Current Affairs

Chat about anything here
User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 » 26 Oct 2018, 18:25

Universal credit introduction.
Has anyone noticed how food bank spokespersons all spout the same comments, makes me wonder if they have all been to the same Labour party funded training camps, or maybe the BBC provide them with a crib sheet.
Surely eveyone knew that the introduction of UC was intended to save money on the massively increased benefits that Labour had introduced, so why the sudden surprise that some claimants will be worse off?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 27 Oct 2018, 14:04

The main problem with the roll out John is that the budget for it has been cut but over half.
That is why Duncan-Smith quit.

My sister in law worked on this for years and is passionate about it, but is very, very unhappy at the cuts introduced after the event.
Typical Tory policy to go for the softer targets.
The idea is to help get people into work, not drive them to the poor house.

Did you know that in the last ten years, the UK has spent 100 billion on foreign aid.
100 billion of British taxpayers money.
That is 100 billion on top of what we contribute via the EU.
100 billion that could have been spent keeping day care centres open and youth projects going.
Add into that the billions we have spent propping up the failing EU and you can see why folk are cross about it.

I'd propose that ALL of the foreign aid budget cease immediatly.
Keep a proportion back for instant aid follwong tragedies and spend the rest where it should be spent.
In the UK and on the people who deserve it.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 » 27 Oct 2018, 15:51

barney wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 14:04
The main problem with the roll out John is that the budget for it has been cut but over half.
That is why Duncan-Smith quit.

My sister in law worked on this for years and is passionate about it, but is very, very unhappy at the cuts introduced after the event.
Typical Tory policy to go for the softer targets.
The idea is to help get people into work, not drive them to the poor house.

Did you know that in the last ten years, the UK has spent 100 billion on foreign aid.
100 billion of British taxpayers money.
That is 100 billion on top of what we contribute via the EU.
100 billion that could have been spent keeping day care centres open and youth projects going.
Add into that the billions we have spent propping up the failing EU and you can see why folk are cross about it.

I'd propose that ALL of the foreign aid budget cease immediatly.
Keep a proportion back for instant aid follwong tragedies and spend the rest where it should be spent.
In the UK and on the people who deserve it.
l hear what you say Barney but if everyone stopped foreign aid we would have even more economic migrants flowing into Europe from Africa.
As regards benefits I agree that the very needy should be protected, but during the last Labour govt benefits were expanded massively which is why we ended up with many thousands for whom working was not an economic option.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 27 Oct 2018, 16:18

https://qz.com/africa/737094/oxfam-is-m ... e-welcome/

Even less accountability though John.

I will only ever support local charities.
I cannot be part of the international scam and I refuse to help pay the conflated salaries of these charity bosses.
I wonder how much actually goes to helping those it is intended to help.
Many CEOs are on six figure salaries.
Think back to when we were kids.
Sometimes the school or Sunday School asked you to do things to raise money for the little black children in Africa.
Years on, they are still asking the same.
What has happened to all of those millions and millions raised?

I'm absolutely happy to give, but do like to know where it's going.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 » 31 Oct 2018, 18:31

Channel 4 moves to Leeds.
Nice to see that channel 4's headquarters is moving to Yorkshire, maybe that will prompt the BBC to upgrade Look North and regional programmes up to HD standard.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9692
Joined: February 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 01 Nov 2018, 08:54

They probably think the north looks better not in HD


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 864
Joined: March 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by screwy » 01 Nov 2018, 09:08

Steady Merv.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9783
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Stephen » 01 Nov 2018, 09:49

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 08:54
They probably think the north looks better not in HD

:lol:

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7435
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard » 01 Nov 2018, 09:54

towny44 wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 18:31
Channel 4 moves to Leeds.
Nice to see that channel 4's headquarters is moving to Yorkshire, maybe that will prompt the BBC to upgrade Look North and regional programmes up to HD standard.
My understanding is that they are moving ' some ' of their operation to Leeds but most of their HQ will remain in London.

