Football 2018/19

Chat about anything here

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Football 2018/19

Post by barney » 04 Aug 2018, 13:55

I know many of you glory hunting Premiership fans won't even realise it but the football season starts today :thumbup:

Mighty Gills are away to newly promoted League Two winners Accy Stanley.

My thoughts for the season ?

Might come top. Might come bottom.

I'll aspire to mid-table mediocrity :clap:

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Football 2018/19

Post by towny44 » 04 Aug 2018, 16:10

I will settle for that as well Barney. :thumbup:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 04 Aug 2018, 16:27

My footy season started last night :wave:

It was on t'telly, Reading vs Derby ( 1:2 ) and it was of course the first time out for new boy Lamps.

My thought of the day for the Prem is that the BIG Boys are buying up the tiddler teams best players season by season but at a faster pace than used to be the case. Take the Foxes who have lost Mahres, Kante and Drinkwater … Shmickle-ish could be next …. what say you Foxy ?

We have recently lost our Brazilian superstar Richarlison to Everton, albeit for a figure potentially rising to £50,000,000.

The Hornets first game is next Saturday vs Brighton at Vicarage Road … roll on :clap:

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 04 Aug 2018, 17:05

Two nil away :clap: I'll take that.

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 04 Aug 2018, 17:18

As long as Liverpool win bug*er all i'll be happy..
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 05 Aug 2018, 11:04

screwy wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 17:18
As long as Liverpool win bug*er all i'll be happy..

I've picked Liverpool in our prediction league competition
I've gone -
Liverpool
Derby
Peterborough
MK Dons

Twenty quid entry fee - no changes - winner gets five hundred quid then second & third.
Anyone with the same teams shares.
Nearly everyone goes for the four bookies favourites, so I like to try something different.
Season before last I won it. £500 is a nice pick up. :D
I came 7th last season, so close but no cigar.

The year I won it, it all hinged on the last day of the season and it was pretty exciting.

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 05 Aug 2018, 13:19

I dont even like them winning the toss..!!!!
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 19 Aug 2018, 15:33

:shock: Oh dear Towny ????

What went wrong there ?

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 19 Aug 2018, 15:40

barney wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 15:33
:shock: Oh dear Towny ????

What went wrong there ?
Just about everything, fortunately we don't play City every week.
John

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 19 Aug 2018, 16:49

Good for my dream team John. I had Aguero as captain :thumbup:

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 » 20 Aug 2018, 09:53

My team have got off to a good start. Can't remember a time when we have had back to back wins in the league. Unfortunately league 1 thou.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 20 Aug 2018, 12:15

stocktonmackem2 wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 09:53
My team have got off to a good start. Can't remember a time when we have had back to back wins in the league. Unfortunately league 1 thou.
Leicester had to drop down to league 1 before their resurgence saw them PL champions.
John

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 20 Aug 2018, 13:33

I'm saying nothing.....Jose out...!!!
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 20 Aug 2018, 15:21

Actually enjoyed our time in Lge1. Proper grounds, good supporters made for a great day out and none of the artificial rubbish you get in the Prem from the glory boys. Football as it used to be.

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 » 20 Aug 2018, 15:41

towny44 wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 12:15
stocktonmackem2 wrote:
Leicester had to drop down to league 1 before their resurgence saw them PL champions.
Hopefully our clear out will see that happen for us. I can always dream. haha It is like a breath of fresh air around our ground at the minute. Long may it last. Hope you have a good season apart from the blip yesterday.

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 » 20 Aug 2018, 15:42

oldbluefox wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 15:21
Actually enjoyed our time in Lge1. Proper grounds, good supporters made for a great day out and none of the artificial rubbish you get in the Prem from the glory boys. Football as it used to be.
At least we have got rid of the players who only came for the money. The lads who have been playing the last couple of games seem to want to be there. I'm looking forward to going back to some of the old grounds again. Who needs the Premier league haha

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 20 Aug 2018, 15:55

Over the years I must have been to virtually all of the old 1st, 2nd, 3rd ( South and North ) plus the 4th Division Grounds. With Northampton we went from 4th to 1st then back to 4th in consecutive seasons :lol:

When I think back and recall the tin toilets, freezing cold conditions and mouldy green pies etc my preference would have to be a seat in one of the Corporate Boxes at Vicarage Road … Prem style. :clap:

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 20 Aug 2018, 17:38

stocktonmackem2 wrote:
Nothing wrong with League One mate :thumbup:
You should walk it this year.
Automatic promotion at least.

