Royal Princess

Anything about Princess cruises

Topic author
Esprit
Third Officer
Third Officer

Royal Princess

Post by Esprit »

We've received an invitation to view the ship with a 4 hour tour and lunch.

A choice of three dates has been offered so we propose to do the mid week tour. Recommendations for a hotel in Southampton to stay the night before near to the dock would be much appreciated.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Royal Princess

Post by GillD46 »

The De Vere Grand Harbour.
Gill

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

I notice that The Grand Harbour is no longer part of the De Vere group. I wonder whether that will affect it's popularity.
Angela

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Holiday Planner wrote:
I notice that The Grand Harbour is no longer part of the De Vere group. I wonder whether that will affect it's popularity.
I doubt it as it is so central, I've just done a bit of googling, the De Vere are still acting as agents for bookings but no mention of who has taken it over.
Jo

Topic author
Esprit
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Esprit »

Thanks Gill for the recommendation.

On reading the small print of the invitation we have to wait to see if we have been lucky in the ballot so no point in booking a hotel just yet.

Has anybody else had the invite? It looks like its based on our Captains Circle membership rather than our shareholding

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Yes, we had an invitation to apply for 1 of 3 dates in June, we are hoping but not holding our breath! All applicants will be notified by the end of April. We are Elite with Princess but don't know if this has any relevance, but fingers crossed!! Doreen

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

The postman has just delivered a letter from Princess confirming that our application has been successful for the ships tour and lunch onboard Royal Princess on Tuesday 11th June. How exciting is that!!

Topic author
Esprit
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Esprit »

At last!

Our application has been accepted and we get to tour the ship on 12 June.

Strangely, we are also visiting Ryndam the weekend before and have a tour aboard Constellation on 19 May when they both get to Dover.

Might just buy a lottery ticket tonight as my luck seems to be in!

Topic author
Esprit
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Esprit »

We did our tour of Royal Princess yesterday and I'm pleased to say it has the "wow" factor I thought I'd never see again after a number of different cruises.

The ship is just stunning. Highlights are the atrium, open decks (particularly the forward pool and sanctuary just beyond) and of course "Skywalkers". That really gives you a birds eye view of the cabins but I'm not sure I want one of those cabins as you are very exposed!

We dined in the Symphony restaurant and it was one of the best ship restaurants I have been in.

Now for the bad news! The balcony cabins are tiny (as are the balconies themselves). You'd have to go for a delux balcony or mini suite to get a cabin of the size more familiar on other Princess ships.

Our favourite bar has been the Wheelhouse bar because of the dance floor. On Royal Princess the dance floor has gone. In fact the only place where there is a floor large enough for ballroom dancing is in the Atrium. The night club (Club 6) looks great but the floor is only suitable for "dancing 'round your handbags".

There is no real promenade deck. Just access areas with some loungers. Where the life boats are positioned there are narrow walk ways but these are for crew only.

Despite the negatives it is definitely a ship I will cruise on soon

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

I've just watched the Duchess of Cambridge naming the new ship. It sounds wonderful, shame about the lack of a good prom deck, still I hope I'll be able to sail on her one day.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Just seen a report on the BBC South local news.

For a large ship I think she's quite good looking, and the atrium looked impressive from what I could see.
Gill

Topic author
Esprit
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Esprit »

Belle53 wrote:
I've just watched the Duchess of Cambridge naming the new ship. It sounds wonderful, shame about the lack of a good prom deck, still I hope I'll be able to sail on her one day.
Wrap around Promenade decks are becoming a thing of the past. They are a non generating revenue waste of space. Royal Princess and her successors are designed around revenue maximisation. Hence the larger atrium with so many cost supplement dining/drinking venues. The cabins and balconies have shrunk in order to make them less attractive to stay in other than for sleeping.

It is however a magnificent ship

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Having just returned from Caribbean Princess which was very familiar to Ventura and Azura think P&Os new ship in 2015 will be very similar if not almost identical except for interior design than Royal Princess.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Esprit wrote:
Belle53 wrote:
Wrap around Promenade decks are becoming a thing of the past. They are a non generating revenue waste of space. Royal Princess and her successors are designed around revenue maximisation. Hence the larger atrium with so many cost supplement dining/drinking venues. The cabins and balconies have shrunk in order to make them less attractive to stay in other than for sleeping.

It is however a magnificent ship
If there's no,promenade deck then there won't be any revenue stream from us.

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Just back from Southampton and watched her leave on her Maiden, huge but looked nice, very noisy as she passed Hythe, must have had a good CD... Sounded as though they were having a wail of a time :clap:
Jenni

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

noddy10 wrote:
Having just returned from Caribbean Princess which was very familiar to Ventura and Azura think P&Os new ship in 2015 will be very similar if not almost identical except for interior design than Royal Princess.
Yes, that is my understanding as well ... it will have some minor changes to suit P&O more.
I look forward to sailing on it some day :)

Return to “Princess”