Had they wanted to support a Northern Powerhouse it would have gone to Manchester …. with the BBC and ITV. Great for Leeds however and good to see stuff being moved out of London of course.

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9783
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Stephen » 01 Nov 2018, 10:06

Manoverboard wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 09:54
towny44 wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 18:31
Channel 4 moves to Leeds.
Nice to see that channel 4's headquarters is moving to Yorkshire, maybe that will prompt the BBC to upgrade Look North and regional programmes up to HD standard.
My understanding is that they are moving ' some ' of their operation to Leeds but most of their HQ will remain in London.

Had they wanted to support a Northern Powerhouse it would have gone to Manchester …. with the BBC and ITV. Great for Leeds however and good to see stuff being moved out of London of course.
It might as well, as practically everything on TV has someone from Oop North advertising, acting, singing, dancing and god knows what else.

Img_1047ba.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stephen on 01 Nov 2018, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9783
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Stephen » 06 Nov 2018, 11:00

On a lighter note :D



Reminder for our American cousins... It's election day Tuesday 6th November
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Nov 2018, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 07 Nov 2018, 15:03

It seems that the USA is just as divided as the UK.

The Democrats victory is a little like Labour's at our last election.
No power but enough presence to spoil.
At least Trump will be reigned in for the next two years.
I wonder if the Democrats can find a candidate in that time.
It looks like he intends to run again and could well win again.

I think a lot will depend on this 'migrant train' that is heading north.
Let them in and he's weak.
Keep them out and he's a b*stard.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: September 2016

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jack Staff » 07 Nov 2018, 16:54

barney wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 15:03
I think a lot will depend on this 'migrant train' that is heading north.
Let them in and he's weak.
Keep them out and he's a b*stard.
The caravan is still about 1000 miles from the border. I doubt we will hear any more about it until Trump needs to whip up his fan base again.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9692
Joined: February 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 08 Nov 2018, 08:58

His press conference was awful yesterday. Showed hime as the bullying thug he is. But I doubt his ardent fans will notice.

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5859
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by david63 » 08 Nov 2018, 09:02

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 08:58
His press conference was awful yesterday. Showed hime as the bullying thug he is. But I doubt his ardent fans will notice.
False news!!!!!

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 08 Nov 2018, 14:44

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 08:58
His press conference was awful yesterday. Showed hime as the bullying thug he is. But I doubt his ardent fans will notice.
Trump is what he is and doesn't pretend to be anything different.
The basic mistake that the journalists are making is that they think that they are dealing with a politician.
Trump is not and never has been a 'traditional' politician.

When a politician is attacked, they naturally go on the defence, whereas Trump naturally goes on the offence.
What the journo considers a reasonable question, Trump takes as a personal attack, and attacks right back.
This particular guy does have a fair bit of history with Trump and CNN do produce a fair amount of dubious stories about him.
I watch CNN daily as part of my worldwide news roundup and some of their stuff is really proposturous.

The question was originally about his use of the word invasion.
He could and should have thrown it straight back to the guy, asking what word he'd use to describe it.
When you look at the simple fact, Trump is pretty well spot on.

No one has yet asked the Democrats what they would do if in power.
Welcome them all in?
I doubt it.
The best thing that the USA can do is to feed and water the Train on the Mexican side of the border.

Just imagine if the UK had let in all of the thousands that were camping in Calais.
Thousands more would have come within weeks.
That all started in Sangatte in 2002 and slowly escalated.
I can't remember Tony Blair welcoming all.

My point really is that it's easy to preach from opposition but when you have to make decisions, it's much harder.

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5859
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by david63 » 09 Nov 2018, 11:17

You can always rely on good old Diane Abbott.

Anyone hear her on Question Time last night say "I have spoken to many who died in the Grenfell fire" - she did quickly realise (for her) what she had said and corrected herself!

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9783
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Stephen » 09 Nov 2018, 11:22

david63 wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:17
You can always rely on good old Diane Abbott.

