Extinction Rebellion

Chat about anything here

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Extinction Rebellion

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Apr 2019, 10:33

I have mixed views on this bunch causing mayhem for people trying to go about their daily lives.

Yes in this country we have free speech and peaceful protest is part of our culture. But there have to be limits. The people trying to get on with life have rights too. Should any one person's rights trump another's?

But the biggest issue for me is their demand is unattainable. They want zero carbon emssions by 2025. Six years away. Have they thought through what that means? Is there a scientist within their midst?

All diesel and petrol cars off the roads. And buses and lorries. And hybrids.

Only fully electric vehicles permitted. Amnd those can only be those already existing. There are a lot of carbon emissions in buliding new ones. And no spare parts. So when they're gone they're gone. So within 5 years no road vehicles remaining. Or trains.

Or ships or planes. Horses and carts are ouyt too. They breathe (and ****!) We become totally geographically isolated.

All oil, coal and gas power stations closed. Only renewables permitted. And no new ones of those as above because of carbon cost of building.

In fact no manufactrure or construction of any sort.

No gas, coal or word burning heating. All must be electric, powered from renewable sources only. The rapidly diminishing resources that is.

No agriculture. So no food.

And no breathing out!

In fact it's not the dark ages. It's worse. It's extinction far faster than climate change will achieve it.

Reducing emissions is a sensible aim. But their target is impossible to achieve. So what is the ppint of their demos?

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by barney » 18 Apr 2019, 10:49

Reducing emissions is a sensible aim. But their target is impossible to achieve. So what is the point of their demos?

Raising awareness Merv.
It's as simple as that.

The huge issue of over population is also something that should also be tackled.
More people means more resources.

What is a sustainable population for the UK ?
70 million
80 million
100 million

When does it become an ecological issue ?

Everyone tries to do their bit, don't they.

We shop as locally as possible and try to use supermarkets a little as possible.
We shop
1st local
2nd UK
3rd imported

All we can do is what we think is right and hope that others do the same.

Will these demos change attitudes ?
Let's hope it changes a few.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Apr 2019, 11:13

barney wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 10:49
What is a sustainable population for the UK ?
70 million
80 million
100 million
50 million felt good! Our islands feel increasingly crowded, especially when you compare them with places like France with about the same population and two and a half times the area.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 18 Apr 2019, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 18 Apr 2019, 12:24

There was an experiment many years ago where a town was built in miniature.

The population were mice.

Food and water etc was provided but kept at the same level, not surprisingly the numbers of the mice increased and it didn't take too long for all out war to break out …. just saying.

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 18 Apr 2019, 15:20

I take it all these people walked to London,etc or went by Bike.? Woman on Andrew Bolton this morning complaing of air pollution,groups sat behind her smoking away on whatever.? She had a annoying habit of calling him 'my love' !!
They should bring in the water cannon and hose them off.
BTW. ive just finished a book by Michael Chrichton...State of Fear, all about Climate change,i know its a novel buthe has lots of references from Scientists that kind of Poo Poo the theory, well worth a read.He does state that he takes neither one side or tother..
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Apr 2019, 16:30

An interest example of conflicting science, what I often call knee jerk science because everyone hops on the latest bandwagon, became clear when the One Show were featuring the anti-plastic campaign last night.

Yes there are problems with plastic.

But the alternative materials of tin cans and glass bottles, while they may be more easily recycleable, are much more carbon intensive.

Is this diesel cars all over again? Saviour of the planet one day. The work of the devil ten years later.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 19 Apr 2019, 05:34

These guys have a point but disrupting other peoples lives is not the way to go about it.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 19 Apr 2019, 08:58

Another type of Drone attack is set to disrupt Heathrow this holiday weekend. This time it's the angry noise of climate change activists as they buzz around the airport trying to cause as much inconvenience to passengers as possible.
I assume they had to delay their start up to ensure that queen bee eco warrior Dame Emma was able to fly in safely to add her voice to the drone.
Last edited by towny44 on 19 Apr 2019, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob » 03 May 2019, 14:38

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 16:30
An interest example of conflicting science, what I often call knee jerk science because everyone hops on the latest bandwagon, became clear when the One Show were featuring the anti-plastic campaign last night.

Yes there are problems with plastic.

But the alternative materials of tin cans and glass bottles, while they may be more easily recycleable, are much more carbon intensive.

Is this diesel cars all over again? Saviour of the planet one day. The work of the devil ten years later.
Science has nothing to do with it. Their demands are nowhere close to being realistic. I heard one of them suggest that simply by not leaving our phones on charge all the time we could make a significant change. Here's a thought. Why not turn your phone off al the time or better still, not buy one? I wonder if any of them know how much power is consumed by Facebook alone? In 2017 it was 2.46 terawatt hours. As a comparison in 2014 the UK as a whole used 2.249 TWh.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06610-y
https://data-economy.com/data-centres-w ... ower-2025/

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 03 May 2019, 16:43

Another, a Vegan using this as an excuse to push their agenda, claimed that 95% of all CO2 emissions are the result of animal farming.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 03 May 2019, 17:21

If we are all eating beans and pulses can you imagine what that is going to do to methane levels? Just saying............

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 04 May 2019, 08:47

Prrrrrp ….. :angel:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays » 04 May 2019, 11:35

I know someone who said they never farted, I think they walked on water as well! 😋😜

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 04 May 2019, 12:03

Who's been talking

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 04 May 2019, 14:23