Post by oldbluefox » 08 May 2018, 07:49

towny44 wrote:
07 May 2018, 22:32
oldbluefox wrote:
07 May 2018, 21:42
Ray Scully wrote:
07 May 2018, 21:09
JRM A very skillful polished performer. albeit an ideologue
Unlike Soubry, Morgan and Abbott I suppose who would quickly acquiesce to a federal Europe controlled from Brussels (and Strasbourg four days a month) :lol:
In all seriousness how can anyone justify spending £130 million a year on this futile extravagance?
I thought it was £8bn a year?
According to the Telegraph that's just for transporting files, documents and politicians for three or four days to Strasburg. I suppose that's how long it takes to stock up their wine cellars.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox » 08 May 2018, 07:51

Ray Scully wrote:
08 May 2018, 00:15
:relaxed: Wish I'd had so many bites at the local pit this afternoon :angel:
Have you tried changing your bait Ray? :wave:

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 08 May 2018, 09:05

oldbluefox wrote:
08 May 2018, 07:51
Ray Scully wrote:
08 May 2018, 00:15
:relaxed: Wish I'd had so many bites at the local pit this afternoon :angel:
Have you tried changing your bait Ray? :wave:
:lol:
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 08 May 2018, 10:58

I can see why Ray is worried about Labour

https://www.politico.eu/article/jon-lan ... my-corbyn/

The hard left take over could go either way in my opinion.

Whether they can ever gain enough votes to form a government is debatable, but if they ever do, it will be interesting times.

For my part, it doesn't really matter much to me personally who is in government.

What they all have in common is that they are all pretty useless.

The vast majority wouldn't last five minutes in the business world.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 08 May 2018, 11:39

Barney I don't suppose it can be any great surprise that the young and disenfranchised see Momentum Labour as their saviour. The Tories don't seem to be offering any solutions to the structural inequalities in our society. A small glimmer of hope is the suggestion that the tax burden could be borne more by those with the capacity to pay and in the case of my generation make the biggest claims on the system, however I fear this will not get much traction, for fear of losing the grey vote. As for all Politicians being useless. Of those who I come across in my time, I would suggest only half have been useless and self serving.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 08 May 2018, 12:37

Don't feel guilty Ray ... soon be time for us all to leave our hard earned wealth to a younger set who were born into the culture of entitlement rather than flogging their guts out.

:wave:

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 08 May 2018, 12:41

Manoverboard wrote:
08 May 2018, 12:37
Don't feel guilty Ray ... soon be time for us all to leave our hard earned wealth to a younger set who were born into the culture of entitlement rather than flogging their guts out.

I'm sure my parents thought the same of my generation.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 08 May 2018, 12:48

Ray Scully wrote:
08 May 2018, 12:41
Manoverboard wrote:
08 May 2018, 12:37

I'm sure my parents thought the same of my generation.
No doubt ... but surely the issue still relates to today's ( I am entitled to everything ) youths vs their ( Mend and make do ) grandparents rather than their ( Worked all hours God sent ) parents ?

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 08 May 2018, 12:56

What gets me is the implication that we 'had it easy' in comparison to the young people today.

My recollection is some what different and I'd guess many on here feel the same.

My son was born in 1989. A millennial.
Can you remember what the interest rates where in late 1989.?
I think it was 15 or 16%
I remember paying the mortgage, putting a bit aside for bills and then with the rest ... well there wasn't any rest.

Let me tell you an immediate family situation
I have one son and two nieces all born within a couple of years of each other, so now late 20's early 30's
Now, my son and one niece were savers from being young.
My other niece was a serious spender.
The first two now have lovely houses and children. They are both on their second property due to starting off with buying small flats.

The spender still lives in a rented flat and bemoans the fact that she can't get on and feels so hard done by.
This one has an amazing wardrobe of clothes, hundreds of pairs of shoes, and had VERY expensive and exotic holidays.

So, you see my point. They have all had the same upbringing and the same opportunities.
They chose different paths.

