No more luggage labels being sent by post by Celebrity Cruises.

Anything about Celebrity cruises

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

No more luggage labels being sent by post by Celebrity Cruises.

Post by Boris+ »

Just a bit of advance 'warning' to anyone with Celebrity Cruises on the horizon. It appears that they are no longer posting out luggage labels - the long narrow sort which you put around the handle on your suitcase and with your personal details on and sticky sections to stick the labels together.

They have offered to print out on ordinary paper and post those to people, but then you have to either fold and use sticky tape or staples (what, bare paper in the UK weather????) or get clear plastic luggage label holders to put them in, and then attach that to your luggage.

They are also saying that passengers can find a porter when they arrive at the terminal (City probably if you are sailing ex UK), and then you have to show your documents to get labels from the porters - but I personally would rather make sure that I've got it sorted properly before getting to the terminal. I don't fancy having the 'services' of very busy porters here in the UK (or heaven forbid foreign porters overseas who don't understand what I'm saying), and in the UK, I don't really fancy mincing around looking for a porter in poor weather at Southampton!

Hope this helps someone.

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Re: No more luggage labels being sent by post by Celebrity Cruises.

Post by The Tinker »

Always seems a backward step to me - surely embarkation and disembarkation takes longer when they have to look at people's homemade labels!

And printing and posting a paper one is just as expensive in the long run!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Another example of penny pinching and cost cutting by P&O

That's the final straw for me , I'm off to AN Other cruise line.

Oh, but hang on, they're all at it ;)

One thing ALL cruise lines have in common is if you take a look at the forums for any given Line, you will find someone saying that it's not like it was.
That is because there is nothing as constant as change.

I appreciate that you are not moaning Em, and simply pointing out to others, but the Celebrity forum will be in meltdown any moment. :lol:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Calamity dumbing down! Whatever next?

Of course they'll claim it's environmentally friendly. No it isn't! Mass printing of decent quality labels is far more green than us all bug*ering about with home printers, staples and sticky back plastic.

Just wait for the first industrial accident and compo claim when a baggage handler pricks his finger on someone's staple!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Surely ' one ' can print luggage labels out from ' one's ' Account along with the Sea Pass etc .... why are they offering to post it ?

ps ... we have been doing this with various holiday operators for years, I get them laminated at the local photo shop.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

You can of course print your own and we have done that on both Celebrity and P&O, and found them to be quite strong.
Not sure where Boris stores her luggage if she is worried about paper ones getting wet in the UK, Merv if you staple the 2 ends together as I do, then the staples are well clear of the handle.
Oh and by the way both P&O and Celebrity have said they were going to stop sending out labels several times in the past, only to back down in the end, a bit like their embarkation time slots really.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
Surely ' one ' can print luggage labels out from ' one's ' Account along with the Sea Pass etc .... why are they offering to post it ?

ps ... we have been doing this with various holiday operators for years, I get them laminated at the local photo shop.

I suspect for the poor old duffers who don't possess or have access to a pc !

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

qbman1 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

I suspect for the poor old duffers who don't possess or have access to a pc !
I was responding to EM who obviously does have a PC :roll:

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

One can print from the Cruise Personaliser (if it opens!) or Sea Pass but surely why should we? - reduces our carbon footprint maybe - sure that is negligible? I always request blank luggage labels from the operator I have booked with - nice and strong - cost me nothing - advertises for the cruise holiday company.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

The Tinker wrote:
One can print from the Cruise Personaliser (if it opens!) or Sea Pass but surely why should we? - reduces our carbon footprint maybe - sure that is negligible? I always request blank luggage labels from the operator I have booked with - nice and strong - cost me nothing - advertises for the cruise holiday company.
Have you used only your TA's labels on a cruise Tinks, and did your luggage reach your stateroom?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

towny44 wrote:
The Tinker wrote:
Have you used only your TA's labels on a cruise Tinks, and did your luggage reach your stateroom?
Never had a problem yet (hope I'm not tempting fate!). The majority of time we use the travel company (ex Southampton) luggage labels or occasionally P&O if we book a select offer and they come in the back of the travel book. Cant remember what we did for a fly cruise - long time since I have flown (OH hates flying).

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

The Tinker wrote:
I don't think it helps the carbon thingey one bit. Home printing is far more costly and less efficient than commercial. It's just a ruse to make us pay for the ink, not them! Ruined my life this has. Not that I had any plans to go on Calamity again anyway but I still want compo. :sarcasm:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

With a Fly Cruise it is best to put the Cruise Line's labels on after reaching Baggage Reclaim at the destination .... unless P&O etc are doing a delivery from Airport check-in to cabin type service.

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Manoverboard wrote:
With a Fly Cruise it is best to put the Cruise Line's labels on after reaching Baggage Reclaim at the destination .... unless P&O etc are doing a delivery from Airport check-in to cabin type service.
For our next Fly Cruise we think we've got an hotel between the flight and the embarkation, so maybe I'll do the usual thing and put the ship labels on as soon as (hopefully) we get bags after the flight, but I think I might just make additional labels with the hotel details too.

