Celebrity 2 day Taster Cruise 7-9th May 2015

Anything about Celebrity cruises

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Celebrity 2 day Taster Cruise 7-9th May 2015

Post by GillD46 »

Yes, I must admit that when we boarded QV and went to the QG for lunch, it was such a relief, a feeling of going home. And of course they look after us so very, very well in the restaurant. Although it must be said, I only twice asked for something off menu as the main menu - and the a la carte of course - were so fantastic.

What was noticeable was the improvement in evening entertainment, which was really excellent. We have three booked next year, one on QM2 and two on QV and I am very happy to continue that way.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Gill

I'm glad in a way that you are in a position of 'the jury is still out' and not dismissing X from your list. We haven't come across the sort of behaviour in Luminae that you mentioned from other passengers - maybe that was because it was a 2 nighter 'bargain weekend'. We have frequently had vegetarian preference people on tables next to ours, and they've always been attended to promptly. I think the entire Luminae situation for you may have been due to the brevity of the cruise.

eanwhile, yes, Qsine can be a minefield of choices, and we quite often order a bit too much. However, we are 'still learning' and are determined to do better in Qsine on our next cruise.

It's a case of horses for courses I suppose, but we quite like the dimmed lighting effect in some parts of the ship. We also like the ability to take whichever table is available when we walk into Luminae, instead of the almost rigid (as we always found it) sticking to the same table in the QG restaurant.

We've done one visit to the theatre on Eclipse, but it wasn't our 'cup of tea' - but I think that we just like being quiet in our suite and completely chilling out.

For you, going C is like 'going home' - for us ..... well, we wouldn't even get as far as actually completing the booking online! It is purely a personal preference - and I can't stress that enough. I can live with that - but I do hope you might just give X a chance on a longer outing. Who was your waiter in Luminae - we've always got on well with the waiters, especially 'Capt' Kirk - he never lets an opportunity to excel go by.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I can't remember their names, three times we had a French girl from Lyon, and the others I really can't remember, though I do remember one man wore a business suit. They were very nice and professional, but service from the galley was REALLY REALLY slow. We waited almost an hour between Amuse Bouche and starter. Even after asking very politely if it would be much longer, we had profuse apologies but it still took almost an hour. Not acceptable. But the main gripe was the intransigence regarding a vegetarian diet. Yes perhaps it would be better on a longer cruise - I suspect it would - but would it offer enough choice?
I'm really not sure I am prepared to spend many thousands of pounds to find it doesn't.

We'll bear them in mind in future, but we certainly won't be rushing to book.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill, On CC they report that Luminae diners can also order anything from the MDR menu as well as their own menu, so that should give you improved choice. However I am surprised they did not meet your dietary needs, in the MDR on Eclipse those having special diets seem very well catered for with the Rest. manager or one of the head waiters providing very special service.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I did ask about the main restaurant menu and was told sorry no! There was ONE vegetarian dish, so I managed, but there was no choice. Cunard offer three dishes on most nights, ALWAYS two. But even Tony was disappointed with such a limited menu - and he eats most things.

It may well have been reduced because it was a two nighter, but do we want to take that chance?
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Gill,

I respect your opinions, and accept completely that you have reported things - as you found them on your 2 nighter. Initially when we first did a Celebrity cruise, I was busy doubting that the Luminae menu as displayed on X website was the way it would be, as it seemed so short, especially when compared to the volume that is provided in QG on Cunard. Our first knee-jerk reaction was almost 'shock horror', when we discovered the brevity of the actual Luminae menu - what was shown on the website is pretty much accurate. However, the menu for each day does change, and our experience is that as DH is a fussy eater they are more than happy to provide items from other venue menus.

The only time that we can say that the service was a bit slow was on our first dinner (embarkation day) on this recent cruise, but honestly and truthfully after that it got back to the usual nicely paced sort of situation.

So, now we've got used to the Luminae menu and quite often have a look at the various menus on display in Michael's when we are having a pre-dining drink to plan ahead what we'll order, and from which menu. We really like the other dining venues, and are truly looking forward to our next cruise with X. We also liked having afternoon tea in our suite - it's a personal thing, but after a long day ashore, it's nice to sit and download photos and completely relax with a nice afternoon tea away from the hustle and bustle and put our feet up.

Enjoy all your forthcoming cruises, go safely and return happy.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

To quote an old chestnut " you only get one chance to make a first impression" - but never say never.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

GillD46 wrote:
To quote an old chestnut " you only get one chance to make a first impression" - but never say never.
Hi Gill,

Well, how right you are - 'never say never'. I can remember all too clearly (and no, this is not a post which is C-bashing), our very first C cruise - and it was a lash-up in a saucepan from start to finish! I do know that when we left the ship at the end of our first C cruise I vowed never to sail with them again; and it took a lot of careful thought before we decided to proceed with the reservation which we already had in place for another C cruise.

The second outing was much better than the first, and we went on from there to continue to cruise with C. Then things changed, and now we book with other cruise lines. We are happily content to give other cruise lines more than one chance to make a first impression, simply because the experience of being on a ship can be influenced by so many factors, and some (like your unruly people in the dining room) are mostly beyond the control.

However, glad you didn't completely rule X out, but equally glad that you had a great time on your C cruise, and that you are safely home again.

Return to “Celebrity”