I don't feel guilty for what I've achieved and for what I have.
As Ray says, we are now the generation that is sometimes seen as a drain, making the largest claims on the system, but don't forget this is the sysytem that we paid into for many, many years.

feel Guilty ? Not me.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 08 May 2018, 14:06

Stephen wrote:
01 May 2018, 07:29
God knows how she got her job, she comes across as thick as sh*t
Could it be that the 50% of politicians that Ray thinks are useless and self serving are mainly members of the Labour party, which does not leave poor Jezza with a large pool of top notch candidates with which to fill his shadow cabinet.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 08 May 2018, 14:28

I'd happily challenge that statement towny

Labour have some excellent minds in their Party.

Unfortunately for Corbyn, the more intelligent and erudite amongst them have already decided that they don't wish to be closely associated with him and have distanced themselves.
That is why he has ended up with the likes of Abbott and Thornbury on his front bench.
He has little choice when the brightest wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

I think that the vast majority of Labour MPs are waiting for the far left to eat itself and situation normal to resume. They seem to have grossly underestimated Momentum (Militant Tendency) and that when/if Corbyn is defeated at the next general election, they will shoe in an even more hard left leader due to their voting system.
Remember, the MPs don't choose the leader like the Tories do. It is voted on by the membership and that is hard left dominated.

Blairism is dead and the centre left like Cooper & Umuna will find themselves eventually de-selected.

Heidi Alexander had the right idea, bail out while you can.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 08 May 2018, 14:29

towny44 wrote:
08 May 2018, 14:06
Stephen wrote:
01 May 2018, 07:29
God knows how she got her job, she comes across as thick as sh*t
Could it be that the 50% of politicians that Ray thinks are useless and self serving are mainly members of the Labour party, which does not leave poor Jezza with a large pool of top notch candidates with which to fill his shadow cabinet.
Generally speaking John each party has had its share, brought about no doubt by safe constituencies and a lot of nepotism :-(

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 08 May 2018, 14:50

One of my good mates back in Kent is MP for Swale & Sittingbourne.

He's certainly a good bloke but I'd hardly put him in the Brain of Britain category.
Last year, he blew himself up putting petrol on a bonfire.
IDIOT !
When I told him I'd done the same a few years ago, he suddenly felt so much better :o
Very scary I can tell you. I'd never do that again. I get the wife to do it now.

He is a Gills fan but since becoming MP, doesn't sit with us anymore (don't blame him really, we are riff raff)
He now sits in a box as permanent guest of the main Sponsor. Got to be a few perks I suppose ;)

He used to be a member at my Lodge but resigned on becoming an MP because of the potential stigma.
Shame really but I understand why.

He sits on some defence committee and travels the world on junkets, doing 'in depth studies'
He's recently back from Canada. As they say, nice work if you can get it.

What I do admire about him as he has never taken advantage of the second home scandal.
He openly says that if his constituents can commute, then so can he.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 08 May 2018, 15:05

Barney
Where you not taught to be cautious!

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 08 May 2018, 15:09

I was Ray but it clearly didn't sink in :lol:

As was Bro. Gordon which is why he probably has distanced himself
Last edited by barney on 08 May 2018, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 08 May 2018, 16:08

Now you have moved to Devon have you managed to find anywhere on the level, Barney?

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 09 May 2018, 10:26

oldbluefox wrote:
08 May 2018, 16:08
Now you have moved to Devon have you managed to find anywhere on the level, Barney?
A good move :thumbup: , and one we intend doing ourselves one day. East Devon for us, we'll be there again in June.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 09 May 2018, 12:36

oldbluefox wrote:
We did, just the once ... Bigbury-on-Sea :thumbup:

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 10 May 2018, 10:53

oldbluefox wrote:
Still not yet Foxy

I've not had time !!
We've had various building projects going on almost since we've moved in.

Definately for the new season in September :thumbup:

Instow is almost exactly midway between Barnstaple & Bideford so I have a choice each way.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 10 May 2018, 11:25

Stephen wrote:
09 May 2018, 10:26
oldbluefox wrote:
A good move :thumbup: , and one we intend doing ourselves one day. East Devon for us, we'll be there again in June.
So far not a minute of regret Stephen.

