled then a tip was given. Next time we go on Cunard, I've got a mind to go to the Purser at the start of the cruise and withdraw the auto-tip until we are happy that it's deserved.

Might go down like a lead balloon - but I'm not in the market for auto-tipping people who don't provide a satisfactory service level.

Return to “Cunard”