Daylight Saving

Chat about anything here
User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9693
Joined: February 2013

Daylight Saving

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Mar 2019, 15:12

So the EU is now debating ending their ruling that all states must alter their clocks forward and back on the same days in March and October.

So called daylight saving. Supposedly it saves energy. In practice it seems it doesn't.

Can someone explain it to me?

The number of hours of daylight is set by the sun and the rotation of the earth. The time the clock displays is irrelevant to that. So how does changing them "save" daylight?

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9783
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by Stephen » 26 Mar 2019, 15:18

Just leave it on one or the other.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by towny44 » 26 Mar 2019, 16:44

No I quite like moving it around, although I would move our clocks in line with Canada, which sort of shortens winter and lengthens Spring and summer, although that might be a concept that Merv cannot grasp.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9693
Joined: February 2013

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Mar 2019, 16:58

I can't. The hours of daylight stay exactly the same!

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by towny44 » 26 Mar 2019, 17:13

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 16:58
I can't. The hours of daylight stay exactly the same!
Yes but daylight is more useful at some chronological times than others.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9693
Joined: February 2013

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Mar 2019, 17:57

Not sure that's true in the 21st Century.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7436
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by Manoverboard » 26 Mar 2019, 18:03

Daylight is deffo useful for children going to morning school in Scotland but we live in Darzet and it b'aint be a problem for us cos t'horse can find its own way whatever the prevailing conditions.

ps … it is only at such times that one realises how many clocks one has don'tcha know.

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5859
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by david63 » 26 Mar 2019, 21:29

Manoverboard wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 18:03
ps … it is only at such times that one realises how many clocks one has don'tcha know.
Radio controlled clocks are the way forward

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9693
Joined: February 2013

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Mar 2019, 21:39

david63 wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 21:29
Manoverboard wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 18:03
ps … it is only at such times that one realises how many clocks one has don'tcha know.
Radio controlled clocks are the way forward
And backward in October?

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9693
Joined: February 2013

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Mar 2019, 21:41

Manoverboard wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 18:03
Daylight is deffo useful for children going to morning school in Scotland but we live in Darzet and it b'aint be a problem for us cos t'horse can find its own way whatever the prevailing conditions.

ps … it is only at such times that one realises how many clocks one has don'tcha know.
I get that but there is such a difference in daylight north to south. The days are shorter full stop in Scotland. If they get more light going to school they get less coming home.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by towny44 » 26 Mar 2019, 22:25

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 21:41
Manoverboard wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 18:03
Daylight is deffo useful for children going to morning school in Scotland but we live in Darzet and it b'aint be a problem for us cos t'horse can find its own way whatever the prevailing conditions.

ps … it is only at such times that one realises how many clocks one has don'tcha know.
I get that but there is such a difference in daylight north to south. The days are shorter full stop in Scotland. If they get more light going to school they get less coming home.
If wee Krankie Sturgeon had received Dorset daylight, she might have ended up taller.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7024
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by oldbluefox » 26 Mar 2019, 22:43

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 21:41
Manoverboard wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 18:03
Daylight is deffo useful for children going to morning school in Scotland but we live in Darzet and it b'aint be a problem for us cos t'horse can find its own way whatever the prevailing conditions.

ps … it is only at such times that one realises how many clocks one has don'tcha know.
I get that but there is such a difference in daylight north to south. The days are shorter full stop in Scotland. If they get more light going to school they get less coming home.
I'm with you Merv. I never understood the logic. The amount of daylight is the same no matter what you do with the clocks.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4585
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by towny44 » 26 Mar 2019, 23:25

oldbluefox wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 22:43
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 21:41
Manoverboard wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 18:03
Daylight is deffo useful for children going to morning school in Scotland but we live in Darzet and it b'aint be a problem for us cos t'horse can find its own way whatever the prevailing conditions.

ps … it is only at such times that one realises how many clocks one has don'tcha know.
I get that but there is such a difference in daylight north to south. The days are shorter full stop in Scotland. If they get more light going to school they get less coming home.
I'm with you Merv. I never understood the logic. The amount of daylight is the same no matter what you do with the clocks.
I still prefer my long daylit evenings in summer, and it getting light earlier in the morning in winter, its only animals that work on sunrise and sunset, us humans use a clock to get us up and tell us when to go to bed.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2925
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Daylight Saving

Post by barney » 27 Mar 2019, 11:33

I have no hard feelings either way on this subject, but I do object to any decision being implemented upon us from Brussels. ;)

Return to “General Chat”