The downside of missing the family is negated by WhatsApp.
We probably chat more than we did when we were all local.

We had dinner last night at the Instow Arms, overlooking the nearly deserted beach and have to pinch ourselves to be living in such a lovely place.
The roads have started to get busier as the season approaches, so the advice is to just stay local, but we're happy to do that.
We had last Sunday on Woolacombe beach and it was gorgeous. Only a twenty minute drive form where we are. We also have Croyde beach and Saunton Sands up the road if we get board with our local one.

My serious recommendation is ....................... don't come. We like it as it is :lol:

I did laugh yesterday when our neighbour described the tourist motorhomes as 'Grockle Boxes' :D

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 10 May 2018, 12:10

barney wrote:
10 May 2018, 11:25
Stephen wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

We had dinner last night at the Instow Arms, overlooking the nearly deserted beach and have to pinch ourselves to be living in such a lovely place.
The roads have started to get busier as the season approaches, so the advice is to just stay local, but we're happy to do that.
We had last Sunday on Woolacombe beach and it was gorgeous. Only a twenty minute drive form where we are. We also have Croyde beach and Saunton Sands up the road if we get board with our local one.

My serious recommendation is ....................... don't come. We like it as it is :lol:

I did laugh yesterday when our neighbour described the tourist motorhomes as 'Grockle Boxes' :D

Busy down there is nothing like here. When we travel down we start relaxing as soon as we are off the M25.

I'm taking you up on you're advice barney about not coming, especially where you live. I prefer to get away from all the proposed new builds. :D 8-)

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 18 May 2018, 09:37

Stephen wrote:
10 May 2018, 12:10
barney wrote:
Stephen wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

Busy down there is nothing like here. When we travel down we start relaxing as soon as we are off the M25.

I'm taking you up on you're advice barney about not coming, especially where you live. I prefer to get away from all the proposed new builds. :D 8-)
There is a fair bit of development in our area at the moment Stephen but nothing like the south east.

My biggest surprise is a development of 135 homes quite near to the Tarka Trail at West Yelland.
I'm gobsmaked that they have allowed building on that side of the road beacuse A. it's outstanding lovely and B. it's clearly a flood plain.
The entrance to the new site Tarka Ridge is exactly opposite an established road call Lagoon View. Well, they haven't got a lagoon view now!

I hope that this isn't the thin edge of the wedge in this particular area but fear it may well be.
I fully appreciate that everyone needs somewhere to live, but there are many other places to build before somewhere as lovely as that.

There is a proposal for a large development out at Landkey, but that's a long way from us so will have no effect.
There seems to be the same 'infill' plots that you get anywhere.
Given the choice of Kent or North Devon, we are very happy with our choice.

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 20 May 2018, 14:55

barney wrote:
18 May 2018, 09:37
Stephen wrote:
10 May 2018, 12:10
barney wrote:
Stephen wrote:

There is a fair bit of development in our area at the moment Stephen but nothing like the south east.

My biggest surprise is a development of 135 homes quite near to the Tarka Trail at West Yelland.
I'm gobsmaked that they have allowed building on that side of the road beacuse A. it's outstanding lovely and B. it's clearly a flood plain.
The entrance to the new site Tarka Ridge is exactly opposite an established road call Lagoon View. Well, they haven't got a lagoon view now!

I hope that this isn't the thin edge of the wedge in this particular area but fear it may well be.
I fully appreciate that everyone needs somewhere to live, but there are many other places to build before somewhere as lovely as that.

There is a proposal for a large development out at Landkey, but that's a long way from us so will have no effect.
There seems to be the same 'infill' plots that you get anywhere.
Given the choice of Kent or North Devon, we are very happy with our choice.

Darkest North springs to mind

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 10 Jun 2018, 16:37

So Mrs Krankie has proudly announced that NHS workers in Scotland are to get a pay raise that means most of them will earn more than their counterparts in England. And who will pay for that? Let me just check the Barnett formula. Oh yes. The English.

