Chat about anything here

Topic author
Whynd1
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Advice needed

Post by Whynd1 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:00

Morning all

Advice needed here p!ease, I am having problems with my Samsung galaxy nexus tablet. It's four years old and constantly needs charging and I am now having problems with chrome. I have followed advice and reinstalled it but it's not a lot better. Takes ages to do anything and the screen goes black when loading some websites.

So if I bite the bullet and buy something new am I better off with an apple I pad or an Android tablet.
I do not download any games, music or films etc but would need to be able to print from my WiFi printer.

Thank you to anyone who can give advice.

Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice needed

Post by david63 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:07

Whynd1 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 10:00
I am now having problems with chrome
There are many problems with Chrome currently - try another browser.
Whynd1 wrote:
So if I bite the bullet and buy something new am I better off with an apple I pad or an Android tablet.
Both have their pluses and minuses - personally I dislike them both (no I dislike anything Apple more than anything else :thumbdown: but that's just me)
Whynd1 wrote:
would need to be able to print from my WiFi printer.
Unless your printer is AirPrint compatible you will not be able to print from an iPad.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:15

I have used an iPad for years and love them. I can print with no problem - my printer is wireless and just picks up my iPad.
Gill

Topic author
Whynd1
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Whynd1 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:29

I can print now from this Samsung tablet.

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 18 Feb 2019, 10:48

Hi whynd

I know nowt about computers etc but thought this might help with your battery drain.

Just another thought, have you tried another suitable charger just in case yours is on the blink?

jerrykur
Originally Posted by Sean bell
It's been on charge for 3 days now with no signs of life until 3.30am this morning when i finally got it to turn on. 8% battery life and charging it said so left it alone. Got up this morning, nada so can't implement any of the advice on this forum. Am seriously considering dumping google and moving to kindle instead. We should'nt have to turn this or that off on a quality product that we've paid good money for.
Are you using the charger and cable that came with the device? A phone charger does not output enough current. You need a charger that is rated for 5 volts at 1.2 or greater Amps.

Once you do get it running, go to the power screen and figure out what is consuming your battery. You might have a poor wifi connection, or live somewhere where there are multiple wifi connections and the "Always Scanning" setting is turned on so the unit is constantly looking for a better connection. You may also have a bad app that is constantly running. But the key is to get to the battery/power screen and figure out what is using power

Regards

keith

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 18 Feb 2019, 13:52

GillD46 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 10:15
I have used an iPad for years and love them. I can print with no problem - my printer is wireless and just picks up my iPad.

Same here.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 18 Feb 2019, 14:19

My take on iffy batteries, my HTC phone battery started playing up 12 months ago, even though I rarely use the phone the battery drained flat in about 24 hrs, it would show 80% full last thing at night but would be dead by morning. As I use it rarely, mainly for texts on holiday, I have put up with it and just charge it daily or even more frequently
When we returned from holiday earlier this month my son offered me his old Google phone which has just been replaced, within days my old phone started to behave normally again, it no longer drains out overnight and I only charge it 2 or 3 times a week, now you tell me that electrical gadgets don't have minds of their own!!!!
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 18 Feb 2019, 16:08

towny44 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 14:19
now you tell me that electrical gadgets don't have minds of their own!!!!
Probably sulking because you had a "new" phone!!

Topic author
Whynd1
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Whynd1 » 23 Mar 2019, 10:53

Quick update

After a bit of research mainly deciding if I wanted an I pad, or did I want to go with another tablet.
I just upgraded from my old Samsung nexus to the newest model.

Very pleased with it,lovely clear screen and an excellent camera and like the old one it can print from my wifi printer.

Excellent reviews on J Lewis web site and two year guarantee, was £20 cheaper on Amazon but decided to purchase from John Lewis, as their after sales service is excellent.

Lindsey

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 » 23 Mar 2019, 11:31

I would always buy from JL, whatever it may be, for their after sales service.
Gill

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 23 Mar 2019, 14:50

I used to buy most of our electronic items from JL but not any more.

The purchase that changed it all was a Panasonic TV with a 5 year JL guarantee. The set developed an unknown fault but their repairing agents were totally unable to resolve the problem. They gave up and billed me for their several failed attempts because Panasonic wouldn't reimburse them but I refused to pay. Meanwhile I had explained my problem to a local TV shop and because they understood the nature of the problem liaised with Panasonic on my behalf. This resulted in a replacement motherboard and a number of unforeseen software updates for the model involved.

The company involved are part of the Euronics Group and they were reimbursed in full by Panasonic. Deal with somebody who knows what they are doing and one that does not outsource the guarantee is my advice.

Last edited by Manoverboard on 23 Mar 2019, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”