When I do labels, I always put a mobile number on (a bit like we used to do for the Cunard labels).

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Manoverboard wrote:

Hello just read Boris+’s post (and Manoverboard's reply) about Celebrity not sending luggage labels by post. We’re sailing on Celebrity Eclipse this coming Saturday. To cut a long story short, 3 weeks ago I went on-line and checked us in and printed off our Xpress Pass, all ok apart from the fact that our luggage labels weren’t loaded on the system for me to print them off as well. A little strange I thought but I left it and today went back on line assuming that the luggage labels would be there for me to print. Silly me for assuming, the message I got today was ‘your luggage labels will be available for you to print 2 months prior to departure please check back later’. This meant this afternoon I had to chase Celebrity to e-mail us our luggage labels and also our Guest Ticket Booklet which they ask us to print off and take with us on the cruise. Moral of the story is if you are sailing with Celebrity as soon as you get your e-mail saying you can check-in on line, do it and if anything is missing phone them straight away.

Regards

Lynda

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We are on Celebrity on May 8th. A short two nighter and our first foray into the Celebrity brand. Our paperwork, including baggage labels, was there all ready for printing several weeks ago, but nobody else I know on the same cruise, and there are a LOT I know on it, had baggage labels on their on-line account apparently.

They all seemed to get them sent either by their TA or by Celebrity themselves. So I don't understand why ours were there then - and are still there!

I have to say SO FAR, I have been less than impressed with Celebrity!
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I'm glad that everyone seems to have got their paperwork and luggage labels all sorted out. For us it was a situation of getting used to a slightly different way of doing stuff. Nowadays, we know that as soon as we've paid up the final balance we print out our Xpress Pass, and then we wait for the Cruise Booklet - print it out etc., and that includes the luggage labels.

Hoping that everyone has a lovely time - it would have been nice to try and have a coffee in Southampton, Gill - however I reckon that you are going to be a bit preoccupied, but I wish you a smooth disembarkation and check-in on that day.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

GillD46 wrote:
We are on Celebrity on May 8th. A short two nighter and our first foray into the Celebrity brand. Our paperwork, including baggage labels, was there all ready for printing several weeks ago, but nobody else I know on the same cruise, and there are a LOT I know on it, had baggage labels on their on-line account apparently.

They all seemed to get them sent either by their TA or by Celebrity themselves. So I don't understand why ours were there then - and are still there!

If you logon to your Account it will invite you to print off your luggage labels but if you try to it will then tell you that they are not available until payment has been made in full, even if one's payment has been made in full.

North American passengers can, I have been advised, use this system but Brits cannot ... the barcoded luggage labels will be provided by the TA along with the e-ticket .... allegedly.

I deffo agree with you regarding Celebrity's admin and booking procedures ... :thumbdown: .

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

All part of the excellent service they'll tell you about regularly once on board!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

as a slight aside but not off topic, for our upcoming boat trip, we have so received a pre cruise booklet, explaining all the dress codes, excursions, drinks packages , parking and embarkation procedures
then another letter confirming our upgrade along 4 luggage labels, all colour coded with details of our boarding time plus parking voucher for the car plus a very nice letter detailing all the paperwork we need to take with us and asking us to contact CMV should we need anymore help
all in all very comprehensive and a far cry from cheap companies who won't even send out luggage labels ;-)
Nihil Obstat

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Good old P&O still do all that !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Dark Knight wrote:
as a slight aside but not off topic, for our upcoming boat trip, we have so received a pre cruise booklet, explaining all the dress codes, excursions, drinks packages , parking and embarkation procedures
then another letter confirming our upgrade along 4 luggage labels, all colour coded with details of our boarding time plus parking voucher for the car plus a very nice letter detailing all the paperwork we need to take with us and asking us to contact CMV should we need anymore help
all in all very comprehensive and a far cry from cheap companies who won't even send out luggage labels ;-)
Did they tell you to sew your name into your clothes in case they get mixed up with the other inmates?

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

for the last time, its NOT a pile it cheap cruise, so none of that Butlins at sea malarkey for us, we leave that to the social climbing TBM's
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Social climbing? It's as much as we can do to cling on.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Manoverboard wrote:
GillD46 wrote:

If you logon to your Account it will invite you to print off your luggage labels but if you try to it will then tell you that they are not available until payment has been made in full, even if one's payment has been made in full.

North American passengers can, I have been advised, use this system but Brits cannot ... the barcoded luggage labels will be provided by the TA along with the e-ticket .... allegedly.

I deffo agree with you regarding Celebrity's admin and booking procedures ... :thumbdown: .
But ours printed off perfectly, plus we were sent a booklet with labels in.
Gill

Return to “Celebrity”