Maybe next time she wants an independence referendum the English should be given a vote too. She might win then!

Maybe as a taste of independence Scotland should be allowed to run finance. Have control of all spending and taxation. All money spent in Scotland to be raised in Scotland And there should be a charge for any services she wishes to purchase from the rest of the UK. Such as defence etc.

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Jun 2018, 17:42

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 16:37
So Mrs Krankie has proudly announced that NHS workers in Scotland are to get a pay raise that means most of them will earn more than their counterparts in England. And who will pay for that? Let me just check the Barnett formula. Oh yes. The English.

Maybe next time she wants an independence referendum the English should be given a vote too. She might win then!

Maybe as a taste of independence Scotland should be allowed to run finance. Have control of all spending and taxation. All money spent in Scotland to be raised in Scotland And there should be a charge for any services she wishes to purchase from the rest of the UK. Such as defence etc.
Yeah, who wants the Scots now we have used up all their oil.
Remind me, where is Faslane?
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 10 Jun 2018, 18:34

Jack Staff wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 17:42
In which case why would they vote for independence if their oil is depleted and thousands will be laid off because Mrs Krankie wants to go nuclear free?

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Jun 2018, 18:47

oldbluefox wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 18:34
Jack Staff wrote:
In which case why would they vote for independence if their oil is depleted and thousands will be laid off because Mrs Krankie wants to go nuclear free?
Search me. I'm not Scottish. Maybe they just want to get away from the English?

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 10 Jun 2018, 19:22

Jack Staff wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 18:47
oldbluefox wrote:
Jack Staff wrote:
Actually the latest polls show that fewer would if another referendum was called today.

Indeed polls also show fewer Brits would vote to stay in the EU if another referendum was called today.

But both are side issues. My main point was about the bare faced cheek of Mrs Krankie boasting about paying Scottish NHS workers more than the Englidh at the expense of Englidh tax payers.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 10 Jun 2018, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Jun 2018, 19:40

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 19:22
Jack Staff wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 18:47
oldbluefox wrote:
Jack Staff wrote:
Actually the latest polls show that fewer would if another referendum was called today.

Indeed polls also show fewer Brits would vote to stay in the EU if another referendum was called today.
Not in the polls I'm looking at. But remember, we're not allowed to talk about that here any more.
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 19:22
But both are side issues. My main point was about the bare faced cheek of Mrs Krankie boasting about paying Scottish NHS workers more than the Englidh at the expense of Englidh tax payers.
Have you developed a lisp?

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 10 Jun 2018, 22:05

The Times were reporting that the Tories, earlier in the year, were 16 points behind the Labour party. A recent poll showed the Tories 7 points ahead. Must be the attraction of Anna Soubry. :roll: :lol:

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 11 Jun 2018, 10:24

I fear that Corbyn had that one chance and they failed to take it.
They did however do a wonderful job of acknowledging defeat as some kind of victory.

Given enough preparation time, the Tories will drive a bus through Corbyn and McDonnell's fiscal policies.
While it all sounds wonderful. it just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
Last election, they spent the same money about six times, on different things.

Tax the rich is a great mantra, but being rich gives an individual one major thing that poorer people don't have.
That thing is choice.
If you are rich, you can choose where you live, and what you want to pay for things. You have the choice to set up off shore trusts and pay top accountants to manage your money.

So, it's about balance isn't it.
Tax at a level that the rich find acceptable but not enough to kill the golden goose.
The top 1% of tax payers contribute 27% of the UK income tax revenue.
Those with the broadest shoulders must bear the responsibility says Ms Abbott.
Well, by those calculations, I'd say that they do.

Assuming that this parliament runs full term to 2022, I predict May will be gone, and that Corbyn will get one more shot at being PM.
Should he fail, he will be replaced by someone even more hard left, because it's not their message that is wrong, it is us idiots who don't understand it.
There is even a good chance of a new third party coming along. Maybe one that campaigns to join the EU …. but that's for another thread

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 11 Jun 2018, 11:12

Where do you stand on the moral dilemma of NGO ships transporting migrants from Libya to Italy ?