Anyone hear her on Question Time last night say "I have spoken to many who died in the Grenfell fire" - she did quickly realise (for her) what she had said and corrected herself!
42684593_507225026419312_1475743160813486080_n.jpg
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: September 2016

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Nov 2018, 19:57

By the way, ANY NEWS FROM THE STATES?
Has it fallen to a caravan of a handful hungry tired people yet?
I only ask because it was, according to Trump, Fox, Infowars, Breitbart et al. an imminent threat to the US, right up until Tuesday, and then not a peep. So worried. #pray4usa

{Alex Andreou}
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 10 Nov 2018, 10:51

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 19:57
By the way, ANY NEWS FROM THE STATES?
Has it fallen to a caravan of a handful hungry tired people yet?
I only ask because it was, according to Trump, Fox, Infowars, Breitbart et al. an imminent threat to the US, right up until Tuesday, and then not a peep. So worried. #pray4usa

{Alex Andreou}
Smug comments are easy Jack.
Just as matter of interest, what would you do if you were the President of the USA?
1. Let them all in unchecked?
2. Allow them to apply for asylum inside the USA thus clogging up the sysytem for genuine asylum seekers?
3. Allow the to apply for asylum on the Mexican side of the border?
4. Turn them away at the border and finance a refugee camp in Mexico?
5. None of the above.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: September 2016

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Nov 2018, 10:58

barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 10:51
Jack Staff wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 19:57
By the way, ANY NEWS FROM THE STATES?
Has it fallen to a caravan of a handful hungry tired people yet?
I only ask because it was, according to Trump, Fox, Infowars, Breitbart et al. an imminent threat to the US, right up until Tuesday, and then not a peep. So worried. #pray4usa

{Alex Andreou}
Smug comments are easy Jack.
Just as matter of interest, what would you do if you were the President of the USA?
1. Let them all in unchecked?
2. Allow them to apply for asylum inside the USA thus clogging up the sysytem for genuine asylum seekers?
3. Allow the to apply for asylum on the Mexican side of the border?
4. Turn them away at the border and finance a refugee camp in Mexico?
5. None of the above.
I just thought it was funny and reinforced my view that I posted on the 7th.
This thread seemed (now) to be more light hearted and congenial than the 'other place'.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1471
Joined: June 2014

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Happydays » 10 Nov 2018, 11:21

They are still on their way to the USA border but now demanding bus be supplied! 😕

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 » 10 Nov 2018, 11:32

Happydays wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 11:21
They are still on their way to the USA border but now demanding bus be supplied! 😕
It won't be long before we are being asked to give up our cabins on Med cruises, so that the ships can pick up sub Saharan refugees to bring back to the UK.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: September 2016

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Nov 2018, 11:48

towny44 wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 11:32
Happydays wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 11:21
They are still on their way to the USA border but now demanding bus be supplied! 😕
It won't be long before we are being asked to give up our cabins on Med cruises, so that the ships can pick up sub Saharan refugees to bring back to the UK.
Because we are in the EU, when I was on a Med cruise and we piked up sub Saharan refugees, they were taken to Italy. You may well be right that in future they will have to be brought back to the UK.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 10 Nov 2018, 14:47

Jack Staff wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 10:58
barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 10:51
Jack Staff wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 19:57
By the way, ANY NEWS FROM THE STATES?
Has it fallen to a caravan of a handful hungry tired people yet?
I only ask because it was, according to Trump, Fox, Infowars, Breitbart et al. an imminent threat to the US, right up until Tuesday, and then not a peep. So worried. #pray4usa

{Alex Andreou}
Smug comments are easy Jack.
Just as matter of interest, what would you do if you were the President of the USA?
1. Let them all in unchecked?
2. Allow them to apply for asylum inside the USA thus clogging up the sysytem for genuine asylum seekers?
3. Allow the to apply for asylum on the Mexican side of the border?
4. Turn them away at the border and finance a refugee camp in Mexico?
5. None of the above.
I just thought it was funny and reinforced my view that I posted on the 7th.
This thread seemed (now) to be more light hearted and congenial than the 'other place'.
OK, you thought it was funny, but what would you suggest that the solution is ?
Any of the above suggestions or do you have your own idea ?

