The Cruise Ship on ITV

Anything about Princess cruises

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

The Cruise Ship on ITV

Post by Kenmo1 »

TV Times 5-11 July shows a reality programme on ITV about The Royal Princess for Friday. 11th July at 8.00 to 8.30 pm (though times can vary) except for Scotland and Wales. The blurb says 'Join the 1,600 crew members of the Royal Princess cruise ship as it makes its way from the UK to the Caribbean. With 3,600 passengers on board, the staff pull out all the stops to offer top-rate customer service.' There are 4 programmes. Number 1 is general manager Dirk Brand staging a formal night while also battling laundry problems and spa girl Kelly battles homesickness.

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: The Cruise Ship on ITV

Post by Peter D »

Thanks for letting us know Kenmo1. Although I live in Wales can get the English channels as well.
Regards

Peter

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I saw something about the new Norwegian ship recently - they kept on going on about how big it was, but I notice that it berthed in New York (after a bad crossing) in a berth which is too small for QM2; so maybe the Norwegian Breakaway isn't all that big maybe? Anyway, I didn't like the look of it.

Looking forward to seeing this Royal Princess one - and thanks for letting people know.

Em

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

It will probably be the same as all the other programs about cruise ships.
The pesky scarfaced pirate

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

jacksparrow wrote:
It will probably be the same as all the other programs about cruise ships.
It couldn't possibly be as bad as the FO Worldie :thumbdown:

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

thanks for the heads up Kenmo, I for one will tune in, anything with ships and or cruising.

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

have to agree, the FO Worldie programme was just awful. We did the first leg of a worldie in January on the same ship, Balmoral. I can thankfully say, it was nothing like the programme, very enjoyable and unlike the really silly choir mistress on the Tv one, we had a 100 strong choir with a marvellous choirmaster and we did Les Mis and got a standing ovation :-)

Mind you, I could have done another sector, 27 days was just right.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I've seen a few of these type of programmes on various lines and so far, they are pretty much of a muchness.

The one on Norwegian focussed on how all the the serving crew were tips driven with all individual bars having targets to be met.
I remember the manager saying to the staff at the satrt of the shift, 'get out there and sell, sell, sell'

Freds was awful. It looked like Gods waiting room, but, appartently sales spiked immediately after.

The RCI one focussed on how shabbily the staff were treated with one cabin maid griping about how tough her life was.
We both thought, well leave then, if you don't like it.

I hope this one reflects our experience of cruising holidays which have been nothing but positive
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I am looking forward to seeing this mainly to have an idea of what we can expect on Britannia when she launches next year.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I know somebody off Facebook, who was on a sector of that Fred Olsen worldie and they said it was as bad a picture .as it was possible to paint and they focused solely on being as negative as possible and only spoke to a select number of people, also that the age group reflected the fact it was a worldie, after all how many younger people have 112 nights off from work to gad about the place

take them all with a pinch of salt as they all have an angle they wish to promote. I haven't yet seen a realistic portrait of a cruise on tv
Nihil Obstat

Lazysusan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lazysusan »

barney wrote:
I've seen a few of these type of programmes on various lines and so far, they are pretty much of a muchness.

The one on Norwegian focussed on how all the the serving crew were tips driven with all individual bars having targets to be met.
I remember the manager saying to the staff at the satrt of the shift, 'get out there and sell, sell, sell'

Freds was awful. It looked like Gods waiting room, but, appartently sales spiked immediately after.

The RCI one focussed on how shabbily the staff were treated with one cabin maid griping about how tough her life was.
We both thought, well leave then, if you don't like it.

I hope this one reflects our experience of cruising holidays which have been nothing but positive
I saw the FO one and as has been said it was like an Old People's home, but I haven't seen the other two mentioned. When were they on I would like to have seen them?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

barney wrote:
Perhaps people researched it and found a cruise was cheaper than a funeral? :D

Be interesting to see how the Princess one comes out but as others have said these things often bear little relation to reality. Four hours of watching people laying in the sun by the pool, stuffing their faces or playing bingo would be pretty tedious tv!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I saw the FO one and as has been said it was like an Old People's home, but I haven't seen the other two mentioned. When were they on I would like to have seen them?

It was on some of the very obscure Sky channels but can't remember which.

As a tip, you can type 'cruise' into the search engine and all sorts of things come up.

There may be something that tickles your fancy.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Just a reminder that the programme about the Royal Princess is on ITV at 8 pm tonight. It is in between the 2 Coronation Street programmes so that is my television viewing sorted for tonight. :thumbup:

Maureen

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Just had an e-mail from Princess which states ...

" Tune into ITV1 tonight at 8pm for a brand new documentary 'The Cruise Ship' set on board Royal Princess. Already a royal sensation following her naming by HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, now our superliner is all set to become a star of the small screen! Look out for ‘The Cruise Ship’, a new four-part documentary starting tonight at 8pm, on ITV†.

Filmed as Royal Princess sailed around the Caribbean, the show will feature unprecedented behind the scenes footage, giving an insight into what life is really like on board for the 1,600 crew members. Find out how the crew work together to provide guests with first-class customer service, and an amazing cruise experience. "

:clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

personally I feel they do more harm than good and sensationalise the trivial and banal

after watching other programmes about cruise lines, I doubt this one will add to the mystique of cruising
Nihil Obstat

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dark Knight wrote:
... I doubt this one will add to the mystique of cruising
It probably will as it will probably bear little resemblance to what cruising is actually like. :crazy:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

exactly Smurfy
I think they actually put people off and they do tend to focus on either the oddball characters or the drunk idiots, no overly representative of a cruise, well none I have been on
Nihil Obstat

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

LOL Knighty !!

you didn't realise that YOU were the oddball character (or the drunken idiot ??) did you? ;) ;) ;)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

The BBC doc. The Cruise in 1998 made a star of Jane McDonald, and certainly did no harm to Celebrity cruises. Presumably Princess are hoping for a similar result.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

towny44 wrote:
The BBC doc. The Cruise in 1998 made a star of Jane McDonald, and certainly did no harm to Celebrity cruises. Presumably Princess are hoping for a similar result.
Very true John, I hadn't realised The Cruise was filmed on a Celebrity ship.

We had Jane McDonald on a Xmas cruise on Oriana a few years ago and what a fabulous entertainer she is :thumbup:
Jo

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dark Knight wrote:
exactly Smurfy
I think they actually put people off and they do tend to focus on either the oddball characters or the drunk idiots, no overly representative of a cruise, well none I have been on
I'm inclined to agree with DK's remark - the tv companies tend to pad out some of these programmes with a load of twaddle from some really odd people who want their 15 minutes of fame. Still, we shall see tonight.

Maureen

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I'm looking forward now to seeing this - it could just persuade us to 'have a go' with Princess.

Em

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Boris+ wrote:
I'm looking forward now to seeing this - it could just persuade us to 'have a go' with Princess.

Em
Didn't you ' have a go ' with Princess a while back to the Hawaiian Islands ?

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Mob,

No, sorry - it was QV - and an aft suite which was absolutely smashing.

Happy days!

Em

Return to “Princess”