Tricky one really. Are they genuinely rescuing people or complicit in the illegal trafficking?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... terranean/

We have friends in Malta and they agree that Malta should not take any due to it's size and that all of the 'migrants' should go on to mainland Europe.

Italy currently has 500,000 stuck there with no option to move on.

A tricky one to call. Impound the NGO ships and folk will drown. Allow them to continue and more and more will chance it safe in the knowledge that they will be picked up.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 11 Jun 2018, 11:28

The saying you have to be cruel to be kind springs to mind when considering how to deal the migrant issue.
There has to be some way to discourage the economic migration from poorer countries into Europe, otherwise the extreme right will continue to use this migration to grow their support. But I accept that the leftish govts in Europe will never condone anything less than humanitarian treatment.
John

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 11 Jun 2018, 11:28

barney wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 10:24
I fear that Corbyn had ....
I have to concur with the basic premise of your post.
Though I think, at this time, that policy discussion of the two sides is academic.
Both Corbyn and May are losing support rapidly, but like two skydivers they compare their popularity to each other, with no reference to the most important vector, the quickly approaching ground.
Things could change at any moment. With Davis threatening resignation almost weekly and Johnson attempting to be sacked almost as frequently, things could look very different this time next week!
Labour know Corbyn is a liability election wise. Some in the party may force a change. May might take this opportunity to right the mistake of GE17 against a leaderless/new leader Labour.
Both parties are irrevocably split over [redacted] and the possibility of a SDP type party of the 80's is getting to be quite a possibility as you suggest.
We live in interesting times...

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 11 Jun 2018, 12:02

barney wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 11:12
Where do you stand on the moral dilemma of NGO ships transporting migrants from Libya to Italy ?
You may have seen a show called Cruises from Hell (C4 17th May, only just got around to watching*). They showed footage of a Princess ship picking up refugees, one of which was heavily pregnant. So pregnant in fact that the ship had to turn around to get into helicopter range of Italy, where she gave birth the next day.
I was on board and the events of the night meant we missed our scheduled call at Corfu.
We repeated the cruise the next year and it was obvious that we took a far more Northerly course.
I can only assume to avoid saving human life.
But the ship is only there in the first place to take me (and others of course) to Corfu.
If the ship doesn't go where it's supposed to I (and others of course) don't go on the ship.
If the ship has no passengers it would not go at all.

So my answer to the question is I'm conflicted.

Specifically about NGO's, the same could be said for (say) Save the Children? We could just let these people die in the desert then the above 'problem' disappears, no?

* Yes Merv, because I was on a cruise.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 11 Jun 2018, 13:47

The problem of African economic migrants will be never ending unless and until a firm line is taken.

It is a simple enough task to track ships and so if one sails from Libya then it is returned to Libya …. together with a wad of rations and clothes etc.

At the end of the day the good folk of Malta, Sicily and / or those living on the Italian coastal regions simply cannot cope for ever nor should they be expected to, no surprise to me that a refusal has occurred.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 » 11 Jun 2018, 18:15

the migrant problem pulls at the heart, but I don't think that the solution lies with bringing them to Europe. the European union should organize a centre for immigration in north Africa (Libya, say?) then process the migrants there and give them safe passage if they qualify for migrant status. all others should be told there is no back door, and if caught trying to get into Europe they will be returned to there own country. no more excuses they need to sort this.
regards gilly.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 12 Jun 2018, 13:11

World reaction, according to the BBC news, to the Trump & Kim summit seems rather muted and any achievement is being downplayed. However if Obama had been involved I imagine the reaction would have far more euphoric.
John

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 12 Jun 2018, 13:32

towny44 wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:11
World reaction, according to the BBC news, to the Trump & Kim summit seems rather muted and any achievement is being downplayed. However if Obama had been involved I imagine the reaction would have far more euphoric.
Yes you are correct. Obama would have got a worthy deal (I imagine). Trump however has been played by Kim and the Chinese, (hence the world reaction) but he did get his headlines for today, which is all he cares about.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 19 Jul 2018, 22:46