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: September 2016

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Nov 2018, 15:15

barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 14:47
Jack Staff wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 10:58
barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 10:51
Jack Staff wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 19:57
By the way, ANY NEWS FROM THE STATES?
Has it fallen to a caravan of a handful hungry tired people yet?
I only ask because it was, according to Trump, Fox, Infowars, Breitbart et al. an imminent threat to the US, right up until Tuesday, and then not a peep. So worried. #pray4usa

{Alex Andreou}
Smug comments are easy Jack.
Just as matter of interest, what would you do if you were the President of the USA?
1. Let them all in unchecked?
2. Allow them to apply for asylum inside the USA thus clogging up the sysytem for genuine asylum seekers?
3. Allow the to apply for asylum on the Mexican side of the border?
4. Turn them away at the border and finance a refugee camp in Mexico?
5. None of the above.
I just thought it was funny and reinforced my view that I posted on the 7th.
This thread seemed (now) to be more light hearted and congenial than the 'other place'.
OK, you thought it was funny, but what would you suggest that the solution is ?
Any of the above suggestions or do you have your own idea ?
As you ask, firstly I would not have gotten into this situation in the first place.
Trump has used this caravan to drum up support for the mid terms, without thought of the repercussions.
Just keeping his mouth shut would have meant that many would not have joined along the way, those that were already on route would not have been encouraged by the massed world news reporters.
Trump would then have probably been able to quietly give the few that did turn up on the border a good meal and a bus ride home.
That's what I would have done.
What would I do (if I was Trump)? Difficult, because I simply do not think the way he does, but really now his only choice is to carry on upping the ante, or he loses face. More barbed wire, threats to shoot them if they throw stones. What he's doing now actually, can't see he's left himself much choice.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 10 Nov 2018, 15:21

You clearly know nothing about it and have done no research before posting.

So, it's all Trump's fault.
Classic !

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: September 2016

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Nov 2018, 15:32

barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 15:21
You clearly know nothing about it and have done no research before posting.

So, it's all Trump's fault.
Classic !
Well I tried to be nice. So I don't even get points for that?
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 10 Nov 2018, 15:36

Read this from a reputable source and then try again.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/worl ... o-usa.html

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: September 2016

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jack Staff » 10 Nov 2018, 15:39

barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 15:36
Read this from a reputable source and then try again.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/worl ... o-usa.html
Yes sir, right away sir, with knobs on sir.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney » 10 Nov 2018, 15:41

Then try this one about the far right across the water
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... nd-america

"It has long been one of the weaknesses of the EU that when people perceive that they have lost control of their countries’ internal affairs, because of EU institutions that are not directly accountable and which tend to ignore the histories and cultures of the very different member states, then scapegoats will be found and there will be a return to a hard and resentful nationalism.
This, unfortunately, may be the lasting legacy of the EU.
The EU worked best under its old cloak of the EEC – a cooperative economic association.
This left intact the independence of member states when dealing with domestic matters.
If Europe is to survive and defeat the monster under its skin then it needs to very quickly back off from its ideology of a European state, and restructure itself on the model of its cooperative economic predecessor."
Last edited by barney on 10 Nov 2018, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7024
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox » 10 Nov 2018, 22:25

barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 15:41
Then try this one about the far right across the water
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... nd-america

"It has long been one of the weaknesses of the EU that when people perceive that they have lost control of their countries’ internal affairs, because of EU institutions that are not directly accountable and which tend to ignore the histories and cultures of the very different member states, then scapegoats will be found and there will be a return to a hard and resentful nationalism.
This, unfortunately, may be the lasting legacy of the EU.
The EU worked best under its old cloak of the EEC – a cooperative economic association.
This left intact the independence of member states when dealing with domestic matters.
If Europe is to survive and defeat the monster under its skin then it needs to very quickly back off from its ideology of a European state, and restructure itself on the model of its cooperative economic predecessor."
Exactly!!! :clap:

