Tipping thread

Chat about anything here

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Tipping thread

Post by barney » 01 Oct 2018, 16:26

I wonder if the decision to withdraw the optional gratuities by P&O was done in advance of the Tory conference to legislate that all tips must by law go to the intended recipients.

Were they 'tipped' off ? :lol:

Maths dictate that they must have been trousering a fair amount of the staff tips.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Tipping thread

Post by towny44 » 01 Oct 2018, 16:34

I doubt that cruise line tips would be covered by the govt. announcement about restaurant tips, and I do not believe that Princess, Cunard and the RCI group will be stopping their auto grat charges on UK cruises.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 01 Oct 2018, 16:36

…. and I don't believe that any of them are ' stealing ' the tips given by passengers for their staff.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 01 Oct 2018, 18:05

But they were not tips - it was/is a "service charge"!

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 01 Oct 2018, 18:11

Manoverboard wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 16:36
…. and I don't believe that any of them are ' stealing ' the tips given by passengers for their staff.
I agree Moby. I put that theory in the same box as the US faked the moon landing, George Bush ordered the demolition of the Twin Towers and Prince Philip assassinated Princess Diana.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 01 Oct 2018, 22:49

Manoverboard wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 16:36
I don't believe they "steal" it, but neither do I think it went into a pool and was all distributed to staff. From replies I, and others, have had from P&O about tipping it appears to me that when the last wage negotiation was done P&O agreed to a wage level somewhat close to the old total. Then there was the promise of a new performance related bonus on top of this, to fund this new structure P&O agreed that they would underwrite the tip amount regardless of how many paid, hence the recent need to increase the tip level as more and more passengers reduced or deleted it.
As a result the recent decision to do away with tips has allowed P&O to stop the monitoring of the auto tip receipts, probably saving quite a bit of admin, and they are now totally responsible for staff wages, which is how it always should have been.
It is very possible that other lines might follow suit if enough passengers delete the "discretionary" auto tip, apparently MSC have already done so for UK sailings, and I think NCL are very close to doing the same for their UK sailings.
Power to the people!!!!!
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 22 Feb 2019, 17:19

A quick update. We've just received our Holiday Information for our Azura cruise this year, which will be one the first since tips were removed/included in the price. In our case the former since we'd booked before the announcement.

Under "Great service comes as standard" it says "tipping isn't required or expected".

That's pretty clear.

I don't expect to hear any hints about handing over additional cash at our discretion.

I also hope we will no longer be asked daily if our cruise has been "excellent"!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 22 Feb 2019, 17:33

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:19
"tipping isn't required or expected"
... but would be appreciated :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 22 Feb 2019, 17:48

…. even if they don't get any extras

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 22 Feb 2019, 17:50

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
A quick update. We've just received our Holiday Information for our Azura cruise this year, which will be one the first since tips were removed/included in the price. In our case the former since we'd booked before the announcement.

Under "Great service comes as standard" it says "tipping isn't required or expected".

That's pretty clear.

I don't expect to hear any hints about handing over additional cash at our discretion.

I also hope we will no longer be asked daily if our cruise has been "excellent"!

We were asked that a few times but when I said their service was rubbish and that there was room for improvement the question stopped … but the laughter started. :wave:

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 » 22 Feb 2019, 17:55

david63 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:33
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I think it would be best not to, (tip separately, I mean), as this will just open up the can of worms that tipping was in the past. its now clear cut and dead and buried as far as I'm concerned. no more envelopes, :clap: :clap: :clap:
regards gilly.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 22 Feb 2019, 18:43

gilly88 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:55
ts now clear cut and dead and buried as far as I'm concerned. no more envelopes
Up to a point I agree but it someone goes "above and beyond" and gives excellent service then, in my opinion, a reward is justified.

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 22 Feb 2019, 19:44

david63 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:33
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Tough! I always paid when it was "expected", despite subsidising increasingly those who queued at reception to avoid it.

No more!

Stands back in tin hat!

(Anyone for a ciggy on a sunbed with the bloke who wears his track suit on formal nights?)

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B » 22 Feb 2019, 20:02

Ah, the tipping thread, it will never die. As for the 'how was your cruise' card , I always gave the best 9 (am I correct in saying it was out of 10) what ever, I added in the box , no matter how good the service was, there was always room for improvement.

Return to “General Chat”