There was a worrying statistic in today's paper, latest figures show that 28% of births in the UK are now to women who were not born here. The impact that will have on the future generations is rather disturbing, unless there is much more integration than there is at present.
John

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Jul 2018, 23:01

towny44 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 22:46
There was a worrying statistic in today's paper, latest figures show that 28% of births in the UK are now to women who were not born here. The impact that will have on the future generations is rather disturbing, unless there is much more integration than there is at present.
"Number of children being born in Britain hits 10-year low"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 66101.html
Good job we have these women 'not born here' stepping up to the job then!
You may notice that article is from November and includes your 28% figure. Good job you didn't describe "today's paper" as a newspaper! ;)
Last edited by Jack Staff on 19 Jul 2018, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 22 Jul 2018, 09:57

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 23:01
towny44 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 22:46
"Number of children being born in Britain hits 10-year low"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 66101.html
Good job we have these women 'not born here' stepping up to the job then!
You may notice that article is from November and includes your 28% figure. Good job you didn't describe "today's paper" as a newspaper! ;)
But with more robotics and automation will we need these extra workers, or will they just become a major problem for our Education, NHS, Social services and Benefits depts.
I could never be accused of being a Green, but even I am getting concerned that we are fast denuding this planet of it's natural resources, and encouraging economic immigration from Africa and Asia makes me very concerned for our future.
John

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 22 Jul 2018, 12:29

One of the problems with migrants is that many of them come from cultures where large families are the norm.......nowt wrong with that as long as they can feed, cloth and provide for their families.......most can't!

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 22 Jul 2018, 13:14

I suppose the real question to be asking is how large a population does this country want?

70 million ?
80 million ?
100 million ?

I wonder what those who wish us to remain in the EU think? 100 million is a nice round number. Let's aim for that.

If the Inteligencia think that uncontrolled immigration is a good thing, we may as well take in a couple of million refugees from Africa and be done with it. They'll breed like rabbits.
All will be wonderful in LaLa land.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 30 Aug 2018, 21:22

Are we starting to see the beginning of the end of the Labour Party with the resignation of the Whip by Frank Field?

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 30 Aug 2018, 21:35

david63 wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 21:22
Are we starting to see the beginning of the end of the Labour Party with the resignation of the Whip by Frank Field?
No, but the current leadership? We can live in hope.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 30 Aug 2018, 21:41

He is the one politician I really respect. Apparently he resigned from the Tory party over apartheid. He was asked to think the unthinkable over social policy and welfare by Bliar and when he did he was removed from the post. A true pragmatist who was never afraid to say what he really felt irrespective of what everybody else around him was saying. Sad that he felt the need to resign but not surprised bearing in mind what is going on in the Labour party. I feel sure Momentum will sort it out!!!

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 31 Aug 2018, 09:42

Frank Field is a man of principle and one of few MP'S who really cared about the poorest in this country. Sadly when he was charged with doing something about it both sides of parliament turned their back on him.

Good honest men are hard to come by in politics.....but l have no doubt his voice will be heard even louder from the back benches.
Last edited by Onelife on 31 Aug 2018, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF » 31 Aug 2018, 10:35

I agree, I'm definitely not a Labour supporter but I do admire Frank Field. I hope his voice is heard loud and clear from the back benches and I hope his supporters vote for him at the next election if he has to stand as an Independent.

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 31 Aug 2018, 12:08

CaroleF wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 10:35
I agree, I'm definitely not a Labour supporter but I do admire Frank Field. I hope his voice is heard loud and clear from the back benches and I hope his supporters vote for him at the next election if he has to stand as an Independent.
Frank Field could do Corbyn losts of damage so it'll be no surprise if he is ousted from the Labour and stands as an independent.....independent candidates generally don't fair well in general elections but he would most likely buck that trend.
Last edited by Onelife on 31 Aug 2018, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”