Gills game has been moved to a Wednesday evening for some reason.
Last edited by barney on 20 Aug 2018, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 20 Aug 2018, 17:42

"When I think back and recall the tin toilets, freezing cold conditions and mouldy green pies etc my preference would have to be a seat in one of the Corporate Boxes at Vicarage Road … Prem style. "

I remember the old Rainham End at Gills when if a ball landed on the roof, the crowd were showered with rust :lol:
The toilet had no roof and you had to stand on breeze blocks because the floor was awash with .. well you've guessed it.
Now, it's all civilised with food halls and a very nice bar.
I know which I prefer :thumbup:

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 » 21 Aug 2018, 08:47

barney wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 17:38
stocktonmackem2 wrote:
Nothing wrong with League One mate :thumbup:
You should walk it this year.
Automatic promotion at least.

Gills game has been moved to a Wednesday evening for some reason.
Hope so Barney. The game was moved because we played on Sunday.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 21 Aug 2018, 09:32

Manoverboard wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 15:55
Over the years I must have been to virtually all of the old 1st, 2nd, 3rd ( South and North ) plus the 4th Division Grounds. With Northampton we went from 4th to 1st then back to 4th in consecutive seasons :lol:

When I think back and recall the tin toilets, freezing cold conditions and mouldy green pies etc my preference would have to be a seat in one of the Corporate Boxes at Vicarage Road … Prem style. :clap:
I preferred standing in the scratching sheds, Bovril at half time and a proper meat pie rather than one of these plastic things you get now. Love mixing in with the locals (except Millwall :lol: ), a bit of friendly banter without all the aggro you get from some teams higher up.
As for corporate boxes I have been to a few and not keen having to dress smartly and behave responsibly. Would rather be on the terraces although I must admit the food is good and plentiful. You can keep your prawn sandwiches; give me a decent meat pie any time just as long as the green mould has been scraped off!!

My problem with the Prem is that obce you have a modicum of success all the glory hunters jump on the bandwagon and all those who have followed them through the lean years can't get a ticket. I suppose the plus side is in saving a shed load of money cos the ticket prices go up to pay for these Prem players.

Good luck to the Mackems. You've had a few torrid years lately so at last you'll something to cheer about. No fun in losing every week is there?

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 22 Aug 2018, 16:02

oldbluefox wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 09:32
Manoverboard wrote:

I preferred standing in the scratching sheds, Bovril at half time and a proper meat pie rather than one of these plastic things you get now. Love mixing in with the locals (except Millwall :lol: ), a bit of friendly banter without all the aggro you get from some teams higher up.
As for corporate boxes I have been to a few and not keen having to dress smartly and behave responsibly. Would rather be on the terraces although I must admit the food is good and plentiful. You can keep your prawn sandwiches; give me a decent meat pie any time just as long as the green mould has been scraped off!!

My problem with the Prem is that obce you have a modicum of success all the glory hunters jump on the bandwagon and all those who have followed them through the lean years can't get a ticket. I suppose the plus side is in saving a shed load of money cos the ticket prices go up to pay for these Prem players.

Good luck to the Mackems. You've had a few torrid years lately so at last you'll something to cheer about. No fun in losing every week is there?
Hooligan … and this from someone who preaches the cruise ship Dress Codes to the rest of us :lol:

ps … I deffo agree with you about Millwall.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 22 Aug 2018, 16:42

I am trying to avoid looking at the league tables, my Terriers are bottom of the Premier league, but what's worse is that L**ds are top of the Championship, woe, woe and thrice woe. :(
John

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 22 Aug 2018, 16:45

IFollow are screening the big match - Gills V Sunderland, live tonight for a mere tenner.
If I can't figure out how to get it on the big TV, I'll watch on the desk top.

