The Fjords on Eclipse

Anything about Celebrity cruises

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

The Fjords on Eclipse

Post by Stephen »

April or August to visit Fjords, which is best?

Does Celebrity/Eclipe do freedom dining, and are their club dining times different to P&O?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: The Fjords on Eclipse

Post by qbman1 »

FK will be able to help you with the Calamity queries as he is their paid stooge on here

It is really the luck of the draw with the weather in't Fjords. We have been in June (once) and July (twice) and have generally had pretty good weather, although you are bound to get the odd misty, damp day. We have been up on the Briksdal glacier in shorts and t-shirts at the beginning of July. I would have thought April is a bit risky and it will still be quite wintry up there so, given a choice of just the two dates, I would go for August.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

April the cold v August the kids....Mmmm.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote:
April the cold v August the kids....Mmmm.
Cannot say categorically - but I would not expect too many kids on a Fjords cruise (but I could be wrong)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen, The fixed dining times on our last Celebrity cruise were 6:00 pm and 8:30, Freedom, or Select dining as X call it, is 5:45 - 9:00pm.
On Eclipse club dining is all on deck 3 the lower main dining area, but with only one entrance, the other having been taken over by Luminae Suite dining, which can lead to queuing, especially for MDR breakfast where deck 3 is the only one used.
Select dining is on deck 4, the upper dining room and there are 2 entrances one for each side, this is also used for MDR lunch dining, but it is not available every day.
I have to agree with Cubie that August is probably better than April, but the X sailings in 2017 are 29th April which is almost May and 26th August, nearly Sept.
The Eclipse fjords cruise is 8 nights so you do get 5 ports vs P&O's normal 4, and RCI have installed a floating dock in Geiranger so on their ships, which include Celebrity, you do get to walk off rather than be tendered. However the only time we have been there the clouds rolled down the fjord sides obscuring your views and it poured down all day, and that was July and the entire time in the fjords was pretty cool as well.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We had an email through from Cruise Kings this morning listing some Celebrity cruises, and the 8 night Fjords one on Eclipse took our fancy. Free booze and balcony upgrade. Still pricey though for just 8 nights, but I think the Fjords cruises always are.
The problem is the are some P&O Strictly theme cruises as well next year that look good. Decisions decisions.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote:
Stephen, The fixed dining times on our last Celebrity cruise were 6:00 pm and 8:30, Freedom, or Select dining as X call it, is 5:45 - 9:00pm.
On Eclipse club dining is all on deck 3 the lower main dining area, but with only one entrance, the other having been taken over by Luminae Suite dining, which can lead to queuing, especially for MDR breakfast where deck 3 is the only one used.
Select dining is on deck 4, the upper dining room and there are 2 entrances one for each side, this is also used for MDR lunch dining, but it is not available every day.
I have to agree with Cubie that August is probably better than April, but the X sailings in 2017 are 29th April which is almost May and 26th August, nearly Sept.
The Eclipse fjords cruise is 8 nights so you do get 5 ports vs P&O's normal 4, and RCI have installed a floating dock in Geiranger so on their ships, which include Celebrity, you do get to walk off rather than be tendered. However the only time we have been there the clouds rolled down the fjord sides obscuring your views and it poured down all day, and that was July and the entire time in the fjords was pretty cool as well.

Thanks for the info John.

Just pot luck weather wise. Anyway, nothing is set in stone yet regarding a booking. It just took our fancy and is somewhere we would quite like to go, and it's a ship we have never been on but have heard good reports from friends who have.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we went to the Ffords in june this year on arcadia and had 26c most days only 2 misty rainy days out of 14 nights my cousin did the following cruise also to the Ffords and said the weather was wonderful every day of there cruise but staff on board told us it had been awful weather up to a week before our cruise.
graham

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Stephen wrote:

Does Celebrity/Eclipe do freedom dining, and are their club dining times different to P&O?
I don't know about the freedom dining thing in X because we've always either been in Luminae or the various different restaurants, and we've always had the times we've asked for in those.

However, we've done visits to the Fjords in all sorts of months, from April to August - and we've just been plain lucky (or happy-go-lucky), and always seem to have been just plain lucky with weather - except for Bergen where we've almost always got a bit wet; but then we try not to 'mind' the weather.

Would we go back to the Fjords on X - yes, in a heartbeat, although I think that Eclipse is now being replaced with Silhouette (same class, a couple of small differences, but still a lovely ship).

Have a great cruise.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Boris+ wrote:
Stephen wrote:

I don't know about the freedom dining thing in X because we've always either been in Luminae or the various different restaurants, and we've always had the times we've asked for in those.

However, we've done visits to the Fjords in all sorts of months, from April to August - and we've just been plain lucky (or happy-go-lucky), and always seem to have been just plain lucky with weather - except for Bergen where we've almost always got a bit wet; but then we try not to 'mind' the weather.

Would we go back to the Fjords on X - yes, in a heartbeat,although I think that Eclipse is now being replaced with Silhouette(same class, a couple of small differences, but still a lovely ship).

Have a great cruise.
But not until 2018 Boris+, Stephen is considering a cruise in 2017 which will still be on the Eclipse.
John

Big Bob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Big Bob »

Go for it. In every way Celebrity is superb - food, ship cleanliness, happy crew and overall service. No check in times just turn up. It is a different world where the customer is put first.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We have been to the fjords and Iceland in June (I think it started on the 9th) and the weather was very cold and wet. It was nice until after Reykjavik then rain every day! Berksdal(?) Glacier was like winter but we walked up anyway, we did have rain jackets. Still we got some lovely photos. I would go back and hope for better weather,have to convince my husband though:) Just make sure to pack for all types of weather!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Big Bob wrote:
Go for it. In every way Celebrity is superb - food, ship cleanliness, happy crew and overall service. No check in times just turn up. It is a different world where the customer is put first.
Are you taking note Merv? 8-) :lol:
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I presume we are still allowed a personal preference ?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
I presume we are still allowed a personal preference ?
Not when its unreasonable and unsubstantiated, especially from Azura's poster boy. :sarcasm: 8-)
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

My poor Calamity experience was told as it happened Towny. It may be we were unlucky with our cruise but you only get one chance to make a first impression and Calamity blew it. Plenty of other choices for us ta.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

towny44 wrote:
Boris+ wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Would we go back to the Fjords on X - yes, in a heartbeat,although I think that Eclipse is now being replaced with Silhouette(same class, a couple of small differences, but still a lovely ship).

Have a great cruise.
But not until 2018 Boris+, Stephen is considering a cruise in 2017 which will still be on the Eclipse.
Oops - sorry - if you're going in 2017 it's a no-brainer, I'd go with Celeb anytime! Sorry about the mistake - mostly unpacked now, xmas tree up, cards just done, but brain still packed in a box somewhere which I haven't unpacked yet!

Return to “Celebrity”