Did you see Trump give Macron the cold shoulder today? After what Macron had said about an EU army to protect against Trump. Putin et al I can't blame him.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 10 Nov 2018, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4775
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife » 10 Nov 2018, 22:56

Jack Staff wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 15:15
barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 14:47
Jack Staff wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 10:58
barney wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 10:51

Smug comments are easy Jack.
Just as matter of interest, what would you do if you were the President of the USA?
1. Let them all in unchecked?
2. Allow them to apply for asylum inside the USA thus clogging up the sysytem for genuine asylum seekers?
3. Allow the to apply for asylum on the Mexican side of the border?
4. Turn them away at the border and finance a refugee camp in Mexico?
5. None of the above.
I just thought it was funny and reinforced my view that I posted on the 7th.
This thread seemed (now) to be more light hearted and congenial than the 'other place'.
OK, you thought it was funny, but what would you suggest that the solution is ?
Any of the above suggestions or do you have your own idea ?
As you ask, firstly I would not have gotten into this situation in the first place.
Trump has used this caravan to drum up support for the mid terms, without thought of the repercussions.
Just keeping his mouth shut would have meant that many would not have joined along the way, those that were already on route would not have been encouraged by the massed world news reporters.
Trump would then have probably been able to quietly give the few that did turn up on the border a good meal and a bus ride home.
That's what I would have done.
What would I do (if I was Trump)? Difficult, because I simply do not think the way he does, but really now his only choice is to carry on upping the ante, or he loses face. More barbed wire, threats to shoot them if they throw stones. What he's doing now actually, can't see he's left himself much choice.
I don't think there is a workable solution to the central American issues while countries like El Salvador, Honduras etc have corruption running through every sinew of there political systems.

Trump could find another 5,000 troops and go in and rid the countries of their corrupt governments along with as many gangland members that keep them in power......gawd! I'm starting to sound like Trump.

Not in my back yard...Thank you...but l do feel sorry for these migrants.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Current Affairs

Post by towny44 » 10 Nov 2018, 23:05

Since the rise of smart phones and social media seems to have increased the knowledge of those living in poorer countries as to the massive divide between the haves and the have nots; I propose that Google, Facebook, twitter, etc along with Apple, Samsung etc and all the mobile phone companies should be taxed with providing the solution to this global economic migrant crisis.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 864
Joined: March 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by screwy » 11 Nov 2018, 10:07

Watched the Festival of Remembrance last night, seemed to be one glaring absence....Corbyn. Just wondering what important meeting could keep the Opposition leader away, just asking.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer
Posts: 243
Joined: January 2013
Location: Chorley

Re: Current Affairs

Post by johnds » 11 Nov 2018, 10:22

screwy wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:07
Watched the Festival of Remembrance last night, seemed to be one glaring absence....Corbyn. Just wondering what important meeting could keep the Opposition leader away, just asking.
I have no real knowledge but I seem to recall a past story that he does go but insists that he is not seen on TV
I could easliy be wrong
I did notice a couple of shadow ministers there
I don't think I have ever seen his wife at anything but that's their prerogative
John

User avatar

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer
Posts: 243
Joined: January 2013
Location: Chorley

Re: Current Affairs

Post by johnds » 11 Nov 2018, 10:25

I see that the intrepid Mr Trump cancelled a visit to a war cemetery because it was raining
What a toughie he really is
John

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5859
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by david63 » 11 Nov 2018, 10:48

johnds wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:25
I see that the intrepid Mr Trump cancelled a visit to a war cemetery because it was raining
What a toughie he really is
Unlike Prince Harry who laid a wreath at Twickenham in the pouring rain

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7435
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Manoverboard » 11 Nov 2018, 11:30

johnds wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:22
screwy wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:07
Watched the Festival of Remembrance last night, seemed to be one glaring absence....Corbyn. Just wondering what important meeting could keep the Opposition leader away, just asking.
I have no real knowledge but I seem to recall a past story that he does go but insists that he is not seen on TV
I could easliy be wrong
I did notice a couple of shadow ministers there
I don't think I have ever seen his wife at anything but that's their prerogative
He did however lay a wreath this morning at the Cenotaph.