ps I deffo agree about Millwall, having been there many time, as our nearest neighbour.
From South Bermondsey train station, there is actually a long cage that you walk through into the away end, with the knuckle draggers spitting venom and abuse from the other side. Their mum's must be very proud of 'em :shh:

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 22 Aug 2018, 18:58

Manoverboard wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:02
oldbluefox wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 09:32
Manoverboard wrote:

Hooligan … and this from someone who preaches the cruise ship Dress Codes to the rest of us :lol:

ps … I deffo agree with you about Millwall.
You want bovver bruv. Bring it on!!!! :lol:
Foxy Bovver Brigade Founder 1958
Last edited by oldbluefox on 22 Aug 2018, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 22 Aug 2018, 19:01

Indeed I love some of the banter, the chants and the songs coming from the terraces. Great atmosphere down there and much better than a polite clap of the hands and trying to look sporting if there are guests supporting the other team.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 23 Aug 2018, 08:17

Good result for the Mackems but not so good for barney's Gills.

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 » 23 Aug 2018, 08:32

oldbluefox wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:17
Long may it last for us. It's been a long time since we have been unbeaten in 4 league games. Sorry Barney

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 23 Aug 2018, 14:12

To be honest, the score did not reflect the match.
While I wouldn't say that Sunderland were lucky, Gillingham were certainly unlucky.
Call it good defending by Sunderland , or poor finishing by Gills, but we had four or five chances cleared off the line, plus a good penalty shout.
For the first twenty minutes in the second half, Gills laid siege to the Sunderland goal, and on their first breakaway, they scored the 4th and killed it off.
Gills were still going for it right up until the final whistle, with four up front.
It's not often a team loses 4-1 at home and gets a standing ovation from their fans.
We'll play a lot worse than that this season and win matches.

Still, I'm glad we only have to play Sunderland once more.
On that showing, they should be thereabouts come May.
I didn't think their football was as good as Wigan & Blackburn played last season but they were still a good side at this level.

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 » 23 Aug 2018, 15:05

stocktonmackem2 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:32
oldbluefox wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:17
Long may it last for us. It's been a long time since we have been unbeaten in 4 league games. Sorry Barney
I didn't listen to match as I was at work but my husband did say we were under the cosh in the second half. I'll take luck to win games as it's a long time since we have had a lot of wins. The pleasing thing is we will hopefully get better as we have some of our better players out injured at the minute. I suppose we should be thankful that the 12 new players seem to have gelled quite quickly. Hope you have a good season. :) Oops I was meant to be quoting Barney's thread. lol
Last edited by stocktonmackem2 on 23 Aug 2018, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 23 Aug 2018, 16:56

Cheers, and all the best to you too, except for when we come to Roker Park Estadio De La Luz :thumbup:

We have the pleasure of Coventry on Saturday, another fallen Premier giant

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 24 Aug 2018, 17:58

Woy has warned Harry the Hornet not to mock Wilfred Zaha this Sunday cos his lad doesn't dive … yeah, right :lol:

Woy on Harry the Hornet

Harry impersonating Zaha ...

Last edited by Manoverboard on 24 Aug 2018, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 24 Aug 2018, 19:14

We welcome back one of our old managers tomorrow Neil Warnock, he may be disliked by many but he was certainly one of our more successful managers and got us promoted into the championship in his last season. I have to hope he is on the losing side this time.
John

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 » 25 Aug 2018, 11:38

I'm hoping we can pick up our 1st points under our new manager. Some interesting times ahead for us gooners.

Let's hope that he is given some time.

RB

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 27 Aug 2018, 10:06

It was a full blooded needle match for us yesterday V Palace and no surprises that Zaha was the centre of attention as usual … our record against Palace is poor but this time we took the three points to put us in pole position with Liverpool. The next few games however include Spurs, Arsenal and ManU so mid table at best come the end of September :lol:

