Notre Dame badly damaged in fire

Chat about anything here

Topic author
Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Notre Dame badly damaged in fire

Post by Kendhni » 16 Apr 2019, 05:31

Very sad to see this iconic building up in flames. It appears the main tower has collapsed but other parts have been saved
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47943705
Last edited by Kendhni on 16 Apr 2019, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Notre Dame badly damaged in fire

Post by david63 » 16 Apr 2019, 06:48

Sad, but the way that things happen. Many churches over the years have suffered major damage and have "re-built" themselves and I suspect that one day Notre Dame will rise Phoenix like from the ashes but what I don't want to see is it being re-created as it was - it should be re-built as of today because that then becomes part of its history.

The thing that amazed me was that the fire services did not have a plan in place on how to access the place in such an emergency!

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 16 Apr 2019, 11:41

david63 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 06:48
Sad, but the way that things happen. Many churches over the years have suffered major damage and have "re-built" themselves and I suspect that one day Notre Dame will rise Phoenix like from the ashes but what I don't want to see is it being re-created as it was - it should be re-built as of today because that then becomes part of its history.

The thing that amazed me was that the fire services did not have a plan in place on how to access the place in such an emergency!

I thought it was a 'retreat' plan.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 16 Apr 2019, 11:43

I see that Macron now wants the "International community" to contribute towards restoration! Would that be in the same way that the French respond to other disasters?

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 16 Apr 2019, 12:25

Re the financial side …

Approx 14,000,000 visitors per year at $3EU ( ? ) equates to $EU 420,000,000 over a 10 year period.

Where has all that money gone and what happened to good old fashioned Insurance.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry » 16 Apr 2019, 12:36

I understand that entry to Notre Dame was free unlike many of our religious buildings. It was one of Macrons better decisions to make entry to all historic buildings free of charge.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 16 Apr 2019, 12:41

colin parry wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 12:36
I understand that entry to Notre Dame was free unlike many of our religious buildings. It was one of Macrons better decisions to make entry to all historic buildings free of charge.
Donations however are most welcome …. wouldn't the majority pop a Euro note in the box ?

Topic author
Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 16 Apr 2019, 12:45

Manoverboard wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 12:25
Where has all that money gone and what happened to good old fashioned Insurance.
They were talking about this exact thing on the radio this morning. Apparently, it is due to the nature of many of the antiquities, works of art etc. nobody would be willing to provide insurance at a price that would be viable to pay. So like many charitable organizations they self insure and hope for the best.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 16 Apr 2019, 12:50

Kendhni wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 12:45
Manoverboard wrote:
They were talking about this exact thing on the radio this morning. Apparently, it is due to the nature of many of the antiquities, works of art etc. nobody would be willing to provide insurance at a price that would be viable to pay. So like many charitable organizations they self insure and hope for the best.
But …. due to the restoration work already in progress the majority of the art treasures are safe, it was reported.

In any event Building insurance was surely possible ?

Topic author
Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 16 Apr 2019, 13:25

Manoverboard wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 12:50
Kendhni wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 12:45
Manoverboard wrote:
But …. due to the restoration work already in progress the majority of the art treasures are safe, it was reported.

In any event Building insurance was surely possible ?
And at that point you totally exceed my knowledge on the matter :)

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 16 Apr 2019, 14:49

david63 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 11:43
I see that Macron now wants the "International community" to contribute towards restoration! Would that be in the same way that the French respond to other disasters?
Well, he could always see his bestest buddies in Brussels to cough up the cash. :sarcasm:
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 16 Apr 2019, 14:49

Manoverboard wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 12:41
colin parry wrote:
Donations however are most welcome …. wouldn't the majority pop a Euro note in the box ?
Err,No.!
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 16 Apr 2019, 15:36

screwy wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:49
david63 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 11:43
Well, he could always see his bestest buddies in Brussels to cough up the cash. :sarcasm:
How about if we put up the money in exchange for dropping the NI backstop, access to the free market and access to the Customs Union?

Oh sorry wrong topic :o

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 16 Apr 2019, 16:46

screwy wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:49
Manoverboard wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 12:41
colin parry wrote:
Err,No.!
:lol:

We have visited the Cathedral, mainly for photo opportunities in all honesty, a total of three times. The last two occasions were on organised tours, one from a coach and t'other from a Riverboat. ' Donations ' per person were included in the price for each of these visits so perhaps it is ' Groups ' who get charged rather than the locals / freeloaders ;) and this being the case it would probably represent the majority of tourist visits.

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 16 Apr 2019, 17:56

Probably apply for an EU grant!

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 16 Apr 2019, 18:08

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 17:56
Probably apply for an EU grant!
They have already committed to help. Tusk said this morning that it was not just an icon if France but of all Europe.

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B » 17 Apr 2019, 10:51

Maybe in a few years time, the person on the roof who started it (If it was the case) will, over a glass of wine in a bar, be saying to his mates "did I tell you the story of when I burnt down Notre Dame Cathedral"

MaureenB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by MaureenB » 17 Apr 2019, 12:32

This thread is about Notre-Dame, not more of your simplistic EU bashing, so I suggest we this here.
[/quote]

Oh please DO stop it here and now....................I can easily avoid reading the rantings under the Brexit heading but I really don't want it seeping into other topics

Thank you

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B » 17 Apr 2019, 13:04

Over a billion euros so far to rebuild in the pot.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 17 Apr 2019, 13:13

MaureenB wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 12:32
This thread is about Notre-Dame, not more of your simplistic EU bashing, so I suggest we this here.

Oh please DO stop it here and now....................I can easily avoid reading the rantings under the Brexit heading but I really don't want it seeping into other topics

Thank you
Quite right Maureen … the offending posts have been removed.

Regards MobyMod.

Last edited by Manoverboard on 17 Apr 2019, 13:22, edited 3 times in total.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 17 Apr 2019, 13:27

Seems they may design a new spire for Notre Dame Cathedral.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Apr 2019, 14:12

Manoverboard wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 13:13
MaureenB wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 12:32

Thank you
Quite right Maureen … the offending posts have been removed.

Regards MobyMod.

Well done Moby,
When I said that Tusk had committed to help I didn't mean it to turn into yet another Brexit discussion.
Just that he had said that in the Parliament.
Nice to see Jack staff commenting on another thread though, even if he has been deleted.
:thumbup:

Return to “General Chat”