Alaska dress code

Anything about Princess cruises

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Alaska dress code

Post by sunseeker16 »

I have the feeling that 10 days to Alaska out of San Francisco, presumably with a preponderance of North Americans, will be fairly relaxed wrt dress codes?

Has anyone any recent experience/advice

Footloose
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Alaska dress code

Post by Footloose »

Hello sun seeker, I have rejoined this forum because I wanted to reply to you. We did an Alaskan cruise -our first as it happened- a few years ago and yes, the dress code was super relaxed. Most folk were wearing tidy daywear. This suited us at the time because our cruise came at the end of a ten day tour of the Rockies, and posh frocks might not have travelled well. However there were a few people in our travelling group who had cruised previously with Fred Olsen, and did dress formally every evening. They took delight in telling everyone who would listen that "this is not a proper cruise of course because of the relaxed dress code!!" That said, we loved Alaska (on NCL Sun) and have been on nine cruises with P & O since then.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

We have done two Alaska cruises HAL & Princess on both there was about a 50/50 split between fairly relaxed and keeping to the dress code. There were formal evenings and these were mainly adhered to in some fashion men wore jackets if not DJs for example.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

It does depend on who you sail with. W did it with Princess on a 7-ighter and there were 2 formal nights and 5 casual, though some of the Americans interpreted the latter as gardening clothes. One bloke wore dungarees (looked like the same ones!) all week.

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Thanks everyone - particularly Footloose for going to the trouble of rejoining the forum! You'll have to enjoy yourself now you're here.

We have already decided what we will pack/take and your replies have confirmed that a slightly relaxed version of 'formal' will be fine. Sadly neither of us have dungarees :)

Not long now ... Woo Hoo

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Alaska, sunseeker? Guess you'll have to change your name and picture! :)

Have a great time, though. Alaska was our first cruise, with NCL, and we loved it, despite the Americans and their interpretation of the dress code.

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Thanks! I'm def not changing my board name and I rather like my bahing beauties avatar. Hopefully we might see a bit of sun in Alaska, though I must say we're packing plenty of waterproofs

I'm sure we will have a great time and I'm not one who bothers too much about what other people are or are not wearing, so not even dungarees will upset me

Footloose
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Footloose »

Depends when you're going. We went in June and apart from around Lake Louise on our tour -pre cruise - we were in t shirts and cotton slacks. Have photos of Mr Foot in Alaska in shorts having breakfast on deck. No waterproofs were required at all. We're already making plans to repeat this particular holiday as it was one of our top ones.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

American cruises tend to be more relaxed about dress code. On our last Caribbean cruise on a princess ship I would say about 25% of the men had dinner jackets. Most wore suits.

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

We don't go till early September so will have to take pot-luck with the weather. I've heard good and bad reports so I guess it's just the luck of the draw

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Rather belatedly, :oops: I thought I should return to confirm everything said about the dress code. Some folk wore the full penguin, some smart jackets, some 'evening casual' and some (only a few) were downright scruffs! I'm not terribly bothered about how other people dress but if you are a stickler for the whole nine yards it might not suit. I must say the relaxed atmosphere meant that everyone should have been able to feel comfortable whatever they chose to wear.

The whole trip was fantastic. 4 days in San Francisco, 10 on Golden Pncess. The weather was good. I have done a very long illustrated blog on a general forum I frequent. Here is a link if you'd like to read all my prattling but it's a closed forum, like this one, so you will need to sign up first
My blog/review http://www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/forum/i ... ic=29773.0
It might be interesting reading for anyone contemplating Alaska
One thing I will say for Princess is that the excursions were fantastic - a huge range, giving something for everyone and good value for money.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Glad you enjoyed it. We loved our Alaska cruise last year, also on Princess

Return to “Princess”