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 27 Aug 2018, 10:42

Manoverboard wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 10:06
It was a full blooded needle match for us yesterday V Palace and no surprises that Zaha was the centre of attention as usual … our record against Palace is poor but this time we took the three points to put us in pole position with Liverpool. The next few games however include Spurs, Arsenal and ManU so mid table at best come the end of September :lol:
I thought both teams looked good and Palace should have made more of their first half superiority. Capoue was very lucky not to see red, and that would certainly have changed the game. I dont think that we will be taking 6 points from your team this season Moby.
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 27 Aug 2018, 11:21

towny44 wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 10:42
Manoverboard wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 10:06
I thought both teams looked good and Palace should have made more of their first half superiority. Capoue was very lucky not to see red, and that would certainly have changed the game. I dont think that we will be taking 6 points from your team this season Moby.
Yes, I suspect that such an achievement this season will be a much tougher task for the Terriers. Last season we had an incredible number of injuries but many of those key players who missed out have either returned or will be shortly. Having the same calm and measured Manager will also help. Lady Luck was not in our corner last season either but with the Capoue yellow and a wind assisted goal by Holebas it seems that the tide may be turning.

Good luck with your second season, it will be tough and especially so without your ex Hornet J Hogg … that could have been a yellow too.

:wave:

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 27 Aug 2018, 22:46

Man Utd were well and truly beaten tonight by Spurs, poor old Jose looked shell shocked at the end. They desperately need some new, top quality, central defenders otherwise they are going to end up missing out on the Champions league yet again. Spurs ran rings round them and although MU pressed hard their midfielders always seemed to be looking over their shoulder, worrying what the next catastrophe would befall their defenders.
John

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 27 Aug 2018, 23:14

The problem with Utd is they have 5 CB,s, not one is good enough,Jones is injury prone,Smalling is a mistake waiting to happen,Lindelof is out of is depth as are Balley and Rojo. Jose wanted another CB but the board wouldn’t back him. 2 of those are Jose’s signings.The buck has to stop with him.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 28 Aug 2018, 09:25

Jose would possible argue that his two signing were ' cover for ' his main man … who didn't materialise.

He could also be playing mind games in an attempt to get his own way come the January window ?

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 28 Aug 2018, 09:52

Well his main target Alderwiereld is available in Jan for £25m. Utd need to go for a DOF and not let Woodward anywhere near transfer dealings.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 28 Aug 2018, 14:11

screwy wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 09:52
Well his main target Alderwiereld is available in Jan for £25m. Utd need to go for a DOF and not let Woodward anywhere near transfer dealings.
I think that he will walk away before Xmas, screwy.
If they don't avoid defeat in their next match, then he'll be gone.

Funnily my heart doesn't beed too much for Man Utd.
Can't think why :lol:

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 28 Aug 2018, 16:00

i used to like you....
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 28 Aug 2018, 17:27

:lol: Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Man United, it's just that they have had an awful good run for their money and it's about time others came to the forefront.
The Fergie era was unique and will probably never be replicated again.

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 28 Aug 2018, 19:02

The thing is, people can slate Utd but must also accept that what they have achieved is through very good money making abilities, bums on seats etc, not like City,Chelsea ,PSG who are bankrolled by Oil money. Madrid and Barca are 2 clubs who have very dodgy state funding.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 02 Sep 2018, 23:03

Moby, you must be getting very excited that you might be doing a Leicester after your start to the season, and I did notice that Claudio Ranieri was in the crowd.
John

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 03 Sep 2018, 06:51

Good to see a club other than the big six up there at the top. Well done the 'Ornets!!!!

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 03 Sep 2018, 10:02

The last time Watford beat Spurs was in 1987 so we were due a result :clap: :lol: :clap:

40 points, doing a double over Everton and finishing 10th-ish at the end of the season will do very nicely, we cannot possibly compete against the big boys on an ongoing basis. The Foxes achievement was deffo a one off.

Claudio was caught on camera watching our Palace match last week … is he looking for tips ? :angel:

ps … yeah, feeling just a tad excited :wave:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 01 Oct 2018, 18:25

7 games in …. what's that, 1/5th of the season ? …. Arsenal 5th, Watford 6th, Leicester 7th and Huddersfield a lowly 20th.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 01 Oct 2018, 20:42

By Christmas you are supposed to be top! What are your lot dithering about at? :lol:
At long last we seem to be getting our act together and playing some decent football. Early days yet but it could be a lot worse. We could be Man Utd!!! How much longer can Jose hang on? :think:

Return to “General Chat”