He was quite easy to spot as he was the one wearing ill fitting trousers and a Parker, unlike everybody else who were dressed for the formality of the occasion.


.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Nov 2018, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1712
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Ray Scully » 11 Nov 2018, 12:45

Manoverboard wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 11:30
He did however lay a wreath this morning at the Cenotaph.

He was quite easy to spot as he was the one wearing ill fitting trousers and a Parker, unlike everybody else who were dressed for the formality of the occasion.
Was it stupidity, disrespect or trying to gain a few political points? :thumbdown:


.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Nov 2018, 12:52, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9783
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Stephen » 11 Nov 2018, 12:53

Laziness .

User avatar

Jan Rosser
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1784
Joined: January 2013
Location: South Wales

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Jan Rosser » 11 Nov 2018, 12:59

I watched the Festival of Remembrance too last night - spent most of it in tears - forget about Brexit and politics and show biz nonsense and appreciate what an amazing nation we are and what we owe those who died for us to enjoy the lives we lead today. I’m sure we all have a connection to someone who died - my mother’s great uncle died during the sinking of the local colliery leaving his widow with 7 children the eldest being just 13 who then became the breadwinner. He then died in Mametz Woods leaving a young family - life is a walk in the park today for so many of us.
Janis

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9692
Joined: February 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 11 Nov 2018, 15:05

I was appalled when I saw Corbyn today. It can't be ignorance of the general expectation of dignified respect for the people whose sacrifice we were marking. It has to be a totally ill judged deliberate statement. The man is not fit to lead anything. Certainly not the Opposition and even less the country. Why can't his supporters see what a pathetic and self centred idiot he is.


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 864
Joined: March 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by screwy » 11 Nov 2018, 15:25

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 15:05
I was appalled when I saw Corbyn today. It can't be ignorance of the general expectation of dignified respect for the people whose sacrifice we were marking. It has to be a totally ill judged deliberate statement. The man is not fit to lead anything. Certainly not the Opposition and even less the country. Why can't his supporters see what a pathetic and self centred idiot he is.
Possibly because most of them are just the same..
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4775
Joined: January 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife » 11 Nov 2018, 15:43

Hope he gets what he deserves when he reads the morning papers :thumbdown:

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5859
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Current Affairs

Post by david63 » 11 Nov 2018, 15:59

johnds wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:25
I see that the intrepid Mr Trump cancelled a visit to a war cemetery because it was raining
What a toughie he really is
He probably didn't want his fake tan to wash off!!

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2770
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Gill W » 11 Nov 2018, 16:04

You think Corbyn could have managed a black tie instead of that red one.

I doubt if he was at the Festival of Remembrance last night either, he was tweeting about the gender pay gap while it was on TV!
Gill

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2770
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Gill W » 11 Nov 2018, 16:05

david63 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 15:59
johnds wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:25
I see that the intrepid Mr Trump cancelled a visit to a war cemetery because it was raining
What a toughie he really is
He probably didn't want his fake tan to wash off!!
Or risk his hair getting wet so we can see how bald he is
Gill

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7024
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Current Affairs

Post by oldbluefox » 11 Nov 2018, 17:04

Gill W wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 16:05
david63 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 15:59
johnds wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 10:25
I see that the intrepid Mr Trump cancelled a visit to a war cemetery because it was raining
What a toughie he really is
He probably didn't want his fake tan to wash off!!
Or risk his hair getting wet so we can see how bald he is
His wife probably told him to put his hood up if it rained. The man is a disgrace.


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 864
Joined: March 2013

Re: Current Affairs

Post by screwy » 11 Nov 2018, 19:26

Trump did lay a wreath at a US military cemetery.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “General Chat”